PDA

View Full Version : Curtis Pitts Passes away

canadair
11th Jun 2005, 03:59
No, not airline specific...

But on June 10, Curtis Pitts passed away.
So, for anyone who has flown, ridden in, or just enjoyed watching his fantastic aircraft, spare a thought for Curtis.
An amazing designer, great aircraft, and a really nice person.

" A Pitts is something special"

Thanks Curtis!

ATPMBA
11th Jun 2005, 12:56
I do have the plans and right to build a Pitts Special. I'd rather fly than build.

In the '60's and '70's it was the hot ship, but newer technology surpassed it.

How old was the guy?

3holelover
11th Jun 2005, 13:21
ATPMBA,

That's like saying technolgy surpassed The Spitfire, or a Boeing Stearman, or [insert any of several airplanes here]. Ok, but it take's nothing away from what is still an absolutley fantastic, and beautiful little airplane. The man did it right.

Go in peace Curtis Pitts. Thank you for adding to the beauty of flight.

3holelover
11th Jun 2005, 14:43
Oi??? Why'd this one get "moved"?? This doesn't qualify as "News"? :(

TimS
11th Jun 2005, 16:01
Or hopefully an unsupported rumour !

Unfortunately, probably not - God rest his sole and if any 'slipped the surly bonds of earth' he probably did !

This article was dated April 2003, so he must have been just short of 90 (good run huh?) ......

OZARK - In 1943, Curtis Pitts decided to build himself an airplane.

He didn\'t plan to build any more planes when the craft was completed.

"I only intended to build one airplane - for myself," the now 87-year-old Homestead, Fla., man clarified.

But despite his intentions, the Pitts Special caught on. Today, the aircraft Pitts designed 60 years ago is considered the most recognized and successful American-built aerobatic design. Pitts went on to design a number of variations to the original and is now working on the Pitts Model 14.

The aircraft pioneer will be honored today with an aerobatic fly-in and aircraft show at Ozark\'s Blackwell Field. Event organizer Marshall Collins said he wanted to host the event because of his love for Pitts himself, for the Pitts aircraft and for the Pitts people.

"I wanted to bring all the Pitts people here," he said.

Several different models of the Pitts biplane are lined up next to the runway in Ozark.
As brightly painted planes sped across Blackwell Field and overhead Friday, it appeared that Collins had succeeded in his mission. Shiny Pitts models glistened in the sun, and their owners ambled around the crowded tarmac sharing stories and comparing their planes.

"It\'s kind of like a farmer going to a tractor pull," said Keith Phillips, of Daytona, Fla. "They talk about tractors, and we talk about aircraft."

Phillips and his son Michael Phillips flew to the event in their Pitts Model 12. Like many of the Pitts craft, the two-seater plane is an experimental model they built themselves.

Keith said it took three years to build the plane, but he feels the experimental models are better than the factory-made aircraft because they are home built.

The Phillips duo explained that the Pitts aircraft are great for aerobatics because their design makes them capable of flying equally well upside down as upright.

"When all your change falls out of your pocket - that\'s when you know you\'re upside down," Michael Phillips said.

Hazel Sig of Montezuma, Iowa, was sitting in a lawn chair watching the excitement around her as the sun began to set Friday. Now 81, Sig said she learned to fly an airplane before she learned to drive a car. She and her first husband started the world-renowned model airplane company -- Sig Manufacturing.

Sig\'s insurance company banned her from flying Pitts models after her first husband was killed in an accident at a Pitts show in 1980, but the spunky redhead said she still remembers the excitement of flying the small planes.

"It\'s a tremendous thrill flying a Pitts -- especially the single placement ones," she said. "You kind of put them on, and you think about what you want to do and it seems like you can do it."

Ten to 12 aerobatic acts are scheduled throughout the day Saturday. Among the acts is a formation flying show by a Canadian duo and a solo aerobatics show by Bill Finagin of Annapolis, Md.

Finagin - a Pitts dealer, dentist and retired Navy Admiral - said it takes a lot of practice at high altitudes to safely perform the aerobatics that will be featured in the show today.

