PDA

View Full Version : Pomp, Pageantry, and a Prat of a Prince?

tablet_eraser
12th Jun 2005, 09:07
Trooping the Colour - yet again, a demonstration of how Britain can lay on its displays of pomp and circumstance like no other nation on earth. And, of course, a welcome poke in the eye for republicans who claim the Armed Forces don't care about the Monarchy, that the country no longer cares for parades, and that the Queen doesn't pull in tourists. All looked pretty popular to me!

However, even as an ardent royalist, I accept that there is one particular element of the Royal Family that could be dropped without too many wailing protests. Look very closely at Prince Edward.... notice anything out of place?

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/interactive/world/0506/gallery.queen.birthday/04.queen.ap.jpg

Why is he wearing a Royal Marines tie? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am sure one should only wear a regimental/Service tie on successful completion of one's training. If this isn't the case, I'd say it's still a poor show. As Royal Honourary Colonel of the Royal Wessex Yeomanry, and Colonel-in-Chief of the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment, why doesn't he pick one of their ties, instead of one to which he is not fully entitled?

Grr.... these things matter!

diginagain
12th Jun 2005, 09:54
IMHO, it's a fine choice, but only if he uses it to suspend himself from a suitable light-fitting.

Only kidding.

SASless
12th Jun 2005, 11:32
Envy is a word that springs to mind!

Letsby Avenue
12th Jun 2005, 15:11
Ah the great royal debate - Do we hang em or shoot em?;)

tablet_eraser
12th Jun 2005, 16:20
Well, if you want to consign the Head of State's legal and political independence to the rubbish bin of history, reject the overwhelming desire of the majority of HM's subjects to keep the Monarchy, and leave the constitutional safeguards governing Parliament at the hands of the Leader of the House (BUFF!!! NOOOOO!!!) or the Lord Chancellor (for as long as the position remains, appointed as he is by the PM), hanging would probably do the trick.

If, on the other hand, you want to turn Britain into a bland republic, squander billions of pounds on changing laws, title deeds, diplomatic missions, documents, livery, courts, the constituion, warrants and (to be rid of them altogether) that old-fashioned "Kingdom" reference in our national name, all in order to save the public a mere 67p per head per year, maybe shooting is a better option?

I'd rather still be seeing sights like this:

http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/world/0506/gallery.queen.birthday/03.queen.new.ap.jpg

.... and not swearing my allegiance to a political executive, personally.

brit bus driver
12th Jun 2005, 18:51
Hear, hear! Was in London on Wednesday, and the Household Cavalry were in Hyde Park practising for Saturday's event, regaled in full military splendour - shiny hats, shiny boots etc. The public, albeit a mere handful, loved it especially our colonial cousins. Makes one proud - for a change - to be British.

vecvechookattack
12th Jun 2005, 18:54
Mind you, if we got rid of the lot of them we wouldn't have to waste thousands of pounds marching up and down the Mall once a year.

Vive La Republic.

An Teallach
12th Jun 2005, 19:01
Tablet, the sad flaw in the system that you admire is that it would only take 5 deaths for your "Prat of a Prince" to become Head of State. :ugh:

WorkingHard
12th Jun 2005, 19:19
tablet_eraser - No matter to whom you swear allegiance the fact is you do as parliament wills it. I do not want a republic in England BUT I should very much like to see the curbing of all the hangers on and get rid of a few of the more embarrassing prats, be they from the House of Windsor or elsewhere. Can we start by stopping the wearing of medals to which they have an entitlement just because mummy says so? Prince Charles comes to mind on that issue. What is Cammila going to be decorated with? (yes we all have our views as to what she should be given).

freeride
12th Jun 2005, 20:57
Yep, great country, fourth or fifth largest economy in the world and my son has to wait four years to get dental treatment but at least we have blokes in shiny boots and pointy hats!

Stupid Boy
12th Jun 2005, 21:19
Tablet, whether the Armed Forces care about the Monarchy or not is irrelevant, we go on parade when we are told to do so. Our prescence there is neither an endorsement for, or a protest against them. It is our job!

tablet_eraser
12th Jun 2005, 21:48
Right... (clears throat, rolls up sleeves)...

AT: 5th in line to the Throne? The Order of Succession is: Prince Charles, Prince William, Prince Harry, Prince Andrew, Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie, Prince Edward, putting our inept Royal Highness at 7th in line. Thank God! Don't think he'll sneak in by the back-door yet (though apparently he is not unfamiliar with the back-door... :bored: )

WH: We swear allegiance to the Queen, and our system of Government is such that Parliament speaks in HM's name. The Queen In Parliament principle. No one party holds a veto over the deployment of British forces. My point was that unlike nations who swear allegiance to a presidency, we do not owe our allegaince to a political executive.

SB: Fair point. But I still disagree with the republican argument that the Armed Forces have no regard for the system we swear allegiance to. I think most of us - certainly most of my colleagues - hold the Queen in high respect. Maybe I picked the wrong republican argument to pick on!

As for reducing the size of the members of the Royal Family on the Civil List... not an entirely unfeasable idea. I think it should be based on the extent and importance of their public duties. HM, Prince Philip, Princess Anne and Prince Charles certainly do a hell of a lot of official work. Prince Andrew is Britain's International Business Ambassador, or something like that, maybe if we pointed out that golf (yes, even Captaincy of the Royal and Ancient) does not constitute official duties...? As for Prince Edward... :yuk:

brakedwell
12th Jun 2005, 21:48
These events look very impressive, with the royal offspring resplendent in fancy dress, their breasts emblazoned with mummy's toy town medals!

Onan the Clumsy
13th Jun 2005, 02:41
My God! Think about it man. If we got rid of the Royal Family...we'd be just like the Americans! :eek:

SASless
13th Jun 2005, 03:10
Tablet....

Small point of order here....in the US Military, we swear to support and defend the Constitution and that we will bear true faith and allegiance to it.....we also swear to obey the orders of the President and the officers appointed over us. Within the Constitution, the President is designated the Commander-in-Chief of the military. The office is filled by an elected natural born citizen....which by definition would be a politician. The powers of the government comes from the people as set forth by the Constitution.....the Constitution limits the power of the government not the people. It used to required for the Congress to authorize war but over time those powers have been delegated to the President with limitations by the War Powers Act. Congress cannot veto the President's use of military force but has the power to cut off funding for it....ala Vietnam years ago.

Maisiebabe
13th Jun 2005, 08:51
Gettng back to the original post....
Personally I couldn't give a stuff what ties they wear. They are all appointed Col -in Chief of something and everyone knows that it bears no relevance to their individual capability.

Having said that I'm quite happy to keep them and have no wish to become a republic. There is no way some ****** like Tony Blair or, God forbid, Fatty Two Jags could ever fill the public role that the Royal Family fulfils because people, both ours and the tourists, want to see royalty and all that entails.

When it comes to saving money, we could save far more by sorting out all the swindling scum bags taking advantage of the welfare state while they hang around on street corners beating up pensioners. And if you take everything away from the Royal Family, exactly where do you think that wealth will end up? Back to the political wankers again.

As to who we swear alliegance to; I wouldn't waste my time or my life in saving any politician but I will put my life on the line for my country because it's unique and it's mine. :D

Blacksheep
13th Jun 2005, 13:09
Why is he wearing a Royal Marines tie? Really? I thought it was a Royal Nepal Airlines tie, but of course he's not entitled to wear one of those, either...

Onan the Clumsy
13th Jun 2005, 14:34
SASless I was under the impression that Vietnam was never declared as a war, but remained an "armed conflict".

A subtle distinction perhaps, but one with some important consequences. Out of interest, do you know if this is true, or if I am mistaken.

ORAC
13th Jun 2005, 14:46
The last time Congress declared war was in 1941, even Korea was a "police action". But the line is a lot more blurred than that. See here (http://www.henrymarkholzer.com/articles_truman_loss_bush_gain.shtml).

FEBA
13th Jun 2005, 14:57
All of you take 10 out of 10 for failing to answer the original objection/point and waffle on about something else completely.

Tablet
Your absoluteley right. He's not entitled to wear the tie and after being drummed out of Lympston, not sure why he would want remember his experiences by wearing one?
On the subject of wearing dress to which you're not entitled; I don't remember Charles doing P company, so he can stop wearing a red beret.
Thank you. Good parade though and nice of the Airforce to put their entire fleet into the sky to mark the occaision
:E

timex
13th Jun 2005, 15:56
Its not a Royal Marine tie.

SASless
13th Jun 2005, 16:54
Onan,

Vietnam was not a declared war....but I can assure you with 58,000+ dead....it sure seemed like one to us that were there. When soldiers are dying....does it matter to the individual squaddie what the bosses are calling it?

Scud-U-Like
13th Jun 2005, 18:01
Well, I always thought Edward was a little b*****d:

http://www.throneout.com/images/royal_affairs.pdf

Load of tosh, but very entertaining.

tablet_eraser
13th Jun 2005, 21:27
Timex, your post has contributed nothing to this thread. If it isn't a RM tie (I'm sure it is), then what is it?

goffered again
13th Jun 2005, 21:46
Green for the grass he never walked on,
Red for the blood he never shed,
Blue for the sea he never sailed on,
Yellow for the streak a mile wide up his back.

Sure looks RM to me, by the way, what instrument did he play?

Onan the Clumsy
13th Jun 2005, 21:54
Look here (http://www.goldings.co.uk/online_shop/product_detail.php?product_code=RM01) and you will find this:

http://www.goldings.co.uk/online_shop/images/ties/rm01.jpg

:8

===

Have to say he gets a pass though. Look carefully and you'll see he has the red above the yellow with equal width stripes, ...and he might even have a dark green background.

(he's also wearing one of thosed deuced blue shirts with the white collar :yuk: )

===

Good God! is nothing sacred? American Universities? (https://hansensclothing.com/college_university_colors_ties.asp?) :*

SPIT
14th Jun 2005, 00:07
Talking about Royalty, asI understand it the so called National Anthem is to ONE PERSON, NOT ONE NATION????:confused: :ooh:

SASless
14th Jun 2005, 00:14
I will stick to my Confederate Cotton Brokers Tie thank you very much. Quite the rage in London around 1861-1865 but then went out of vogue for some reason.

PLovett
14th Jun 2005, 04:53
Tablet

At the risk of being accused of taking this off thread again can you please tell me who would succeed if Prince Charles was to pre-decease HRH.

Would the line of succession pass to Prince Andrew and his heirs and assigns?

The query is prompted after seeing some silly twit on TV calling for him to stand down in favour of Prince William. The thought arose that if he did Prince Andrew would get the ermine etc.

ORAC
14th Jun 2005, 05:58
Line of Succession (http://www.etoile.co.uk/Rsucc.html)

Monty77
14th Jun 2005, 06:36
Just to get back off-topic, I've always tested those of a republican bent with the words 'President Thatcher'.

If they shout, "Hurrah!", I respond with the words 'President Kinnock'.

They can't have it both ways.

timex
14th Jun 2005, 08:05
Timex, your post has contributed nothing to this thread. If it isn't a RM tie (I'm sure it is), then what is it?

TE, actually one of the reason's this post was started was based on the fact He was wearing an RM Tie...........he isn't. As to what tie it is, couldn't care less as long as he doesn't wear mine!

Probably if you'd read Onan's thread you would have seen this explaned already...........

Chalkstripe
14th Jun 2005, 08:23
errr - if the first 10 in line should snuff it (God forbid) then Zara Phillips would be the next in line. Not too bad - a bit of a looker on the throne (with a stud in her tongue) and knocking around with a Rugby World Cup winner :ok:

Sorry drifted off topic again

Scud-U-Like
14th Jun 2005, 11:26
Interesting Royal fact: If Edward VIII had not abdicated, but everything else had remained the same, The Duke of Gloucester (currently running 18th in the line of succession) would now be King. Such is the fickle hand of fate.

I don't suppose it matters much. Do we really care what kind of person our Monarch is, provided they remain dignified and impartial? In which case, The Duke of Gloucester would have fitted the bill perfectly well.

tablet_eraser
14th Jun 2005, 12:15
Okay, timex, let's look at your first post again:
Its [sic] not a Royal Marine [sic] tie.
You're right, the thread was started because I thought HRH was wearing a RM tie (remember? I started the thread!). Your post contributed nothing because you didn't propose an alternative or support your argument. Anyone can claim someone else is wrong, but without submitting evidence to support this they make a very poor argument.
And:
Probably if you'd read Onan's thread you would have seen this explaned already...........
Yes indeed, maybe if you'd care to read his post again you'll notice he posted AFTER me. I am not telepathic, so whether he has explained it or not this does not affect the veracity of my recent post pointing out how little you've contributed.

So don't try being sarcastic to me unless you can back up your arguments.

timex
14th Jun 2005, 13:03

Probably misread the tone of that , sorry if I offended you, my point was simple it is not a Royal Marine tie. I really didn't think I needed to explain why.

Onan the Clumsy
14th Jun 2005, 13:39
Actually I have to retract my earlier posting. I've realised that the picture I posted wasn't in fact a Royal Marine tie. You can tell that if you look closely...because there are no food stains on it :E

Monty77
14th Jun 2005, 14:22
Valid. And if you look even closer, you'll see that that it's not a clip-on, and therefore not RM.

Circuit Basher
14th Jun 2005, 14:27
Also, he hasn't dribbled on it!! ;)

Darth Nigel
14th Jun 2005, 14:35
Chalkstripe
then Zara Phillips would be the next in line.

Reminds one of the closing song from Blackadder Back and Forth...
"At last a king who is a king,
at last a Queen who looks good naked..."

vecvechookattack
14th Jun 2005, 14:54
Is there an entitlement to wear a tie? Ihave a Rolls-Royce tie but don't own a RR ...can I wear that? I also own an MCC tie. Can I wear that? Surely you can wear any tie you want.

airborne_artist
14th Jun 2005, 15:08
vecve

You can wear (and buy) any tie you want, but you'd be a very, very sad t*sser if you wore a tie requiring a membership etc. that you had not earned.

Onan the Clumsy
14th Jun 2005, 16:01
Actually, I thought they didn't have ties in the Royal Marines. I thought they took them off you the day you joined...along with your belt and shoelaces :E

FEBA
14th Jun 2005, 17:53
http://whatdidyoubringme.homestead.com/files/neckties/InvertNeckties/NewTop/Crabs.jpg

J.A.F.O.
14th Jun 2005, 19:30
And I thought that you were going to point out that the salute he is giving would look right with the uniform worn by Harry for nights out.

See original picture.

Fortyodd
14th Jun 2005, 21:10
Tablet, the sad flaw in the system that you admire is that it would only take 5 deaths for your "Prat of a Prince" to become Head of State.

It's worse than that - we're only one bullet away from Prescott being PM!!!:\

Letsby Avenue
14th Jun 2005, 21:31
Which makes you wonder what exactly we are defending....:rolleyes:

ORAC
15th Jun 2005, 04:42
It's worse than that - we're only one bullet away from Prescott being PM!!! Thankfully neither the labour party or the House of Commons works like that.

Pity though, I'd like to see what Two Jags would do to Chirac if he got lippy with him...... :}

vecvechookattack
15th Jun 2005, 07:04
However, if Prince Charles were to forego his turn as the next monarch then the line of succession would fall to HRH the Duke of Pork. Princes Wills and "H" are only in the line coz their dad is next. If their dad bangs out of the line then so do they.

Axel-Flo
15th Jun 2005, 08:07
The entitlement to wear an earned item of uniform or clothing has to have some substance to it otherwise any bluntie, 'guin or "hat" could ponce around in anything in an effort to become someone who has achieved, by thier own efforts, a prize. Respect isn't an entitlement it's earned....surely? I remember being at CTCRM a long time ago and seeing a T-shirt in the gym saying "You can turn a frog into a Prince, BUT you can't turn a Prince into a Marine"

In that respect didn't new Sandhurst chaps tend to join the Regiment of thier father? With the Royals covering so many different ones that must be a tough choice even if they do get free badges and medals for minimalist achievment/qualification at times to make them look smarter.

Overheard a comment in the mess the other morning to the effect that Sandhurst instructors have to stop using the Title[/B] Officer Cadet Hewitt for one of the latest entrants too...:E

tablet_eraser
15th Jun 2005, 10:39
vecvechookattack - not strictly true. If Prince Charles were to exclude himself from the Succession - for example, by converting to Catholicism or marrying a Catholic, or by declaring his opposition to claiming the Throne - then he would also exclude his sons.

If, on the other hand, he was excluded by death, dementia, or some such problem, the line of Succession would pass to his sons. He would only exclude his bloodline by wilfully invalidating his own claim to the Throne.

bigsmelly
15th Jun 2005, 10:58
Didnt' Bonnie Prince Charlie get his green beret? As well as his fast-jet and heli wings?

airborne_artist
10th Jul 2005, 19:28
What get-up is PoP wearing this time?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/05/uk_wwii_commemorations/img/5.jpg

Jimlad
10th Jul 2005, 19:34
"What get-up is PoP wearing this time?"

Not sure, but looks like something the bell boy wears at the Savoy?

cobaltfrog
10th Jul 2005, 20:29
The tie is he was wearing is that of Colonel in Chief of the Wessex Yeomanry. The uniform is the smarter version of the same.

WorkingHard
10th Jul 2005, 20:30
And what medal was Harry wearing on the balcony today? Do you get medals for exam passes/failures these days?

cobaltfrog
10th Jul 2005, 20:38
He was wearing the Queen's Jubilee Medal (2002)

WorkingHard
11th Jul 2005, 05:13
So how did he "earn" his Jubilee medal? I wonder what others who received it think about it's value now.

Maple 01
11th Jul 2005, 05:54
More to the point, how about those that didn't get one because they had 'only' done 4 years while the rules were waved for Harry feel?

Postman Plod
11th Jul 2005, 10:26
Personally I dont give a stuff, being one of those 4-year bods. Its only a bit of tin after all. I have to guess hes "entitled" to it because hes effectively been in service of some sort since birth....

Pontius Navigator
11th Jul 2005, 17:49
And those who had done more than 40 years and didn't merit one.

jindabyne
11th Jul 2005, 19:40
C'mon chaps - wouldn't you want grandma to let you have one. I would.

BEagle
11th Jul 2005, 19:44
Grandma 'giving you one'? Doesn't bear thinking about....

Personally I think that those of us who'd been in the Service for both Silver and Gold Jellybeans should have been awarded an additional clasp for 25 years' service.

cazatou
11th Jul 2005, 19:48
Vecvec,

May I take it that when you swore (as a solemn oath) allegience to HM the QUEEN, @ her Heirs & Successors; YOU LIED ON OATH?!!!

buoy15
12th Jul 2005, 01:38
Looking closely at thread 1

Why is the dog opposite wearing the headress of the the "1772 Pikers and Lancers" when she is not entitled?

Gainesy
12th Jul 2005, 05:34
Its all rather Thespian isn't it?

Wonder if they consult to avoid clashes before going to fish out their kit from the Dressing Up Box?

"Mama, may one be Colonel in Chief of the Queen's Own Herbaceous Borderers today?"

FJJP
12th Jul 2005, 05:54
Didn't get the silver - didn't win the lottery.

Didn't get the gold - left 10 days too early.

Ce la vie...

brakedwell
12th Jul 2005, 06:50
Come on chaps, show a little tolerance!
If the royal siblings feel the need to wear fancy dress covered in mummy's toy town medals let them have their fun. I presume Anne is still in Singapore, living on Satay and Tiger while awaiting the completion of her Admiral of the Fleet uniform!

Pontius Navigator
12th Jul 2005, 07:06
On entitlement to wear ties etc,

I always felt uncomfortable flogging squadron patches etc to Joe Public at air shows. I underwent a 3 years of training and then a period as non-Op before I earnt my sqn badge - the first badge after my brevet to go on my flying suit.

Now the abos design their own patches and wear them on the flying suits from day one. While I applaud their desire to emulate the grown ups and the grown ups smile indulgently, I feel that it possibly devalues the sqn badge when they qualify.

Even had sqn bosses telling me to badge up as I was not conforming. Looked a bit sheepish when I said I would when I earned it.

The other slippery slope was the adoption of the American comedy patches. Remember ours were approved by the Monarch!

Do sqns still have ties?

vecvechookattack
12th Jul 2005, 07:21
May I take it that when you swore (as a solemn oath) allegience to HM the QUEEN, @ her Heirs & Successors; YOU LIED ON OATH?!!! .....

I have never sworn an Oath to allegience to HM the Queen. Why would I want to do that?

BEagle
12th Jul 2005, 07:23
Proper squadrons still have ties!

At least in Eating Command we had 'squadron standard' uniform flying suits which weren't covered in Top Gun, Red Flag supporters club, TLP participant, 1000 missions over North Yorkshire, "I once saw a Tomcat" or other silly Christmas tree badges.

The Real Slim Shady
13th Jul 2005, 01:22
No matter to whom you swear allegiance the fact is you do as parliament wills it. I do not want a republic in England

Sorry to leap in so late with a point of semantics/ pedantry, however ENGLAND seems a tad jingoistic !!

vecvechookattack
13th Jul 2005, 11:03
More to the point, how about those that didn't get one because they had 'only' done 4 years while the rules were waved for Harry feel? ....

what has 4 years got to do with it..???? If you were serving in the military at the time of the Golden Jubilee you are entitled to wear a GJ Medal....regardless of whether you have served for four years or four weeks.

The Rocket
13th Jul 2005, 11:14
Don't know about entitlement to wear one, however, to be issued one, which is what this discussion is about, there is a definate qualification criteria

QUOTE:

The Golden Jubilee 2002 medal will be issued to the following personnel:

All personnel who are in paid effective military service with the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Army and Royal Air Force on 6 February 2002, who have completed 5 calendar years service and were enlisted on or before 7 February 1997.
All personnel who are in effective military service with the Volunteer Reserve Forces on 6 February 2002, completed five annual bounty earning training years and were enlisted on or before 7 February 1997. One of the bounty years must have been the year 2001-2002.
A member of the Regular Reserves who is in military service on 6 February 2002 become eligible if their aggregated Regular and Voluntary service amounts to the 5 year qualification period.
Any member of the Military Provost Guard Service whose MPGS paid service equates to the 5 year qualifying period.
Contracted Royal Fleet Auxiliary personnel in service on 6 February 2002 who have completed the 5 years qualifying period.
Cadet Officers and Cadet Adult Instructors with a total of 5 training years service, providing the service period includes 6 February 2002 and they are part of an established post. The person must have started on or before 7 February 1997 and the year 2001-2002 must be part of the service period.
A member of the 'front line' emergency services, accessed via the telephone number 999, who have completed a minimum of 5 years reckonable service on 6 February 2002. The emergency services include the Police, Fire and Ambulance Services, the Coastguard, Royal National Lifeboat Institution and Mountain Rescue services.

vecvechookattack
13th Jul 2005, 11:17
The Golden Jubilee 2002 medal will be issued to the following personnel: ....
the key word here is ISSUED. If you were serving during those periods you got a free one. However, if you were not serving during those periods BUT were serving during the period 2001/2002...then you are entitled to wear one BUT you have to buy it yourself.....

BR81 refers

The Rocket
13th Jul 2005, 11:26
As I said, I am unsure of entitlement to wear one, but the point of this argument is that there are many people out there who have missed out on receiving a medal, despite putting in many years of service. Some by retiring early, some by joining just too late.

I have no personal axe to grind with this, I can just see both sides of the argument.

vecvechookattack
13th Jul 2005, 14:16
What a load of george that argument is......

despite putting in many years of service. Some by retiring early, some by joining just too late.

Sadly Im the same. I joined too late to receive a WW1 campaign medal and sadly I will retire before GW3. So why cant I have a medal.

