PDA

View Full Version : Crisis looming at SACAA

ruffusruffcut001
12th Jun 2005, 09:18
Heard form one of the technical inspectors that the technical side is going to be chaotic in the coming twelve months, the reason being is that most of the paleface inspectors are going to retire/resign.I say paleface because now it seems that the word white is taboo.
So, the aviation companies must brace themselves for hair pulling situations.

Rhodie
12th Jun 2005, 09:24
Ah yes -

I foresee more groundings as per the Lanseria 'incident'.

"No sah, the aeroplane is grounded becos this one she has propeleers and thus therefore it must take the Avgas, not the JetA1".

:yuk:

:{

R

B Sousa
12th Jun 2005, 11:57
"So, the aviation companies must brace themselves for hair pulling situations."
Au Contrare........Soon it will be do as you like just put dee money in me hand.......

ruffusruffcut001
12th Jun 2005, 14:36
B.Sousa
I hope for the industry,s sake you are wrong and hopefully there are sane leaders in the industry to nip it in the butt.

B Sousa
12th Jun 2005, 16:39
Totally agree Ruff but go back to the Huey thread which is fading away and its a perfect example of money beating up on the SACAA.
Its acceptable to do EEO or Affirmative Aaction, however, you have to replace those in the know with someone who at least has been in an aircraft..

Cessnafan
12th Jun 2005, 18:04
"No sah, the aeroplane is grounded becos this one she has propeleers and thus therefore it must take the Avgas, not the JetA1".

A friend of mine was decended upon at FALA last week where after inspection of the aircraft(a kingair) one of the powers that be was adamant that the airfcraft had to have a TCAS!

Solid Rust Twotter
12th Jun 2005, 19:12
It's been said before.

The new inspectors are unlicenced, have never worked on a shop floor and have no knowledge of the aircraft they're paid to inspect. They can insist on neatly copied paperwork and spurious money grabbing regulations but are unable to spot an incorrectly threaded bolt or a cracked stringer. Issuing them licences willy nilly will not improve things one iota. The issue is flight safety and it doesn't matter a jot how many new forms have to be filled in (except to remove engineers from their primary responsibilities even more), no amount of paperwork makes an aircraft safe to fly. That can only be done by a skilled and appropriately licenced engineer satisfying the requirements of the maintenance manuals.

As you can imagine, this lack of adequate inspection will also adversely affect the value of the aircraft operating on the ZS register, thus effectively devaluing the investment potential of aircraft, leading to fewer jobs and less opportunity.

Is this the job creation scheme that was used as a ploy to win votes at the last election?:(

B Sousa
12th Jun 2005, 20:18
"As you can imagine, this lack of adequate inspection will also adversely affect the value of the aircraft operating on the ZS register, thus effectively devaluing the investment potential of aircraft, leading to fewer jobs and less opportunity. "

Also as mentioned before....Make suspect any document with an origin in SA. Basically saying that if it goes to SA it will stay on the Continent. Not going to do much for the Pilot/Mechanic Licenses either.
So far all of this is down the road, but just around the corner.........

birdlady
12th Jun 2005, 21:00
I suppose then gentlemen that its a good thing that my paperwork is always spot on :ok: :ok: :ok: sorry guys couldnt resist :p :p

B Sousa
13th Jun 2005, 02:40
Birdlady, thats the way it is supposed to be, take pride in the fact that you do things properly.
Point of the above post is that maybe in the future all documents from SA will be suspect. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
sorry, couldnt resist that one............

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Jun 2005, 06:15
Bert, BL...

I don't think the documentation is the problem here. All forms will be filled in to the satisfaction of the CAA inspector. Unfortunately when they inspect an aircraft, they have no idea what they're looking at. Even basic A&P is something of which they have no experience, let alone actually being licenced to work on the aircraft they're inspecting for a Certificate of Airworthiness or Safety. Perhaps a two year apprenticeship at Denel would help but that would delay the headlong rush to "transform" at CAA.:rolleyes:

Beta Light
13th Jun 2005, 07:52
Dear fellow aviators, the crisis is not looming.... just escalating, tried to renew a license by post lately?? Mission impossible! Must be the only org. that do not recognize e-mail as legal correspondence, or reply to an e-mail.

Bit like the assistant at a government org. that was asked to send a fax, after 20 minutes and 50 try’s she informed her superior that the paper kept returning

phydeaux
13th Jun 2005, 09:06
Having an untidy hand writing I downloaded the renewal forms of the Said Organisations site and typed in the information required. I signed it and went to hand it in. The answer follows:

'We is unable to take vat. I can like to be in ve hand writing!' (accent changed to protect the innocent):bored:

B Sousa
13th Jun 2005, 15:09
Proof is in the Pudding. Folks are not having probems making US Money on the Laser Printers. Im sure Licsencing, Aircraft Records, etc, wont be far behind and who would know the difference in Timbuktu??
And Yes it can have a nice big Offical Seal for another R20...
Soon folks wont worry about fighting with the mess.........
This is very Negative stuff, show me a Positive light.....

ruffusruffcut001
13th Jun 2005, 17:53
SRT,
you are thinking along the same lines as I do.You are right on the numbers when you state that job creation is vote hunting, the reason being is that the dreaded disease is taking votes away quicker than what,s being reported in the media.
"No shop experience"
True story:
Had in the hangar the other day a previously disadvantage technical inspector asking me how the anti-skid system works on a Lear 35A.My reply was , fair or unfair, that he should know that or at least look in the manuals which the manufactors supply at a cost.There is a full updated library at H.Q ,Midrand

I.R.PIRATE
13th Jun 2005, 17:59
Hey Bert, heres something positive. We will only have to deal with these clowns while we have a medical and licence. That means that within the next 20-30 years they will be out of our hair. And then we will die, and totally forget about them. At least this punishment is finite....positive dont you think???

B Sousa
13th Jun 2005, 18:12
Well, I wasnt talking THAT positive..ha ha

SASless
13th Jun 2005, 18:17
Now Bert.....you do seem to be leading the pack with some of your thinking of late!

Dear me....Late?

Jangys
17th Jun 2005, 15:17
Heard that some of the flight operation inspectors are also resigning. Ex Nationwide Flight-engineer retiring to Airaquarius, and a Ex airforce Col.... retiring to "SAFAIR"???

Seems like Quality is also now out the door at "that said organisation"

Requirements for new inspectors.... Quote a inspector...."SA CPL"

"aah, sorry Captain wif 15 000hrs, fly-in Booeng 747. buta youra, actually aah notaaaa....doing youra loadsheet correctly...."\\

Like pre-school students they will try to educate and inspect instructors....

ou Trek dronkie
17th Jun 2005, 17:25
When I read all this, I think of some of the guys I used to swear at regularly years ago and I say "Come back please guys, all is forgiven".

oTd

boomarang
14th Jul 2005, 22:17
Heard the SACAA had an unexpected visit from the FAA the other day and got a very rude message.

We conducting an audit of you guys in 90 days since it seems you are not able to do your oversight up to scratch. :ugh:

Implication: If the SACAA does not make the grade .. there goes South Africa's category 1 status and Khaya can kiss his USA ops goodbye.:ooh:

Like to see them run for cover once this assessment comes through.;)

Word is they are now scurrying for "experienced inspectors", never mind the colour. Hold out for better pay guys:E

Watch this space :\

spacedaddy
15th Jul 2005, 14:28
I thought that they will still be able to operate existing services but not be allowed to add any.

Exhaust Manifold
18th Jul 2005, 05:59
This is off the topic of maintenance, but the training organisation that i work for had an inspection last month by CAA. The previously disadvantaged inspector indeed did not even have a licence. :yuk: He then denounced the way the instructors write comments in the students training files.

