PDA

View Full Version : Global Express Crews

mgdaviso
10th Jun 2005, 10:30
Any GEX front seaters out there who can answer a question on the a/c for me please?

Air Driven Generator
10th Jun 2005, 12:10
Depends on the question :}

ADG

mgdaviso
10th Jun 2005, 12:43
ah yeah, good point.

What stages of flight do you use the flight spoilers on the wings?

Air Driven Generator
10th Jun 2005, 14:05
Flight Spoilers on the GEX are used the same as any other Jet Aircraft.

An example would be when in the decent given a speed and height restriction, the flight spoilers would assist in decending at a higher rate and also ensuring the speed is kept to the restriction.

The Flight Spoilers on the ground become Ground spoilers, after landing if the Ground spoilers are selected to 'Auto' all the spoilers on the wing will aide in slowing the aircraft.

Hope that helps...

ADG

AA717driver
11th Jun 2005, 03:17
I use them when I'm given a crossing that I could not normally make--IF I'm feeling charitable and don't want to make a point with the controller.

I also use them when I misjudge a descent--In my previous life, we were hammered if we didn't level off right at the required descent point. (Yes, I know you have 5 miles or so to play with but it was a point of pride for us or fuel savings or some such stuff...)

Anyway, I'm still in the habit of doing a 1 for 3 descent and adjusting on the way down. Sometimes you just need boards to help a little.

I'll understand if you bash me for flying a G550 like a DC9...:p TC

farmer jo
11th Jun 2005, 05:47
For your info :
There are 4 multifunctional spoilers (MFS) and 2 ground spoilers on each wing.
The MFS provide roll assistance, inflight lift dumping (speed brakes) and ground lift dumping. They also act as a back up to the ailerons in the event of an aileron failure !
In onormal opeation you rarely touch them,they are fully atuomatic except for lift dumping, and then with the FMS and auto throttles its a rare occaision to pull the flight spoiler handle ?

FJ

sixfeetabove
11th Jun 2005, 15:05
@AA717

..what is a considered to be a 1 for 3 descent...?

wondering
12th Jun 2005, 09:50
300ft descent = 1NM, just what a 3° ILS gives you.

AA717driver
13th Jun 2005, 04:57
sixfeet and wondering--I'm sorry, I should have explained it better. The 1 for 3 comes from a descent rate that gives you a 1000' descent every 3 miles. It was the benchmark we used when I was at my previous company.

Now, the Gulfstreams (and I assume the other biz jets) will do much better than 1 for 3 at idle power unless you have a good tailwind. That's just where I start and I adjust as necessary.TC

mgdaviso
13th Jun 2005, 18:00
Thank you for answering my question :D , here is another one...

On the landing gear panel, other than the obvious UP/DOWN lever what are the other things for:

"DN LCK RELEASE" button.
"Nose Steer ARMED/OFF"
Horn
BTMS OVHT WARN RESET
EVENT

To operate the Gear lever, is it guarded in anyway?
Do you have to pull it out slightly to move it up/down?

Thanks

FLEXJET
13th Jun 2005, 19:20
There are plenty of things to play with in a GLEX, but these equipment are standard for the category:

Nose steer: armed at low speeds while taxiing, begining the take-off roll or at the end of the landing roll.

BTMS : Brake Temperature Monitoring System, Overheat warning system

Horn: activated when power idle, to prevent a gear-up landing
The horn silencer position is convenient during training.

DN LCK RELEASE: releases the locks in an emergency even if the entire hydraulic Down system malfunctioned.

One of the latest model (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/842463/L)

chinny
14th Jun 2005, 05:58
:p GIV we use 1:2..... I think????!!!:sad: