PDA

View Full Version : I would like to help rebuild/maintain an aircraft.

Rusty Cessna
9th Nov 2000, 01:45
Hiya all.

I was mesmerized the other day when I watched "Plane Crazy", featured on it was a guy who must only be described as the opposite of impoverished! This person owns and does up his very own Victor bomber! Now he had a few mates that me managed to get ethereally coiled in this perplexing project and who offered to help out with it and when watching I though, "I wanna do something like that".

Now im not about to go and buy my own Victor, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any group accessible to a lad from Plymouth (relies on trains or busses to get anywhere far away) that would be interested in letting a 16 year old help do up and rejuvenate any of their aircraft.

I feel I am technically minded and receive lots of beneficial tuition from my dad as he is an Ex naval engineer, and am very much willing to work though the night and for free! Just for a bit of fun and experience.

I live in Plymouth and so the closer the better, and the farther away simply means I wont be able to do it more often. I just would love to help restore something like a Dakota or Warbird or something.

ROLLER STAMP
9th Nov 2000, 03:55
I SUGGEST YOU GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!
NOBODY IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD WANT TO WORK ON AN AEROPLANE ESPECIALLY FOR FREE.
IT,S BAD ENOUGH DOING IT FOR LOADS OF CASH!!!

Blacksheep
9th Nov 2000, 15:21
Don't be so rough on the guy ROLLER. He sounds like a fine engineer in the making. I did a bit of voluntary restoration work in the past and don't regret a minute of it. The old heap still flys and gives a good deal of pleasure to many people. At a guess I'd say that even you have seen our old project at some time and liked it.

Rusty,

Try using the search engines, 'Dogpile' is very good at this sort of search. There are a few projects with links on the web. Here's a couple of links to get you started:
http://www.reading.ac.uk/AcaDepts/sn/wsn1/dept/av/gb.html http://warbird.totavia.com/index.html

I dunno if your dad being an ex-matelot helps but the Fleet Air Arm Museum is quite near to you at Yeovilton. If an old sailor twists their arm they might let you in to do some tea making and sandpapering. Restoration work always calls for gallons of tea and lots of experienced sandpaperers! As in all things you start at the bottom and work your way up.

Through difficulties to the cinema

[This message has been edited by Blacksheep (edited 09 November 2000).]

jetfueldrinker
10th Nov 2000, 00:38
Go easy on the lad, he is only trying to gain experience and he sounds like a fine chap to me. By the way, I too would like to be involved in a project like Rusty has in mind, but I would also like to stay married!

I am a little too far away from your neck of the woods to offer any practicle advice Rusty, but only this:-

If you want to become a millionare, start of as a billionare and take on an aircraft restoration project! It aint cheep and it aint for the faint harted either, and it can take several years of blood, sweat toil, tears and domestic difficulties before the fruits of your labour are completed. Good luck any way

JFD

ROLLER STAMP
10th Nov 2000, 03:22
YES YOU ARE RIGHT I WAS A BIT HARSH ON HIM AND APPOLOGISE.
THE REAL WORLD IN AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE, FOR ME ANYWAY ,CONSISTS OF LONG HOURS USUALLY OUTSIDE ON THE LINE AT NIGHT IN FREEZING COLD WEATHER TRYING TO FIX A U/S AIRCRAFT WITH A LOAD OF USELESS MANAGERS ON MY BACK ,WHO WON,T ACCEPT DELAYS.ALL THEY WANT IS A STAMP IN THE TECH LOG WETHER IT,S LEGAL OR NOT,IT,S ALL ABOUT MONEY SAFETY COMES SECOUND.
GOOD LUCK TO THE YOUNG LAD.

TwoDeadDogs
11th Nov 2000, 05:32
Hi,Rusty
It might be slightly off track for you but I reckon you should try to get to know PFA members and offer assistance with building kit aircraft or restoring ragwings.There's bound to be a PFA Strut near where you live and the PFA at Shoreham will advise you.You'll make good contacts and once people see that you are genuine,you'll enjoy yourself.
All the best
TDD

100LL
12th Nov 2000, 03:25
I reckon you ought to keep away from PFA from what I’ve seen, you’ll get some real bad habits wouldn't let some of em lose with an Airfix kit. PFA = PAY F*CK ALL. Just had a run in with a Glasair owner wanted everything for nothing P clips jubilee clips fluid 4 and tools? Then he went and got A/C out of Hanger and run it flat out prop wash in Hanger no F*CKIN IDEA

Genghis the Engineer
12th Nov 2000, 14:03
I'm with TwoDeadDogs, join the PFA and go and meet up with your local strut. There will be no shortage of people who'd appreciate your help on their own projects - no money in it but you might get the odd bit of free flying out of it.

Yes there are some bad practices going on in permit aircraft operation, but there are also some extremely good people you can learn a lot from. I'd venture that although the ratio is hopefully more favourable, the same is probably true of CofA aircraft.

G

Rusty Cessna
12th Nov 2000, 15:22
Thanks very much for all the advice people, I just want to make it clear though, I do not really aspire to be an Engineer, I want to be a pilot. I think I will leave the tinkering for your capable hands.

Rusty

SchmiteGoBust
12th Nov 2000, 22:01
Rusty,
You could always try any gliding club. A lot of the members are always fixing up their own projects and a willing pair of hands is always greatly needed. You may find it could also help get you free flying lessons ......and the dope's great man!!!!!!!