"The plane will be going up, down, rolling and sometimes people might not be sure what the plane is doing," he said. "It\'s kind of like the P.T. Barnum of flying - make it look difficult but don\'t risk your life."

As the visiting pilots continued to file in at Blackwell Field Friday, Pitts sat inside a hangar visiting. Though he doesn\'t go to many shows anymore, Pitts said when he does go his main reason is to visit with the people. "I\'ve seen the airplanes," he joked.

Well into his 80s, Pitts no longer pilots his planes but he is still designing them.

"It\'s better than watching TV," he said. "... I wanted to retire, but it seems like these people won\'t let me."

GotTheTshirt
11th Jun 2005, 16:53
Curtis was 89 and died from complications of a heart valvre replacement.

Built his first in 1943

The oldest surviving aircraft is the "Little Stinker" built in 1946 and the smallest of the Pitts and at that time the worlds smallest aerobatic aircraft

Wizofoz
12th Jun 2005, 13:29
Having owned and flown those "New Technology" types, the aircraft I most miss and wish I'd never sold was my Pitts S1S.

I had the honour of talking to Curtis on a couple of occasions. A more humble, helpful and interesting man has not been born.

7p3i7lot
17th Jun 2005, 13:53
This article from AOPA has links to a movie of his first Pitts flight test (sans FAA approval BTW!)..

"AEROBATIC LEGEND CURTIS PITTS DIES AT 89
Curtis Pitts was still involved in the design of his new Model 14
( http://www.steenaero.com/Pitts14/ ) before he died in Miami June 10 of complications resulting from a heart valve replacement. Steen Aero will finish the nearly completed design. Pitts sold the rights to the famous Pitts biplane in 1977, yet it remains in production at Aviat Aircraft. He helped design Aviat's Pitts S-2C wings in 1998 because, "It keeps me out of the bars," he once joked to "AOPA Pilot"

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pilot/1998/pitt9804.html
He first flew the famous design in 1945; you can see that flight, conducted without permission of Civil Aviation Authority inspectors, on the Web (

http://www.steenaero.com/PittsS1/history_first_flight_video.cfm

The Pitts was used by Charlie Hillard and Mary Gaffney to win top honors at the 1972 World Aerobatic Competition. Pitts suffered a stroke in 2004 but was still able to direct others to do design work. His wife, Willie Mae Pitts, who is credited with some of the work on early Pitts models, died in 1998."

G-KEST
19th Jun 2005, 20:02
A note from Curtis' local International Aerobatic Club chapter -

As you all know, Curtis Pitts was laid to rest this past Wednesday in Naranja, Florida (Homestead).

Future members of IAC Chapter #37 (sanctioning pending) participated in a memorial fly-by and missing man formation.

The family couldn’t have been more pleased, and about 35 of them drove out to Homestead General Aviation Airport afterwards to check out the participating aircraft. Some had never seen a Pitts Special up close before! One of his great-grandaughters went for a ride in an S2B and had a blast. Considering the circumstances, it was a happy occasion for all involved!

The service was highlighted by testimonials by many of Curtis’ close friends and associates, including Pat Ledford, Will & Craig Teft, Don Lovern, Paul Goetsch and many family members. Although flying and aerobatics were a great part of Mr. Pitts life, his great passion for fishing and his distain for Game Wardens were brought up again and again!

Special thanks to the following pilots for their participation:
Jeff Miller – North American T-28A
Tommy Boreck – Pitts S-2-B (missing man)
Dan Salcedo – Pitts S-1-11-B (Best Biplane at Sun-n-Fun 2005)
Chris Kirk – Pitts S-1-C/S
Dale Evans – Acroduster II
Stan Holland – Super Cub (rebuilt by C. Pitts)
Jon Fox – Extra 300L
Doug Causey – Extra 300L

The service was attended by members of the FAA , and they along with about 100 others will swear that at no time did any aircraft violate any FAR’s……………! J

It seems to have been a grand sendoff. He will always be remembered as long as any of his designs continue to grace, or occasionally assault, the skies right round the world.

Cheers,

Trapper 69
:( :( :( :(