PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Laptop Feedback

GMS
10th Jun 2005, 14:10
I am keen to hear of your experience with Samsung laptops. I am interested in the Samsung X20 Intel Pentium M 730 1.6GHz, and would appreciate any feedback on on this product or Samsung in general.

Many thanks,

GMS

BLUE SKY THINKER
10th Jun 2005, 23:46
GMS.....

http://www.samsungpc.com/products/x15_x15plus/x15_x15plus.jpg

I bought the forerunner to the model you are interested in - the X15 Plus - about nine months ago. .....Streets ahead of my previous Dell; beautifully made, lightweight, with excellent keyboard. .....The main attraction was its optional, well lit, high definition screen (1400X1050). .....I was also keen to have the "matt" finish, not being a great fan of the Sony type reflective variety. .....I note the X20 does not have the option of the 1400X1050, only 1024X768 and that they are now referred to as "SuperBright". .....Whether this implies backlighting on a matt screen or a move to the reflective variety, I don't know. .....Should a need for customer support arise it's bliss to feel you are getting somewhere with the Edinburgh base, rather than the usual palaver abroad with an increasing number of companies.

One downside, the fan is on almost all the time which I wasn't used to previously, or particularly keen on. .....Samsung claim this is intentional on all Centrino machines following a recommendation from Intel. .....Others claim it is a heat issue with their Notebook casings. .....Who is right I don't know, but in fairness it's not overly obtrusive on its default setting 1 (of 3) although mine runs a lot more on 2 with the increase of content on hard drive and after upping my RAM to 1Gb. .....Even at full go, the casing has never been more than (usual) warm.

At the time, quite expensive compared to the competion. .....Soon seduced by its looks (!) and not disappointed.

GMS
11th Jun 2005, 08:09
Thanks for your comments Blue Sky Thinker, glad you are happy with it.

GMS