PDA

View Full Version : Big Mess in Loki today!!!

4granted
10th Jun 2005, 18:12
Apparently a 748 did a wheels up. Then a Transafric Herc tried to land after on reduced runway. Did hard landing breaking the tail off and coming to a stop against said 748.

No jokes no fatalities.....

Anyone with more??

4G:*

cavortingcheetah
10th Jun 2005, 18:19
:) Two small points to satisfy my stumbling mind.

Please tell, where is Loki ?
Norse Gods and dementia spring to mind.

What was the registration of the 748 please?
The last two letters will do.

Many thanks.
cc

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Jun 2005, 19:12
Lokichokio is a small border town in Northern Kenya used as a support base for humanitarian operations into Southern Sudan.

Hot, dry and dusty, populated almost entirely by flies, camels and lunatics.:E :ok:

The 748 is most likely Kenyan registered and operated by a mixed bag of expats, mainly Canucks IIRC.

Transafrik Hercs are S9 (Sao Tome) registered but have heard they may have a couple on the Kenyan register.

4granted
10th Jun 2005, 19:25
Please understand that facts a scarce at moment.... It might not have been a 748 but the operator is 748 Kenyan Loki based, and they might operate 748's and an Antonov apparently.... really not sure... It might just be a rumour but was talking to somone who was on appron looking at wrecks... Definately a Transafric Herc though, S9.. lots of Pilipinoes running around...

4g

cavortingcheetah
10th Jun 2005, 20:14
:D

Actually, that is quite funny.
I drove to Loki, via Bombay, long story, in a Land Rover in 1970.
Thank you for the information.
I used to fly certain 748s in Africa.
Many thanks,
regards.cc

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Jun 2005, 21:01
CC, these particular 748s would be the ex mil version with stronger engines, reverse thrust, a rear ramp and the ability to kneel. I'm guessing you flew the old Vomit Comets, Mk 2A & 2B for Spoories.

Shrike200
10th Jun 2005, 21:03
Camels!? I never saw camels there!? Not that I toured the whole town, just sections of Afex, ICRC base, Trackmark etc...

Sounds like an interesting day if all gen is correct though!

V1 Rotate
10th Jun 2005, 21:15
Surely Mark Creen is still there with his digital camera???
Where are the pics???

Anyone??

V1:8 :8

SASless
10th Jun 2005, 21:16
SRT...sounds like you are describing one of my ex-wives there.....

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Jun 2005, 21:16
Herdsmen used to lead a string of camels for water past the fence next to the rooftop bar at the Hilton each morning and evening.

Forgot to mention the mongoose (mongooses? mongeese?) and the leguans.

SASless

(Homer Simpson voice...) Maaaybeee.....:E

cavortingcheetah
10th Jun 2005, 21:19
;) SRT.

Close enough and thank you.
Must Bop along now if you catch the old drift.
cc

utala
11th Jun 2005, 13:27
Did anyone take pictures of the incident?

Gunship
11th Jun 2005, 15:00
I drove to Loki, via Bombay, long story, in a Land Rover in 1970.

We have time to listen around the Campfire :ok:

BAKELA
11th Jun 2005, 16:21
Hot, dry and dusty, populated almost entirely by flies, camels and lunatics ...sounds like you are describing one of my ex-wives there.....SASless, all my sympathies...have High Court order myself...

CC, Must Bop along now if you catch the old driftMostly still on klip drift and Castle, but could not miss the "I vant to hear van click" there (in later years of course) :ok:

cavortingcheetah
11th Jun 2005, 16:29
;) van click? That klips my drift.
I know about van Klonk and The Madonna with Ze Big Boobies, but van Click?

Anyway, a small tale for the benefit of Gunship, who does come up with the occasional excellent post, may be found on Campfire, as he requested.
I retire, humble and abashed as usual.
:p

BAKELA
11th Jun 2005, 19:43
CC,

I greet you in commensuration.

Happened to frequent the Campfire for a timeous span recently. It appears as though you have excelled in abundant ability with your subtle capacity to keep the subservient crowd attached to the intrinsic intrigue you divulged unto the levelled scope of appreciation as offered by the very educated absorbotants of the written recorded merchandise as offerred on the Campfire.

