PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a few answers..

SamGuest
12th Jun 2005, 22:23
Hello there!

New to PPrune, spent the past few hours reading through the countless numbers of pages, found sum very humouress and interesting topics, but sadly have not answered the specific questions that i have.

I have just finished my first year of sixth form college and have 11 months left, before i enter the big wide world.

When i leave, or 'graduate' in summer 2006, i am hoping to become a C/C.
I would prefer to work for a LCC, atleast to start with, such as easyJet or Ryanair, before moving onto the 'big boys'

I was wondering if you lot could tell me the best way about entering the C/C career field. Is it best to send in your C/V to an airline with a covering letter? or to visit the 'job fairs' and opening evenings? i really dont know!

I currently work at Newcastle Airport (NCL / EGNT), in one of the stores in the departure lounge, and have been working within the customer services field for almost a year now.

Is customer services the best type of experiance to gain before applying as CC?

Also, i live close to Newcastle Airport, but am i going to be better of moving down to London for better chance of recruitment? Because lets face, there is about to be more openings for people based in London rather than up here in Newcastle.

As common sense kicks it, i realise that it may get as a very boring routine working on a LCC all my life. Therefore i do actually hope to work on long haul services such as LHR>JFK etc, etc. What do the big airlines such as VAA, BA and MA look for in people working on these long haul flights? or is it just basically the same recruitment process as LCC's?

I would like to thank you all in advance for taking the time to hear me out, and would like as much advice and tips as possible, thanks allot people! :)

Flying_Sarah747
12th Jun 2005, 22:39
Just curious, why do you want to start at a LCC??? I'd never worked for an airline before, but went straight into BA. With these big carriers it's all about seniority, so the sooner you get in the quicker you become senior, and the quicker you'll get to long haul.

Anyway, in answer to your question, I'd say that customer service experience is probably one of the most valuable things you can have when applying to an airline, cause they always want examples of you dealing with customers etc.

I'm not sure what the recruitment process is for the LCC's cause I've only ever applied to QF and BA, but I would assume it would be much along the same lines...Group interview, pannel interview, medicals etc.

Hope this helps a bit!

SamGuest
12th Jun 2005, 22:47
I thought the 'big' airlines such as British Airways, Virgin, etc etc only look into people will experiance as crew, where as airlines such as easyJet don't.

What's the recruitment process like at BA? Are they more 'strict' than other airlines, etc...

I'd also much rather start on UK>Spain, Greece etc routes too, to get my confidence and personal skills as a CC built up, as i wouldnt like to work on longhaullers with crew of many and many years of experiance, because id just feel stupid! :)

Another question was, is it 'hard' to find work as CC? because ive learned that it is VERY tricky to become a pilot and can take anything up to 5-6 years!

I dont really fancy having to get a job inbetween the end of college and being a CC, id much rather be able to walk into it!

I've read on a few airline's recuitment page that they require 'GCSE Grade C above, must include English" - do they not require higher education?

Flying_Sarah747
12th Jun 2005, 23:40
I suggest you try for BA. We are recruiting at the moment, and you'll be put on Eurofleet, so you'll be doing the whole of Europe, and they seem to be adding in a few long haul routes too, like I just did a Tel Aviv 2 day trip (Had an absoloutely WILD time) and next month we're getting 5 day Narobis. You'll also get the added bonus of having great night stops to enjoy (On LCC I don't think you'll get this)...Plus Heathrow Eurofleet is very junior at the moment...I've only been there a year and 1/2 but am usually first choice on crew seating positions etc.

BA don't require former airline experience, and if you've got a good customer service background you'll be fine in the interview. I also came straight from university into my job at BA, and I've met heaps of people the same.

There's heaps of airlines in the UK, so I don't think it should be too hard to find a job as cabin crew, as long as you've got the skills they require I can't see why you shouldn't be joining us in the sky very soon! :)

SamGuest
13th Jun 2005, 11:52
Very good! Thanks allot for your help Sarah, much appreciate and also boosted my confidence allot! :D

How long before i am available to work full time as C/C should i apply? :)

I can begin flying as CC full time July 06+

Will also happily move down to Heathrow! :) Should be allot of fun!

Looking forward to it! :D

Flying_Sarah747
13th Jun 2005, 12:06
Well I interviewed with BA in October 2003, then chose a course date of December 2003 cause I didn't finish university until November 2003, so hopefully we'll still be recruiting around April/May 2006, cause that would be a good time for you to apply...why not ring BA and ask them what their plans are in regards to recruitment etc?

SamGuest
13th Jun 2005, 17:17
Wow, more great advice from you, thank you! :)

I will get in touch now and ask what their plans of recruitment for European C/C are, and explain when i leave college etc etc.

Thanks once again for your help!

starbag
14th Jun 2005, 12:38
Just a little bit of advice before you email BA. Please use the spell check before you click send.

KTPops
15th Jun 2005, 00:07
That's a tad bitchy don't you think?

There's a world of difference between posting on a forum and sending an online application. Leave the poor girl alone!

:hmm:

Flying_Sarah747
15th Jun 2005, 19:00
Geez!! I really don't know what's wrong with some people. Is it so hard for people to be NICE?!?!?! I'd look it up in the dictionary if I were you, as you don't seem to understand the meaning!!!!!!!!!!!!!