PDA

View Full Version : Flying and baby

tia1
10th Jun 2005, 20:46
Hi Crew!

Hope you guys can give me some advice. I was offered a job as cabin crew with BA at the end of last year, 3 months after having my baby. I decided it was to soon to go back to flying at the time and HR very kindly said they would keep the offer open until september wereby I should call them so they could place me on a course.

Now I'm having second thoughts and am not sure how I'm going to manage flying full time and be a mum to my baby boy. I know about the bidding system, but can anyone help me and tell me how I can manage full time flying and still see my baby and husband? Part time flying would be perfect but I doubt they will offer this to me.

Will I have to say goodbye to my dream job??

Fly Princess
10th Jun 2005, 22:14
Congratulations!!!! Nothing is more special and amazing in life than your first baby ~ You already have the "dream job!" (Really, you DO!) But I know what you mean; I had my first last August. Sometimes amidst the haze of sleep deprivation and other factors, it's easy to forget what an incredible thing we are experiencing.

I will tell you that if you can find a way to balance this with work (for pay), it does get easier. The baby will get more independent (hard as it is now to believe!) and the workload a bit more managable as time goes on. The downside is, not only will you miss many of her "firsts" and special moments, you really cannot be in full control of the way your baby is taken care of.

There are lots of perfectly fine alternatives to being a stay-at-home mom, and no doubt you will find a safe and secure place for her to be in your absence; however nobody looks after them quite like you would.

For whatever it is worth, I have forgone my flying career options in favor of being at home with our son. Part of that has to do with his daddy's career (also an airline pilot), part of it has to do with my age (I am already 37) and part of it the fact that I am a control freak and refused to leave him with anyone (except daddy) because I wanted to make sure he received not only adequate care, but love; but mostly it has to do with looking inside to find my own truth, and determining that this is truly what's best for our baby. Your truth may be different than mine.

Either way, I empathize with the decision you have before you and wish you nothing but the best of luck in the future.

tart1
10th Jun 2005, 22:25
Tia1 - enjoy your baby while you can (and your husband too!)

I think that it is very hard to fly and see your family enough when you are at the stage you are at!

Please make the most of this time you have .... you won't get it again. They won't take you on as a part-timer and I doubt you'll find anyone who will.

Wait a year or two or three .............. the job will always be there, the family won't!!

From an embittered old ex-stewardess, who thought she had it all and then lost it unexpectedly!! (But hasn't lost her sense of humour!! :cool: )

tia1
11th Jun 2005, 09:00
Thanks so much guys!

I adore my baby boy and the thought of not seeing him everyday makes me very sad. I also absolutly love being a mummy and have realised that this is what I was put on earth for, to nuture and love my baby.

I don't want to work at all but in this day and age its so hard to pay the mortgage and bills with one income. I'm going to take your advice, I can apply for BA in a few years they liked me once why not again?

I know Excel take on part time flyers 5 days on 9 days off I think I'll give them a go.

My mum will help with childcare, who would be more perfect than my baby's nanna!!

bluestars
12th Jun 2005, 15:33
Tia1

At BA you can bid for just there and backs... so that you arent away from home on trips.. however you can get called out on a trip from standby.

Full time is bloomin hard work though and the thought of doing that AND looking after your little one just makes me feel absolutely shattered but people do somehow manage it.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do sweetie....

Bluestars