PDA

View Full Version : When will Europe allow live flight tracking

BMI701EGCC
10th Jun 2005, 20:15
when will Europe allow companies like AirNav Systems, products such as fight explorer to track live European flights?its been allowed in the US for years, so why not here in Europe.

Personally i think its because there are too many countries who have their own opinion...

would like you guys to shed some light on this situation if possible, thanks for your time...

BMI701EGCC

A-FLOOR
10th Jun 2005, 20:37
Why would they? Perhaps in the US such services have been made available for legal reasons, but to be quite honest I see absolutely no point to it other than avid spotters F5-ing their favourite airport to see who's coming in today.

On the other hand, you should consider the security implications this has... after all, all major airports in Europe remain on the lookout for people brandishing portable surface-to-air missiles in the vincinity of their active runways. Such a system would provide people with bad intent with a means of telling when exactly a certain flight is coming in, long before it is within tower range.

To be honest I would really like such a system to be operational in Europe just as much as you, but so far we seem to be doing fairly good without one :}

Ballymoss
10th Jun 2005, 20:51
They do and, FE seems to work just fine for most of Europe.

Rgds
The Moss:ok:

A-FLOOR
11th Jun 2005, 07:49
Quote from the FE FAQ (http://www.flightexplorer.com/profaq.aspx#003):What areas of the world does Flight Explorer provide flight data for?

Flight Explorer has data feeds that provide you with a real-time picture of IFR aircraft over the US (including Alaska and Hawaii), Canada, United Kingdom (for approved customers only), New Zealand and sections of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.

Flight Explorer has also partnered with Honeywell GDC, Blue Sky Network, Sky Connect, Latitude Technologies and Wingspeed to track their aircraft anywhere in the world. Flight Explorer can also display ACARS data.
I think he means freely, and without having to sign up to a dozen different networks ;)

Or are the British Isles regarded as "most of Europe" on this board? :confused: :E

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
11th Jun 2005, 08:59
BMA1701EGCC - Why? Everything works perfectly OK at present so let's hear what you consider to be good reasons for such a system to be made public domain.

Lon More
11th Jun 2005, 09:50
This was recently discussed in the ATC Forum (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=174021)
The jury still seems to be out

Sonic Cruiser
11th Jun 2005, 11:04
A Floor

I think any people brandishing surface to Airs won't need a system like that. They will use their Eyes! On a clear day like today you can see planes for 20 miles round LHR anyway so it wouldn't give anyone any advantage.

A-FLOOR
11th Jun 2005, 11:44
I don't agree with you on this, but I'm not going to discuss the technicalities of this on a public forum.

Please PM me if you want an explanation. :)