I will continue to indulge myself, from time to time, in to absorbing the astronomic hodiernal information you convey which leaves us hispid with envy at times.

I shall ensure that the required aggregate of fluid entities of various compostions are consumed timely, to lead to the accomplishment of my co-ordinated locomotion to be positioned correctly, in an almost semi-indeclinable postion, in front of the information exchange devise with it's multi-faceted full colour display and information input press-the-block contraption that facilitates my replying to your inputs

I shall, henceforth, never allow myself to be subversive to hokum again.

Salute and compliments,
BAKELA

[Edited to be moved to the Campfire by BAKELA]

4granted
12th Jun 2005, 20:04
Guys, this happened, so I dont mind that it turns in to a Loki old boys get together or Land rover best4x4xfar thread but, even though I posted it, Im still seeking info re this crash.

Anyone got more info or can I ask for it to be removed, I mean a Herc crashed into a wheeels up aircraft in Loki...... and the pilot was a RSA dude..

ok time to go home and sleep..
4g:=

Solid Rust Twotter
12th Jun 2005, 20:21
Nothing on any of the news networks?

Obviously a bit of a warning of the incoming aircraft was to be had. Wonder if anyone filmed it for crash investigation purposes?

The proximity to a Turkana camp and a number of other buildings make it a minor miracle no one was injured or killed.:ok:

SA Fred
13th Jun 2005, 14:56
There was a write up in the local rag but I lost it. From memory: The "748" was a Let 410 belong to 748 Services. Had some sort of undercarriage problem. The C130 was told the runway was blocked but declined to divert as they were (apparently) low on fuel. Both Pilots were named. The C130 was piloted by a SA national according to the article.

Loki was apparently closed for 2 days but is now operational.

Will hunt down a copy of the article and post if i can find it.

steamchicken
13th Jun 2005, 15:42
If Transafrik, it was probably an L-100 rather than a C-130 - any registration?

utala
13th Jun 2005, 16:13
Peter Ng'etich
Nairobi

Lokichoggio airstrip remained closed to air traffic for the second day after two cargo planes crashed.

All traffic was re-directed to Kakuma airstrip or Eldoret airport as investigators from the Kenya Airports Authority and the Kenya Airports Police Unit looked into the cause of the crash.

The wrecks of the two aircraft were yesterday being removed from the runway. The two aircraft are a cargo plane Reg No 5Y SFE belonging to 748 Air Services and piloted by a Canadian identified as Scott Peterson, co-piloted by Rashid Hussein and a Hercules C-130 plane Reg No S9-BAS piloted by South African national Wilson Mackinon.

Turkana District Commissioner Njenga Miiri confirmed the incident but said that there were no casualties.

It was reported that the pilot of the first plane crash-landed on the runway after his landing gear failed while the pilot of the second plane owned by Transafrique but leased by the United Nations World Food Programme hit the first plane while attempting to land on the narrow runway.

Other cargo planes which carry relief food to southern Sudan were instructed to land at Elobeid Airport in southern Sudan following the incident.

Lokichoggio Catholic Justice and Peace Commission coordinator Peter Moru said the passenger plane with two pilots and a hostess crashed-landed on the Lokichoggio runway as it tried to land.

The second aircraft crashed as the airstrip's personnel were trying to clear the runway of the first plane's wreckage at 2.55 pm. The cargo plane had two pilots also and three crew members.

The pilot had been asked to proceed to Eldoret by the crew as the runway was blocked, but he said he had no fuel and he thought he could manoeuvre his way.

The cargo plane was coming back from southern Sudan after dropping relief in the region.

The passenger plane was from Elobeid Airport in Sudan.

This link for pictures of S9-BAS

http://www.aerotransport.org/php/go.php?q=regn+S9-BAS

SA Fred
13th Jun 2005, 18:25
Thats the article I read. I must have got the aircraft type --Let 410-- from discussions in the bar last night.