Couldn't the CAA at least send someone with an instructors rating to inspect a training organisation??? :{

Things definately need to change in the CAA.

B Sousa
18th Jul 2005, 10:55
"Couldn't the CAA at least send someone with an instructors rating to inspect a training organisation???"

The last Domino as it teeters.............

MISSOURI
19th Jul 2005, 20:14
Good Evening all,
Just joined this forum group
There is no crisis at the SA CAA the new boys have it all in hand belive me you have no Idea of what is actually going on there "niether do they"

The ICOA recomendation Chapter 9 The Operations Inspection Organization.
The Inspector of Flying to State Section 9.4.3 While not aboslute the expierience are provide as a broad guide line.

A broad AIR TRANSPORT BACKGROUND of FIVE YEARS OR MORE.

Experience with the PROBLEMS of operating or maintaining transport aircraft .

Met and climatictogical KNOWLEDGE and EXPERIENCE.
experience in TECHNICAL TRAINING including Visual AIDS, Training Devices and aircraft Sims.

REPUTATION for possessing qualities of (wait for it) INITIATIVE,TACT,TOLERANCE and PATIENCE.

9.4.4 Flight inspector should have extensive operational experience not less than 5,000 hours as PIC of airtransport type civil or military aircraft. and should have held an appointment in operational management, as an airline pilot or training instructor.

Our SA CAA has Inspectors with 200 hours and Comm and (wait for it) single engne rating WOw!!!!

We now have these 200 hour Flight Ops Inspectors sent to conduct Part 121 Inspections for Operating Certificate Inspections.

Below is a case taken from the records at the SA CAA

A SA Designated Examiner asked by the SA CAA to do an evaluation of thier Citation SII Calibration Pilots all of which are appointed Flight Ops Inspectors.

Well when this Examiner asked the Pilots to sit a Technical Exam on the the aircraftb that they where all rated on and actively flying the result of this was one pilot refused to sit the Exam, Two actually managed to get below 50%. the other an ex airline pilot his marks where in the high 90's

One of these Pilots who had come from the South African Airforce with a 1,000 hours, logged mind, you 650 of theses where as a Co-Pilot on Carvans well he could not even do timed rate one turns, and when asked to carry out a timed decending turn stated to the examiner "I have never done this before".

Then he could could not work out the sector entry to join the pattern.

Then when on the ILS the manged to get the aircraft one dot low, one dot right, and speed at 250kts Clean in a Citation SII and when asked at 200 feet if he could land of this pproach immediately reached for the gear , when told to go around asked the examiner WHY?.
The examiner then failed an engine on the go around. wow what happened next you ask
well our SA CAA appointed Flight Ops Inspector then managed to get the aircraft 30 degrees off HDG and let the speed decay to stick shaker "note from 250 Kts that must have taken a lot of Skill" and the reaction from our from the Flight Ops Inspector Pilot "what is happening".

Remember he had being flying the SA CAA Citation SII carring out the FLIGHT CALIBRATION for the SA CAA.

I belive the examiner recommeded that his IF Rating be with drawn.

All of a sudden the Examiner was no longer required by the SA CAA I wonder why.

The Question is: HOW DID THIS PILOT EVER PASS A TWIN RATING AND BE ISSUED WITH A COM and IF RATING WHEN THE FLIGHT SCHOOL REFUSED TO GIVE HIM A RECOMENDATION.???

This is the sort of information that should get to ICAO and the FAA .
the SA CAA at present an ACCIDENT LOOKING FOR A PLACE TO HAPPEN.

There is a Massive Crisis at the SA CAA and it must be exposed if we value our licences.

There is a lot more if you out there are interested and will pass this info on to others and other operators.

B Sousa
20th Jul 2005, 05:21
Thats a big WOW from Missouri.........IF other countries come to SA and verify inside scoop like this you can almost guarantee that SA Aircraft will not be permitted in their airspace.....
It would seem from the Missouri post that "empowerment" may be OK where all that goes missing is money, but at the CAA its going to close the door on SA Aviation in the real world.
I think I mentioned some time ago regarding the cape huey mess, that if they were allowed to continue then documents and aircraft from SA would be suspect in other countries. It appears they are still there and with the Missouri post (be it factual) just adds to my reasoning......
Certainly a good guess that Missouri used to have a desk at CAA...

Life'sShort-FlyFast
20th Jul 2005, 08:59
It makes sense now that the countries airline has its own FAA audit. This should allow the continued operation into the USA even if the CAA audit is a problem. Potentially a very good business decision by the airline.

ruffusruffcut001
20th Jul 2005, 16:14
MISSOURI
if you have any hard evidence and want to blow this thing wide open , why dont you contact Carte Blanche and maybe they can go and snoop around at the SACAA , bearing in mind that they must keep your identity secrete.

B Sousa
20th Jul 2005, 17:31
"It makes sense now that the countries airline has its own FAA audit. This should allow the continued operation into the USA even if the CAA audit is a problem. Potentially a very good business decision by the airline."

Lifes Short
I think the punch line is that Governments audit Governments such as FAA auditing CAA. If an Airline has better standards so be it, but if the regulating agency, in this case SACAA is below standards, everything in that countries Aviation becomes suspect.
Thats to say any documentation that must be certified by ,again in this case SACAA wont pass muster. YOUR licenses, Aircraft Registration, ad infinito........
So trust me if the SACAA gets a big "you stink" SAA will drop their folks off in Mexico and bus them to the states...(in my case)
Based on everything thats been posted on various sites regarding da new SACAA, anything is possible.

MISSOURI
20th Jul 2005, 19:24
To ruffusruffcut001

The actual hard evidence is to hand, and available can you guarantee that "it would not loose "its " licence .
What do you think would happen to to the informant who released this infomation if "its" identity got to the CAA I would say no more licence as " it "would be grounded as test after test would be insisted on by our Illustriously unbiased New Boys.

Here is another case again the operators have the hard data

One of the Real Flight Ops Inspectors who was to travel to the US of A to do a Simulator recertification for an Large SA operator in Miami resigne.
He was then refused permission to go to the US to carry out the Sim recertification at the same time another SA Operator required validation of another sim at the same facility.
What happened both operators where in formed that a Certain SA CAA Flight Operations Inspector would be sent to Miami to certify the sims for them.
As this Flight ops Inpector had no US Visa he travelled to Cape town to get the Visa and not to Killarney Johannesburg maybe he though the only Kilarner was in Capetown you never know any way the two operators where in formed taht this little caoper was for their account.
The two operators where then presented with Combined Invoices of R29,000 odd for the proposed trip to Miami for this particular Flight Ops Inspector.
I believe both operators then enquired whether this Flight ops inspector was adequattely Qualified to do the Sim Certification as well to Check the Standard of training for Capt's and FEO's.
This particular Flight Ops Inspector has only a Comm and IF rating and Just over 200 hours. The Flight ops Instpector did not Travel to the USA.

Well you guessed it both Operators have been subjected to massive Inspections one to there maintenance organisation I have been told that this went one for over a week, the other had an incredible operating certificate Inspection, with Flight Ops Inspectors who had only Comm's and the minimum hours to Qualify for those as well.
These are facts and can be verfired by Just Asking the newly appointed ACTING Senior Manager Flight Operations.

Now we know how the SA CAA operates.

How much more can the South African Operators Endure? :mad:

ruffusruffcut001
20th Jul 2005, 20:00
MISSOURI
Thanx for the tremendous info, point taken and I respect your comments.

MISSOURI
25th Jul 2005, 17:59
Hi everyone,
more news from the SA CAA.

The Flight Ops Inspector that was identified by the DE asked to carry out the evluation, was sent to some flight training organization in PE to do remedial training to get him up to speed and to renew his IF Rating.

Well it seems that another 29 Hours your SA TAX money and FEES was spent on his, Simulator and Actual flight training.

When aked if the Flight training organazation had given him a recommendation for an IF Test the answer was "well he was SAFE".

SAFE what does that Mean??
he should be Excellent or HOW CAN HE BE A FLIGHT OPS INSPECTOR?????
Sure beats me.

And now the obvious Who did his re test ?

Need we ask!

It was of course carried out by a CAA Flight Ops Inspector who is mainly normaly involved with Helicopters and the same Flight Ops Inspector who orginally tested him for his Intial COMM and IF.

Is this a co-incidence ce????

Interesting is it not ,
Stange happen at the SA CAA

B Sousa
28th Jul 2005, 03:32
As I mentioned in a previous post, I thought maybe Missouri was employed or had been at SACAA.Sounds more as though he IS employed and is on the way out to make room for more Lawn mower repairmen.
Either way Mr Prez will soon find Foreign Workers to replace all based on a posting in the paper the other day.

I would like to jump in on an item that is based on his comment "It was of course carried out by a CAA Flight Ops Inspector who is mainly normaly involved with Helicopters and the same Flight Ops Inspector who orginally tested him for his Intial COMM and IF.

Is this a co-incidence ce????"

I happen to know that person and think that may be a bit unfair. I know that he primarily does the helicopter side but for others out there consider he has a few thousand fixed wing hours which is more than some of the Airline types currently flying in SA. Also that SACAA is not a large operation.
Do you have someone or a group of folks who may do better??
Its getting to the , If you have a problem, be part of the solution or you become another part of the problem.

Just a joke to leave this post with, hope it does not hit home to badly. Its something we were taught in our Army.
three things a pilot does not need.
1. Runway behind him
2. Sky above him
3. A Navigator

MISSOURI
1st Aug 2005, 19:21
To B SOUSA and all out there.

The buzz is that (in his defence ) it was possibly forced on this this Helo Guy to carry out the test.
Image what would have happened to him if he did not do the Test.

The big question Would the SA CAA have allowed in another outside DE say From SAA or BA/Comair that have the same very HIGH STANDARDS as the DE that failed him.

Me thinks not, as the result would have been inevitable, so I suppose the test had to be done in house.

Now here is another SA CAA Inspector that joined SAA couldn't make the grade after many hours of retraining then was asked to leave appealed was reinstated at the CCMA's insistance proceedural I think well what has happened after many more hours training he was failed again BUT THIS TIME by an AIR BUS INTRUCTOR how amazing!

What is now happening well his Lawyers have called for the tapes from the sim what next.

The gist of this is that this (sic "Very able ") pilot is rumoured to be re joining the SA CAA as a Flight Ops Inspector.
G*D HELP US if this happens.

Where all all the other pilots out there who can contribute to this forum if you dont Nothing will Change at the SA CAA.

Come on all you pilots and operators dont just be complacent like we have been for the past years typical South Africans who bemoan your fate but dont contribute.

Sir Cumference
26th Aug 2005, 13:39
Heard very recently that the FAA did pay a visit to the SACAA. They simply pointed out areas wher in their minds the CAA fall short and that they have recently down graded both the Ghana and Greek Caa's to level 2 or B or something. In essence, this means no US schedules to those countries and none of those country's aircraft to the USA. They also mentioned that they would be back shortly!

I understand that there is an extremely urgent move afoot to staff the CAA with capable individuals. That is ones with experience and pale males have an excellent chance of being employed.

The threat being that should nothing be done and the FAA are ignored, the only outfit shuttling spectators to the 2010 world cup in SA will be Starlight Cruises and the like!

boomarang
26th Aug 2005, 21:35
What would you expect when the current Acting-CEO (and not a very good actor at that) is rummoured to have lifted a CAA Aviation Security Policy document and submitted it as part of his MBA requirements.:suspect:

By the way, he did not write the policy document. A well-paid consultant was found to do that.:ooh:

Plagurism by any standard! And nogal a security policy document.

And apparently, this is not the only company document he has submitted as part of his MBA, which brings me to another point given that he only recently completed his requirements for matric?:confused:

B Sousa
27th Aug 2005, 06:07
Crisis at SACAA?? What Crisis.
Its obvious that there is nobody left in SA with the qualifications to Run the place.
Let me see if I understand.
The Acting-CEO is from Lesotho......
The Manager of Operations, Licensing etc. is from Botswana.
And the Manager of Airworthiness is from Zimbabwe.

Im betting theres a ton of Avaition Experience in that crowd........

boomarang
27th Aug 2005, 06:49
Ben
As you can see from my posts, I do not hold much for the direction the CAA is going but ...

Don't let your prejudice get in the way of slagging well qualified staff who incidently don't have much say over what is going on in the CAA.

The Head of Ops (from Botswana) is an ATPL 4-engined jet Captain - certainly qualified by my books

The Head of Airworthiness (from Zimbabwe) is a qualified and experienced AME and holds a MA in Aeronautical Science from France - more qualifications than the DCA ever had.

The Commissioner from Lesotho- not Acting CEO - (See my previous post on that clown) holds a CPL and Air Traffic qualifications from Embry Riddle - your part of town and has extensive experience in aviation regulation.

The question is whether these folk can ever be effective in the environment that exists in the CAA at present is highly questionable. There are ample cases where there decisions are over turned by some clown above!

B Sousa
27th Aug 2005, 19:28
Dont know who Ben is, but.....

"Don't let your prejudice" If thats for me, you jumped the gun. Let a paleface from some other country try and fill those positions, let alone get a job in SA. And Prejudice is where??
Come on, your telling me SACAA cannot cut the muster and find a South African citizen to do the job......
I give two hoots what the persons race is, Im just saying it seems somewhat funny that someone will go to the ends of the earth to fill the positions when there is little doubt some folks here have more than ample qualifications.

And you know what they call a Boomarang that wont come back?? Just another Fxxxing stick.......

zssp
27th Aug 2005, 20:52
i heard a story the other day wich was really scary....

My buddie told me that our new 4 crash investigators went to de place of da crash in secunda but dey culd not tell but y the plane did crash becus the cant find the black boxes as of yet ....

But frm what ive heard it was an aerostar wich crashed. Correct me if im wrong but do aerostars even have black boxes, so rember next time you go train make sure your c172 black box is running. (just to help the crash investigators a little)

dnt crash investgator have 2 knw someitng abt aeroplanes to make a proper report of what actuly happend?

B Sousa
28th Aug 2005, 05:14
ZSSP
............I rest my case.

birdlady
28th Aug 2005, 10:47
Could this have anything to do with the recent spate of crashes......... hmmm I wonder :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Beta Light
28th Aug 2005, 11:03
three things a pilot does not need.
1. Runway behind him
2. Sky above him
3. A Navigator

Was it not 4?

Flight attendent with a chipped tooth

boomarang
28th Aug 2005, 23:35
Hey Bert

My response to your comment about "what load of aviation experience among that lot" seems to have touched a raw nerve.

My point... they ones you cited DO HAVE a lot of aviation experience! Just your prejudice prevents you from acknowledging that.

As for what the management of the the CAA has been getting up to .. I am certainly no apologetic for that crap.

Wev'e got enough problems dealing with the idiots in charge here without you prejudice clouding the water further.

Now fly off to Bagdad and do something useful:ok:

Hey Bert

A Fxxxng stick with a sharp point is an assagi

B Sousa
29th Aug 2005, 02:16
"they ones you cited DO HAVE a lot of aviation experience! Just your prejudice prevents you from acknowledging that."

OK, say you as to the Experience. Say others that "It aint that great, minimal at best" in comparison to some available to do the job........Whatever.
You keep harping on prejudice, and I think I already mentioned this particluar lot had to do with not being folks from SA.
Maybe you do not agree and believe that there may not be any qualified folks in SA, or is it they may be qualified but not politically correct in these times.

" whats the diff... you yanks are all the same"
As to Bagdhad, be careful up there, never know when a Scorpion may find you. Sounds as if there may not be any love lost but you dont mind taking the dollar bill, has to say something about your thoughts.
Funny thing is many Pilots from SA are out of the country to work, that must say something for Aviation here.
As are Doctors, Nurses etc.....Must be the Prejudice... Thats another whole thread.

I like the Assagi answer, good one.

boomarang
29th Aug 2005, 14:20
Bert

Seems like you know how to take some with the proverbial pinch of salt, particularly when someone delibertely tries to spice up a thread worn issue.

Never ever claimed there were no experienced personnel locally. Just harped on you slagging off on the other Africans employed. In fact the CAA has lost a whole lot of South Africans who should rightfully have been with it today and there are a lot more out there who should be roped in ( and some who should be kicked to touch).

Not sure what your " Sounds as if there may not be any love lost but you dont mind taking the dollar bill, has to say something about your thoughts." is all about. Maybe the thought of Bagdad got your wires a bit crossed. As for Scorpions, bring them on ... as long as they are still around.

Yes there are "many Pilots from SA ... out of the country to work" which by my book says we produce good aviators who can find work globally and that our aviation industry is too small to absorb them all.

Yeah sticks and stones will hurt your bone but ....
;)

Wideglide - where did you take off from.:confused:

What the hell has Mad Bob got to do with this thread.

Go of into your corner and start your own thread with your preoccupations. Must be smoking your socks again :*

ruffusruffcut001
29th Aug 2005, 17:23
Come on boys,
let,s stop the verbal abuse.
Why not carry on discussing what we can do in the industry to make a diferrence?
It,s no use sitting back and winging. Those of you that can , attend the AMOSA meetings and vent your feelings, because if you dont nobody will never know.

B Sousa
29th Aug 2005, 17:31
Thought YOU may have been headed to Baghdaddy, a re-read makes me think Im on the way there.
Mama didnt raise no fool, Uncle Sugar had his chance to get me killed...............no second chances..

Anyway back to jumping up and down about SACAA...........

Knoppiesdoorn
29th Aug 2005, 17:33
Calm down guys! Lets face it we do have a problem and I gather there are some steps being taken to sort out the mess.

Remember the old DCA was not without fault either. Remember the "Helderberg"? I was told on good authority that the accident report was held up as an example how "not to write an accident report" by other authorities during an accident investigation course.

The previous guy in - charge of 121 to the best of my knowledge never held an ALTP either.

I also know the person heading operations, and she is very capable indeed.

What about poor Moer Laat who was also at CAA...... (See another thread)

The problem is political and it is right at the top and I just hope all this can be resolved for the country and for all of us.

As for sticks, a tooth pick can be very usefull!

TAVLA Northbound
30th Aug 2005, 01:56
Hallo chaps (and the odd chapette)

CAA, ATNS, SAA etc etc are all in the same boat ... Maintain political correctness at any and all costs!!! :mad: the standards and the norms. The only qualification and / or requirement for any of these organisations is "does the candidate have a pulse and was he / she previously disadvantaged?"

Ofcourse it is unfair to make such a broad statement as there are a fair amount of competent PDI's. But experience and performance and a good track record should be the source of our powers that be ... not the colour of your face!!!!!

In my humble opinion the aviation industry in SA is going to see its :mad:

The saddest thing is that confronting the issues is bound to bring out the "You're just a racist" remarks. :yuk:

Good luck to you all.

WideGlide
30th Aug 2005, 02:16
Ok Boomerang - you are right - I should not have wasted my time answering to your dribbel. But while I am here the matter of fact is that we should not have foreigners running a south african department

Quote:
'The question is whether these folk can ever be effective in the environment that exists in the CAA at present is highly questionable'

Facts are they should not be there in the first place. Prejudism as you mentioned has nothing to do with it.

- where is you pride man!

Back to my corner from whenced I crawled.

B Sousa
30th Aug 2005, 05:06
"But while I am here the matter of fact is that we should not have foreigners running a south african department "

To back that up a bit. I think there may be something in your Constitution. You know the one that is in place now, that says something about South Africans first.....But its only a piece of paper.

Knoppiesdoorn
30th Aug 2005, 06:41
I support the motion: South Africans first irrespective of race, colour or creed.

But I suppose I might as well talk to the moon!

newcrew
30th Aug 2005, 08:26
Remember when our univesties had faculties / degrees which were internationally recognised

zssp
30th Aug 2005, 18:02
and the days when u got chosen 4 ur abilties

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Aug 2005, 18:15
...Among them spelling, punctuation and the ability to compile a sentence that won't induce a headache in the reader.:rolleyes:

WideGlide
31st Aug 2005, 03:50
Remember old Oom Rennie - now I am not saying there was no corruption - more rife than some of us may care probably. But the facts are , he was South African, he held the place together with an iron fist for more than a decade (If my memory is good), and of equal importance he knew his SH!T.

Knoppiesdoorn
31st Aug 2005, 06:11
I know Rennie reads Pprune and I know he is not impressed about the state of affairs.

Even being at ICAO in Montreal there is nothing that he can do about it. Theres more to it than I think we will ever know.

Sad, very sad!!

Sir Cumference
31st Aug 2005, 07:20
The saddest thisng about the Affirmative Action and BEE initiatives is that individuals who have the capability are sidelined and in most cases retrenched. When the innevitable happens and the whole thing turns to a bucket of sh**, then the new SA calls for consultants from overseas at huge expense, whilst the capable SA individual sits at home jobless!

It stinks!!

james ozzie
31st Aug 2005, 10:47
While we are beating up on SACAA: I just came across the "Full Report" of the HS748 accident at George - accorded "full report" status we presume because of the celebrity passenger(?) Since they clearly attach much importance to this report, would it not have been possible to proof read it before publishing? The few bits I have been able to download have appalling English grammar - if they cannot string a sentence together, what else can they not do? It creates a very poor impression.

MISSOURI
10th Sep 2005, 17:19
All of you out there seem to be missing the Point forget about Racial Predujuce just look at the Facts,

The Acting CEO is an Ex Traffic Chief who hailed from Kempton Park and was levitated to the Position of Chief of Police Ekurhleni and who left the this Metropolitan Muncipality with 24 hours notice when a enquiry into his activities was about to be started.

The 2 IC (the money man) Financial who has been heard to State in Publicly in the hallowed halls at the SA CAA,
Flight Operations inspectors do NOT HAVE TO HAVE any expericence to carry out the job they only have to read the manual, as welL Has stated that the SA CAA will not employ any white males.

Says it all does it not.

Well at a recent SA CAA Forum held in the ATC auditorium for Operators in SA the following was said and this can be verfied by all that were there, as all were dumbstruck by the Statement made by the Head of Safety and Operations the same 4 engine Jet Captain.

this needs to be in capitals.

FOR THE PAST 3 YEARS THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE SOUTH AFRICAN CIVIL AVIATION AUTHORITY HAVE BEEN DISFUNCTIONAL!!!!

FOR THE PAST 3 YEARS THE ACTING CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER HAS BEEN DISFUNCTIONAL !!!!!!!!!

Her words not mine.

I am surprised that she still has her post at SA CAA .
It is said in the halls at the CAA that she is now attempting to employ experciened personal to redress the Crisis but as usual it all stops at the door of the Acting CEO and his 2 IC the fincial chappy.

To all of you out there your support is needed to address these issuses.

ruffusruffcut001
4th Oct 2005, 16:21
moving this so that some other aviation magazine can latch on to it