The fact of the matter is that The Earl of Wessex as a serving member of HM Military is entitled to wear a Medal. Same as Harry does

brakedwell
13th Jul 2005, 14:39
Enlighten me vecvechookattack. Exactly what branch of the services does Eddie the Earl of Wessex serve in, or is this info too hush hush for us to know?

Biggus
13th Jul 2005, 15:50
Vec.......

And Harry? Ah yes, I was forgetting he was in the CCF at Eton!!!

But then again he has been in the Army now for about 2 weeks!!!

vecvechookattack
13th Jul 2005, 16:19
The Earl of Wessex is a colonel of the Wessex Yeomanry.

Yep, Harry has been in the Army for two weeks....but many many Years ago I had been in the Navy for 2 weeks as well....

Pontius Navigator
13th Jul 2005, 16:58
vecvechookattack

Very interesting. Can you post a clip from the BR?

As far as Harry goes, the key was PAID service. Not all Reservists qualified. If you were Volunteer Reserve you were paid by the military and qualified. If you were in FTRS you qualified BUT if you were paid by the civil service, despite being gazetted in the Reserves you DID NOT.

I have a letter from Dr Loonie to prove it.

An Teallach
13th Jul 2005, 17:43
Maybe I am just being devilish, but I am quite surprised that such a meaningless bauble that came with the cornflakes has generated quite such excitement!:\

Wibble, indeed.

Pontius Navigator
13th Jul 2005, 19:33
The 'excitement' is just a manifestation of the law of unintended consequences and an example of our caring sharing government. Initially the medal was not going to go to the emergency services. The brouhha then got them the medal.

Some kicked up less fuss and did not get it.

The Rocket
13th Jul 2005, 21:47
Vecvecblahblah,

The point I was making was that technically, after 30 years service you could retire the day prior to the cut off point and miss out on the christmas tree medal, just as you could have been in the RAF/Navy/Army for four years and 364 days when the medals were issued, but still not be entitled to one.

Yes I know as well as anyone else that there needs to be a definate line in the sand, however, would it really have cost all that much to have struck up a few thousand more medals for EVERYBODY serving at the time of the jubilee? Would that really have been more of a waste of money than AP3003 The History Of The Royal Air Force? or those completely pointless rusksacks?

As regards Harry's entitlement to wear one, surely there is something amiss there?

Pontius Navigator
14th Jul 2005, 07:22
Arrse has the truth of the matter.

The 5 year rule was a Government one for dishing out the candy. The Monarch had a few in her personal gift to hand out to children and grandchildren. Whether he second son got one for long service or from Mummy I don't know. Certainly the others would have come with the cornflakes from Fortnum's.

brakedwell
14th Jul 2005, 09:43
vecvechookattack
I see mummy made darling Edward KCVO a Royal Honorary Colonel on the first of July 2003, unpaid I hope. As this is under five years ago his medal must have come from her personal store of freebies. I wonder why she didn't make him a colonel in the Royal Marines at the same time. This would have done away with the need to pass that awful macho course and would have allowed him to wear a smart solar topee to hide his bald patch.

vecvechookattack
14th Jul 2005, 11:04
his medal must have come from her personal store of freebies

That would be the same personal store of freebies that your medal came from as well.

brakedwell
14th Jul 2005, 12:17
I left the RAF in 1974, at a time when medals were not issued frivolously.

TBSG
14th Jul 2005, 20:06
I think you'll find that, under the rules of the issue, all members of the Royal Family are entitled to the QGJM, regardless of any military qualifying period. Hence Harry sporting his at Sandbags. Therefore any royal with a Hon Col etc appointment is also entitled to wear it. Not really one to lose sleep over, is it?

Hanse Cronje
14th Jul 2005, 20:17
If one is annoyed that you do not have the rediculous Golden Jubilee Medal you can have mine.....I don't wear it as it looks ludicrous next to the others. As for Harry, a London based regiment that do not go away too often so he can get leathered in the capital? Why am i not surprised.....

vecvechookattack
14th Jul 2005, 20:20
thank goodness for TBSG....some sense at last and a good post from our South African friend.....

who blommin cares if the royals get to wear medals....The QGJM is a wortless piece of junk anyway...