PDA

View Full Version : So, was it the chicken or the beef...?

Barry Cuda
12th Jun 2005, 11:33
BAW 128 in to EGLL just landed after declaring a PAN with "2 crew and at least 50% of the passengers sick".....:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

That's about 120 people currently dashing for the T4 toilets, if the ground crews managed to pop the doors without barfing!!!!:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Gonzo
12th Jun 2005, 12:08
And then it lands and we find out that only two or three cabin crew were affected, not 120 pax! At least those who were ill got three ambulances each! :}

NigelOnDraft
12th Jun 2005, 12:13
And then it lands and we find out that only two or three cabin crew were affected Very unhygenic this Delsey dining :)

Barry Cuda
12th Jun 2005, 18:42
Gonzo, please tell me you're joking... Did we really "part the waves" for a couple of hosties with migraines?

Gonzo
12th Jun 2005, 20:09
I only wish I was, Barry.

flymiss
12th Jun 2005, 23:29
Quote:
Gonzo, please tell me you're joking... Did we really "part the waves" for a couple of hosties.

Oh........you are so caring BC. We should part the waves for any sick person in need of urgent medical attention.

Barry Cuda
13th Jun 2005, 14:28
Flymiss, you have missed my point (which obviously wasn't made very clearly!!!). We were informed that there were 100+ sick people on board, yet it turns out that there were only a handful.

The pilot declared a PAN because he had lots of sick pax and crew. Whenever a pilot declares a pan then we will do our upmost to provide them with an expeditious routing and get them on the ground asap. Which we did, because that is our job.

If he had not declared, and had instead just "mentioned" the parlous state of the health of those on board, angling for a straight in, our hands are tied (as has been discussed on here many times in the past) and we are not in a position to do much out of the ordinary.
Pilots have tried this in the past when they have been running late, etc and it leads to an awful lot of work for those of us controlling everything else in the way.

MaximumPete
14th Jun 2005, 09:10
Barry Cuda,

An excellent posting!

The world is littered with wrecks caused by pilots not declaring an Emergency or a Pan. An aircraft running out of fuel due to ATC delays in North America springs to mind.

Don't forget you can always cancel a Pan or downgrade from an Emergengy to a Pan if things get better.

MP;)

eyeinthesky
15th Jun 2005, 08:18
We should part the waves for any sick person in need of urgent medical attention.

Of course we should. But in this case, the first notice we got of the problem on the aircraft was some 2.5 hours BEFORE it even entered UK airspace.

Obviously not in THAT much need of URGENT medical attention, then..:yuk:

MaximumPete
15th Jun 2005, 10:21
CAP 745 is worth looking at:-

There's some stuff there for pilots as well as controllers

www.caa.co.uk (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP745.pdf)

MP;)

Barry Cuda
15th Jun 2005, 21:53
Thanks, MP, I was trying to find a link to that doc. To save people time reading the whole thing, although it is well worth a read, the relevant paragraph that is oft queried states:

The terms ‘fuel emergency’ and ‘medical emergency’ have no status in the UK and controllers are not required to give priority to aircraft with a reported shortage of fuel or medical problem unless an emergency is declared.