PDA

View Full Version : Jump Schools in the UK

Big-Bird
10th Jun 2005, 08:54
I am really interested in helping out as a jump pilot, but so far not having much success.

All the jump centres that I have contacted so far either want previous experience or a minimum of 400hrs TT (mainly for insurance reasons).

Does anyone know of jump schools in the UK that aren’t so stringent?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers
:ok:

BoeingMEL
14th Jun 2005, 09:30
Good luck in your search Big Bird... However, flying for jump-schools is very demanding because there are financial as well as airmanship issues. In particular it is vital to fly accurately - up and down as quickly as possible - whilst still protecting the aircraft from undue wear or damage. Then there's the likelyhood of MTOW departures from grass fields, the need for extreme vigilance looking for other aircraft and falling jumpers plus the likelyhood that no 2 instructors/despatchers will use the same signals on the run-in. Oh, and the club may operate single or twin piston, single or twin turbine. At the very least you may be required to pay for any flight assessment of your abilities.

Speaking personally, and going back almost 30 years, I was already a qualified jumper and helped at the club most weekends for almost 2 years before I was let loose in their C182. At that time I had over 1200 hours including turbine time but it was still a very steep learning curve! Most clubs keep a list of volunteer pilots and it's usually a long one. Understandably they choose candidates who have the most experience but good luck anyway.

Friendly warning: It's hard and often quite thankless work! Don't upset anyone....on my second ever lift the last man out switched off the mags and left with the key!Cheers, bm

Craggenmore
16th Jun 2005, 10:07
My former FI blew his ear drums going up and down all day and had to stop flying for a few weeks!

BoeingMEL - Although we prepare for FLWOP's, knowingly doing what that person did to your a/c borders on attempted man slaughter does it not? Well done for getting down!

:confused: