PDA

View Full Version : Flying a Single Engine Turbine

nouseforaname
11th Jun 2005, 21:45
I want to fly an 'N' reg. single engine turbine/turbo prop similar to a TBM700

I have a UK PPL and a US PPL based on that. I also have a US instrument US test passed.

On UK PPL it says that I have a rating for Single Engine PISTON Land

On my US Private it says I have a rating for Single Engine Land

However it also says all limitations and restrictions on the UK licence apply...is single engine PISTON land a restriction or limitation?

My brother has to wear corrective lenses and this is written on his FAA private as limitiation just to give you an idea...

this is a tricky 1!

Panama Jack
12th Jun 2005, 04:57
Given the FAA's track record, you could almost even assume that there will be different interpretations from one Flight Standards District Office to the next. The higher power (insurance company) may also have something to say about this.

However, based on the info you've provided and my knowledge of licence validations in the United States, the validation basically allows you to do what your UK one does in the US on an N-numbered airplane. So my interpretation-- Single Engine piston-- just like it says on the UK one.

Here is an idea-- why not go for the unrestricted US PPL?

spider123
14th Jun 2005, 15:12
nouseforaname

You need to either

(i) Get a JAA Type Rating for the Turboprop Type you're after.

or

(ii) Get a standalone FAA licence. The TBM is not type rated but you do need the various complex/high altitude signoffs.

I concur with Panama Jack. The FAA standalone licence is fairly easy to get, and saves the annual JAA LPC tests for the Turboprop type ratings. That way your JAA "piston" restriction will not apply.

nouseforaname
17th Jun 2005, 06:01
that is what i'm going to do thanks.

mikepops
18th Jun 2005, 19:23
I have an FAA CPL IR ME & PPL Single Eng Land. I also have a JAA fATPL. Does this mean I can operate UK registered single turbines?

specialbrew
18th Jun 2005, 19:31
Dont think so, I think you will need a JAA type rating if it is on a JAA register.

Silent Running
23rd Jun 2005, 13:05
Whilst not an authority on the subject, the following may help...

Provided your professional FAA licences are current you should be able to fly the a/c on the basis of the standard (complex) SE land plane rating. However, the insurance company would probably intervene and require evidence of an approved course to type/class qualification.

To fly the a/c on a UK/JAA licence would require the appropriate course leading to a SE Turbine Class rating - valid for 2 years.

FAA PPL would be advised to complete an approved course (about 5 working days min) with someone like SIMCOM and then could expect an insurance company to require in the region of 50 to 100 hrs with a similarly rated pilot alongside prior to solo approval