PDA

View Full Version : PPL in SA

Dave Young
11th Jun 2005, 13:21
I'm new to the site and was wondering if anyone knows of the best and preferably the cheapest company to gain my PPL in SA. I have friends to stay with in Cape Town so this would be ideal.

I would be most gratefull for any help as I am itching to get my wings but prices in the UK are expensive and its an ideal opportunity to catch up with old friends.

Thanks for any help.

sky waiter
12th Jun 2005, 13:55
there are a number of very good schools in CPt what you have to consider though is the weather at this time of year so plan on spending a while, also the three schools that operate out of cape town int'l have long delays due to traffic, try a web search for flying schools in that area, if you want www.aptrac.com, based in pe is a very proffesional school with full accomodation facilities. PM me if you would like further info.
Regards

Sky waiter

Heliport
12th Jun 2005, 19:15
Lots of information on this thread.

Click: PPL training in South Africa (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=174822)

james ozzie
12th Jun 2005, 19:48
If you have accom. sorted out in Cape Town, I would highly reccommend training there. The ATC delays mentioned above ARE there but are not as common as one might think(yeah, yeah, we all have a story....) The ATC do a fine job of squeezing the GA traffic in with the heavy metal and the benefit of training in this environment far outweighs the occasional delays and admittedly longer taxying times. The guys who trained off a farm strip on one radio frequency seem less able to cope with a busy controlled environment.

Of course I reccommend you contact Good Hope Flying Club....

Weatherwise, it is all maritime frontal weather with beautiful winter flying days between fronts. The patterns are well forecasted and if you are a full time student you at least can book your training when there are weather gaps (as opposed to having to fit in a job too). The instructors will always help to squeeze you into the weather gaps as they need income too. The winter fronts do persist quite a way into summer though

And what a great city to spend time in! Good luck.