PDA

View Full Version : Avionics

mackie
13th Feb 2001, 19:22
I'm thinking of trying to get into engineering. all the advice on other postings have been really helpful - but I'm a bit confused

What's the deal with avionics? Why is there nobody doing it and how hard is it to get into?

Diablo
13th Feb 2001, 20:29
Where do you start,

The whole A & C avionics thing goes back a long way, initially in the RAF there were 5 avionic trades and the engine and airframe. This was mirrored some what in the BCAR system of licencing. People tended to go for both A & C licences or Electrics Instrument s and Autopilot combined (multi X) then on the fringe was the strange bunch the Radio/Radar guys. If you now want your JAR66 B2 license you have in BCAR terms got to take the equivelant of 5 licenses to be avionic or 3 if you want to be a knuckle dragger!

This put a lot of people off and still does. Because there are relatively few Avionics to A & C guys about, there would seem to be a shortage, but i'm not so sure. On the other hand, a lot of line stations do not employ avionics at all and run with A & C with a limited avionics cover. This limits job vacancies on that front.

I'm not sure what you're thoughts are, some would say A & C is easier than Avionics, but if you plan on making a career out of it, don't make you're mind up on the back of that. I enjoy the scope of avionics and I would make you're mind up on the back of what would interest you. There are a lot of obsticles in your way. The old chestnut "you can't get a job without experience, you can't get experience without a job" really applies in this one. Wages are slowly creeping up but getting you're foot in the door is going to be tough. I'm not sure of any body taking people off the street, they all seem to be going to college for 3 years or getting apprenticeships but these are getting very few and far between.

Its not a bad job, it has its good and bad points , but so do all. Best thing to do is see if you can get some work experience and make you're mind up on the back of that....

[This message has been edited by Diablo (edited 13 February 2001).]

Firkin L
14th Feb 2001, 00:35
Dear Mackie, If I had my time again I'd go avionics for the following bitter and twisted reasons:-
1)These people can earn more than me without the responsibility of having to run the place, because they generally have 5 licences.
2)Don't get dirty or greasy.
3)Don't expect to do refuelling.
4)Don't expect to do PDI's.
5)Don't expect to do de-icing.
6)Generally work in the warm and dry.
7)Seem to be able to move between employers easier than A&C guys.
8)Spend more time in the crewroom looking at Flight searching for jobs, see 7)
9)Hide in the battery bay when you're looking for a towing team.
10)Get the already overstretched heavies to remove tricky panels for you etc.

Ten pretty good reasons to become avionics.

Coriolis
14th Feb 2001, 01:40
With tongue slightly in cheek I agree with Firkin (but step 1 should read "gets paid more even with same or fewer tickets!!"

If only I had the brains to work out the difference between hamps,jolts, holmes and those other strange things those REALLY bright guys work with....

Still, they'll always need us to supply a thing to hang the boxes 'n' wires from..

Best advice in the current climate is to consider taking up piano playing 'cos that way the customer gives rapturous applause when all you've done is your job - hands up whoever got a clap from the SLF after pushback??

------------------
Ground tested, no fault found

mackie
14th Feb 2001, 13:57
Hmmmm - slightly less confused than I was before - but not much!

Thanks for your advice guys

I'll maybe take a bit more time to think about it!

Bus429
14th Feb 2001, 17:01
Firkin is wrong! Plenty of avionic guys on the line do pre-flights, daily checks and associated dirty jobs!

Golden Rivet
14th Feb 2001, 17:52
Looks like someone struck a nerve there !

------------------
Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread

Blacksheep
14th Feb 2001, 18:23
Mackie,

If you really want to get into aircraft engineering you have to decide what your interest is. First you must have an interest in aeroplanes or helicopters. Then, if you like fixing mechanical things go for A & C (Airframes and Engines that is) On the other hand, if you prefer tinkering with electrical or electronic bits and pieces go for Avionics. It is a mistake to follow any path only for the money or "prospects" (whatever they are.) You have to like what you are doing or else it becomes a boring grind no matter what it is.

The reason why fewer avionic recruits are coming forward these days is simple. People who like tinkering with electronics have more opportunities elsewhere. When I went into avionics aerospace was the cutting edge for electronics; that is no longer the case. By all means try avionics, (I like it well enough) but only if you are really interested in aircraft first.

Through difficulties to the cinema

Firkin L
15th Feb 2001, 02:36
Dear BUS429, Yeh I know they do, I just like winding them up. No offence meant!