I see that we have "two cargo planes" then "the passenger plane with two pilots and a hostess" and later on "The passenger plane was from Elobeid Airport in Sudan."

makeapullup
14th Jun 2005, 07:36
This can't be good.
http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,6119,2-7-1442_1721003,00.html

Gunship
14th Jun 2005, 08:24
I could not open the link but I pressume you refer to this article makeahughepullup ? :E

Pretoria - A South African pilot was involved in a bizarre incident in which two planes crashed on a runway in Lokichokio in Northern Kenya. The runway had to be closed for two days to clear the wreckage.

The name of the South African pilot has not been released. Peter Smerdon, spokesperson for the United Nations' World Food Programme (WFP), said on Monday the accident happened shortly after 13:00 on Friday when a Hawker-Siddeley 748 cargo plane belonging to a Kenyan airline landed without landing gear.

The Hawker-Siddeley formed part of an air-bridge consisting of several planes from various aid organisations that transported food from Lokichokio to Sudan.

The pilot had no alternative but to perform a belly-landing, and the airport was closed to incoming air traffic because of wreckage strewn on the runway. Flights were directed to other airports.

About an hour later a Hercules L-100 cargo plane belonging to Transafrik arrived at Lokichokio after dropping emergency supplies for the WFP in Sudan.

Transafrik, which is based in Angola, employs several South African and former air force pilots.

When the control tower turned the Hercules away, the pilot informed the crew, including the South African, that they didn't have enough fuel to reroute, but that he would instead attempt to land on a part of the runway that was clear of wreckage.

The pilot set the plane down hard, in the process bending the aircraft's frame.

Smerdon said the Hercules remained in one piece, but the momentum carried it forward into the wreckage of the Hawker-Siddeley.

"Wreckage of both aircraft were then strewn across the whole runway, confounding the clearing up process. Fortunately the fire engine was still at hand after putting out the fire caused by the first crash landing.

"Nobody was injured. Two tractors dragged away the wreckage and the airport was closed for two days."

Smerdon said flights resumed on Monday afternoon "to our relief, since the airport is increasingly used for international flights".

I.R.PIRATE
14th Jun 2005, 10:40
"Smerdon said flights resumed on Monday afternoon "to our relief, since the airport is increasingly used for international flights".

I do believe that its not to their relief, but the relief of Sudan in question.

4granted
14th Jun 2005, 15:12
I've got the photos, but have no idea how to upload them.
I can email them if anyone likes.
PM me

4G

utala
14th Jun 2005, 17:16
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/windhammotorcycles/IM0007502.jpghosted by Photobucket.com">

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/windhammotorcycles/IM0007472.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/windhammotorcycles/IM0007462.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/windhammotorcycles/IM0007443.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/windhammotorcycles/IM0007413.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/windhammotorcycles/IM0007393.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/windhammotorcycles/im0007383.jpg

Woof etc
14th Jun 2005, 17:50
So was it a LET 410 or a HS748 that landed wheels up ???

utala
14th Jun 2005, 18:04
5y-SFE appears to be a 748. Deffineatly not a Let410

Shrike200
14th Jun 2005, 18:33
Er, it appears Andover-ish to me actually....

Solid Rust Twotter
14th Jun 2005, 18:44
Yep

Andover MkI IIRC. Pretty close to the Turkana camp.

ByAirMail
15th Jun 2005, 00:49
Just the sign board on the fence is worth a photo.
Wonder how many locals, herdsmen can read?

Taildragger
15th Jun 2005, 08:19
Could be a YS-11. Just a thought. And a Belfast.?.......definitely a Belfast.

SA Fred
16th Jun 2005, 16:12
Sorry for the duf gen. Shows how much rubbish gets spoken in the pub. The C130 has since been repaired with black plastic bags!

SASless
16th Jun 2005, 16:41
"The pilot set the plane down hard, in the process bending the aircraft's frame. "

A bit of journalistic understatement?

SafeSky
27th Jun 2005, 06:28
Hello my boys...

Looks like a std FAGC landing to me... ;)

jeff748
29th Jun 2005, 17:01
It's an Andover, Over!

Where are we now?
29th Jun 2005, 18:48
And now the Andover is a "Leftover"....