PDA

View Full Version : Human Factors

The Invisible Man
7th Nov 2000, 12:18
Your thoughts would be appreciated on the following. Most companies now follow Human Factors reporting procedures, investigating an incident "after" the event. On the human side, personal questions are asked about your health, state of mind, relevent personal problems etc. I ask for your thoughts because recently I had I felt I was a human factor waiting to happen. Problems with family and health made my concentration at work almost none existent. I made a few non-technical errors, never made any before in my long career in aviation. I am obviously aware of AWN's concerning my fitness for work. How many could go to their employers and state that they felt at risk of making mistakes and what would be their reaction. Would they be sympathetic ??? Would they do a Human Factors before the event ???

jetfueldrinker
8th Nov 2000, 00:59
Right then, this is the second attempt at replying to this as I got booted out on the first! Bloody Internet!

Like you I have an ongoing family health problem, plus in the last few years I have suffered a lot of bereavement. Looking back I came quite close to a nervous breakdown last year. I was constantly tired and this may have given the impression that my mind was not on the job or that I wasn't consentrating. I took on an approval holders position, and my boss was aware of my situation. Consequently, my approvals were put on hold. This may have been the right decision, I do not know; I have not made any cock ups though, but it seems that I gave the impression that I might. This has cost me dearly, and there are other people who have been with the company a shorter time than I have who have more approvals than me, which upsets me even further! But I am not bitter.

So what advice can I give to you? Tell youe supervisor the outlines of your situation. Maybe take some holiday. If you work for a company that at least semi decent, they should realise your predicament and help you out. Aircraft safety is surposed to be paramount no matter who you work for, and your company should realise this.

Just as an asside, there was a bloke who worked in a sweet factory who needed some time away to sort out a problem. He was refused. There was a serious senece of humour failure in Blackpool when everyone who bought rock as a souvanier saw that they bought Bastards rock instead of Blackpool! And at what cost to the sweet factory!

I do hope that everything works out for you and that your family member gets better.

JFD

reracker
8th Nov 2000, 01:15
AWN 47 is not a guideline, it is a legal requirement. Read it. Your employers are legally bound by it as well. If I was management, I would rather somebody said they had a problem than hide it and all the problems that could ensue.

The Invisible Man
8th Nov 2000, 15:14
Thanks for your concern JFD. My problems have all but disappeared thank goodness. I do work for a resonable company who adhere to most H & S matters. I have never known anybody who have used AWN's, they are law, I agree, but does anyone out there have experience of invoking AWN's. By the lack of response to my question to date, I have to ask do all British Companies have Human Factor reporting in place. What do our American / Canadian counterparts have?? This was the only instance in my career when I felt that my mind was not 100% on the job. ( Apart from leching over stewardesses !!! ) I was a minor risk I suppose, Did I have the guts to tell someone?.......no. I should have done.