PDA

View Full Version : Cost: Type IV versus Type II

Sick Squid
22nd Dec 2000, 21:14
Folks,

Anyone got any idea of the relative costs of these de-icing fluids per litre? I seem to recall from a few years back that Type IV was almost double the cost of Type II.

My reason for asking is that on a real crap morning like I had a couple of days ago, with freezing fog, then I'll always take the best option; Type IV no matter what. But on a gin clear, cold morning with just some frost on the top and no hint of further precipitation, then Type IV might be overkill, and a two-step hot type II just as much use, and more cost effective. Wouldn't mind being able to tag some figures on to this conception.

Appreciate any heads up. Thanks.

------------------
Disappears in a cloud of black ink...

topman
22nd Dec 2000, 21:36
Be careful over the thought that type IV is better than Type II, it is most certainly less friendly to non powered flying controls,
particularly after repeated applications.

The CAA, JAA, BAe and ATR have recently issued messages on this subject.

Not sure about costs though.

Sick Squid
22nd Dec 2000, 22:19
Thanks Topman, I read a notice recently on that subject, particular reference to Type IV re-freezing if worked into a crevice following repeat applications, the elevator being the prime example. Sounds like what you are referring to.

I should have emphasised that I had one eye on the generally better holdover times with type IV, though some of the newer Type II seem to be just as good.

Thanks,

------------------
Disappears in a cloud of black ink...