PDA

View Full Version : How does it work?

Carpass
14th Feb 2001, 04:51
How does the paper work run in CivAir? From an aeroplane going u/s to being returned to service. Exam on the 28th and I still can't work it out. Any help much appreciated. I'm using the MoD F700 at the moment and it seems a lot simpler compared to Module 1
Cheers

martini lemon
16th Feb 2001, 04:16
paperwork is much the same as 700. Driver enters defect on current tech log page, engineer rectifies defect signing for work carried out and stamps with authorisation number. Any components used are entered with relevant part, serial and batch numbers. Hey presto aircraft is serviceable again! (in practice nothing is quite as simple as this and every company has its own quirks within its paperwork.)

jetfueldrinker
16th Feb 2001, 16:22
Also, the Tech Log stays with the aircraft where asthe F700 sits in the line hut. The Current Pages are removed from the Tech Log and they sit in the line hut. I can tell you that it is fun and games taring off the Current Page with cold, wet hands! (Not!). Though it has to be said that some companies' tech log lay outs are better than others.

Carpass
16th Feb 2001, 23:45
Many thanks, where does the CRS and CMR fit in?

jetfueldrinker
17th Feb 2001, 00:19
CRS statement is in small print form on all paperwork relating to aircraft maintenance that will form part of the maintenance task, schedualed or unschedualed. This statement is stamped by an approval holder. (The equivalent of oversignatures in RAF speak, except that the approval holder is legally responsible for work carryed out). Approval holders are licensed in the relavent category, and approved by the company they work for. To hold an approval you need to pass an oral exam, usually of company procedures, and a few 'You find your self in deep doggy doo doos. How can you leagally dig your self out?' type questions. And it can be a total mine field.

CMR is usually signed by a dual licensed engineer with 8 years experience in a supervisory role, working in the Airworthiness department. This is carried out every 3 months or sooner if the CAA deem it to be necessary, and is a paperwork exercise to prove that all maintenance has been carried out, and that all tasks have been recorded correctly. I remember once that a Dupilcate Inspection (Independent in RAF speak) was missed on a thrust reverser and all Hell broke loose. But it was soon rectified.

I Hope that this has been of some benifit to you. Good luck with your civilian career, but remember above all else, when you go into Civvie Street you are Mr. Forget about the RAF as you will be starting afresh, and although you may have been an NCO when you were in, you are not one when you leave. Be perpared to be 'One of the Lads' for at least 6 months before you go for your approval as it may take you that long to get your head round the civilian system.

Carpass
17th Feb 2001, 22:46
Thanks again.
Don't worry, I have no intention of bringing the forces with me when I finish. I did think about the police or prison service, but that's swapping one uniform for another. I'll be learning all I can from people who know which end of a Boeing goes first and how the EFIS works.

HeliEng
18th Feb 2001, 01:07
Do you have to know anything about the LAMS system, or just the big guys???

jetfueldrinker
18th Feb 2001, 23:37
In Air Leg, everything is covered from puddle jumpers to 777/A340. The CAA view is that one day you might try your hand at something different, so cater for it when you sit your Air Leg exam. Obviously, they had not thought that one may stick with one type of aircraft for 20 or so years before trying to broarden your horizons, but that is another story.

4Rvibes
21st Feb 2001, 02:57
HeliEng, If you put an e-mail address in your profile I will let you know the secrets of LAMS. (But not lambs, before any of our Aberdeen readers get excited.)