PDA

View Full Version : Flying with Emirates

Argus
12th Jun 2005, 05:43
Thinking of flying Emirates business class from Oz to the UK and return later this year.

Any views on quality of food, in flight service etc?

BOFH
12th Jun 2005, 09:05
Some of my high-time friends switched (or rather, were switched by their company) from QF last year.

They are full of praise for Emirates. I gather the extra dogleg through Dubai only adds a couple of hours to the flight, a bonus if you detest the BKK-LHR stretch.

If it is not a rude question, how much are they asking?

BOFH

Argus
12th Jun 2005, 09:59
BOFH

Check your PMs

zed3
13th Jun 2005, 12:13
We have used Emirates to Johannesburg a couple of times , in Business Class , for holidays and was impressed . We are planning Australia for next year , also Emirates but with a break in Singapore outbound and Dubai on the return . From what I can remember the fare was around e3,600 each return , last time I looked ( around Lstg 2400 ).

BOFH
13th Jun 2005, 19:26
Thanks for the PM, Argus, and I think you are right on the money, zed3.

The reason I posed the question was that I noticed that J fares FRA-SYD-FRA would go for about 5500DEM (those were the days) - when the equivalent flight SYD-FRA-SYD were 7500DEM. This was three years ago.

One friend was bumped to F from J and still proudly owns the suit bag they gave him to stow his jacket. Class.

BOFH

Flip Flop Flyer
14th Jun 2005, 13:48
Only ever flown on Mrats once, from DXB to FRA on an A330-200. Was less than impressed by the 2-3-2 seating arrangment in C, but a rather empty flight meant I had the 3 middle seats to myself. Service, on the other hand, was impeccable. IFE up to speed too, and the food was excellent. Seats are not flatbeds, but recline and pitch is on par with the best non-flatbed C-class cabins out there.

Would recommend it, but would prefer an airline which offers a flatbed product if available at roughly the same price (or at any price if the company is paying the ticket ;) )

CargoOne
14th Jun 2005, 15:44
The only problem with EK C-cabin is 2-3-2 layout on A330/340 (apart from new A340-500), so the seats are notably narrower that "normal" C-class of their competitors.

BOFH
14th Jun 2005, 17:56
FFF

According to my sources, and Argus's gen, BA do J for about 15% more. That'll get you a night or two in a good hotel and something nice to eat on the ground if you are paying your own way.

The alternative, though, would provide some nice OW points which could be handy in Oz.

I seem to recall ABI boasting that the 340s were 2-2-2 in J, but as CargoOne states, that's just the shiny new ones.

Please be sure to report back after your trip, Argus, we're all ears.

BOFH

CargoOne
14th Jun 2005, 20:41
Well, actually I\ve noticed that Oz service is A340-500 (EK406/407 via MEL) with a brand new good C-class, so basically you just need to avoid 330/340 service to UK, but there are plenty of 777 frequencies.

p.s. althought it is still not a flat bed seats

Argus
15th Jun 2005, 04:44
Thanks everybody. I'll provide feedback in due course.

On the Spot
15th Jun 2005, 11:27
The 330 service to the UK actually had more space around the seats in c class than the 777 service from Dubai onwards to Oz.

The wife had to climb over me to get out when the seat in front was reclined in the 777 - it was an old plane so hoepfull will be replaced. (The Audio system in teh seat fell apart as well and was not able to be fixed !)

Otherwise service was OK and far better than BA

OZcabincrew
18th Jun 2005, 17:42
Hi!!!!

Skytrax top airlines of the world in voted order of the travelling public.

Skytrax Airline of the Year is the established, global barometer of passenger opinions about airlines around the world. Free of outside or financial influences, it is the only airline survey that achieves a truly worldwide audience - comprising more than 94 different respondent nationalities in 2005.

This, the world's "largest" passenger survey, was conducted over an 11 month period (June 2004 - May 2005), and the final total of eligible survey nominations was 12,334,283.

In voted order they are:

1. Cathay Pacific

2. Qantas Airways

3. Emirates

4. Singapore Airlines

5. British Airways

6. Malaysia Airlines

7. Thai Airways