PDA

View Full Version : more things dropping out the sky

wheelbay
10th Jun 2005, 09:03
It was all Russian to pilot
10/06/2005 09:46 - (SA)

Norman Silke

Port Elizabeth - Pushbuttons spaced too close to each other and the inability to read Russian last weekend caused extreme consternation when the two fuel tanks of an L29 jet plane were jettisoned from thousands of metres above the ground and landed on Free State soil.

Athol Franz, editor of African Pilot magazine, utilised the opportunity after a recent air show in East London to thumb a lift aboard one of the Russian training jets for research purposes.

According to Franz he and the pilot were on their way to Bloemfontein airport last Saturday when the incident occurred.

"The L29 jet is used as a training aircraft and for this purpose the cabin is divided into two sections.

"The person being trained sits in the front section and the instructor behind him," Franz said.

He told Die Burger that he is writing an article on the L29 and was in the process of meticulously studying the instrument panel while in flight.

"Under the panel is a button to print out the data captured by the various instruments on board.

"However, it is very difficult to see this and to complicate matters the indications for use are in Russian," Franz said.

Next to this button is the button that releases the two fuel tanks and, in the process of trying to get a printout, Franz's finger touched the wrong button.

Luckily the tanks were empty and more luckily they struck the ground in an open field near Smithfield, a Free State hamlet.

"We have now replaced all the buttons in this type of aircraft, made them bigger with protective covers and also translated the instructions into English," Franz said.

He says the incident was immediately reported to the civil aviation authority and is now in the past.

Moses Sehatse, spokesperson for the CAA, said Thursday he was not aware of the incident.

I.R.PIRATE
10th Jun 2005, 09:30
Of course CAA knows nothing about the incident...the know nothing either, about my copy of the same email ive been sending them daily for the last eight days without reply....this regarding a very serious licencing issue......they just know know NOTHING...much easier that way.:confused: :confused: :confused:

B Sousa
10th Jun 2005, 13:58
...."this regarding a very serious licencing issue......they just know know NOTHING...much easier that way. "

Funny thing, last time I was in the CAA office. I watched a guy at the counter facing the (no doubt bullet-proof) glass window. He was really in some ladys face. Seriously pissed off about some CAA screw-up. I was thinking, wow, hes gonna get Sh1t service......
I now understand that Sh1t service is better than none.....

south coast
11th Jun 2005, 10:16
come on then i.r.pirate...

tell us about this serious issue, can we have another laugh at the caa's expense...

BAKELA
11th Jun 2005, 15:10
can we have another laugh at the caa's expenseor...like all other seeming xAA's...at our own expense...? There are several short three letter jokes in SA. They all end with AA.. :{ :{ :8 :E

Also makes me wonder...do pax not get a briefing before flight?

Does a F/O or co-pilot not confirm with the Captain before "an action" is taken in the cockpit?

Or was it a matter of rubik\'s cube...what does this red button actually do?

Three questions the CAA most probably don\'t understand that\'s why they don\'t know NOTHING!

Should buy a farm in the Vrystaat though...always wanted a droppie for my pub! :ok: