PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Lecture

Genghis the Engineer
9th Jun 2005, 14:07
From my inbox this morning, to my annoyance I think I'll struggle to make it, but looks well worth attending.

G

http://www.raes.org.uk/raes/images/topbar/bannerlogo2.gif

The Royal Aeronautical Society

has the pleasure of inviting you to attend the following Flight Test Group Evening Lecture

The Development of the English Electric Lightning

by

Jimmy Dell BE EE Chief Test Pilot

Thursday 30 June 2005 at 17.30 for 18.00
Venue: Royal Aeronautical Society

No 4 Hamilton Place, London W1J 7BQ

GUESTS WELCOME

Please RSVP acceptance only

Conference & Events Department

Royal Aeronautical Society

4 Hamilton Place, London, W1J 7BQ, UK

Tel 020 7670 4345 Fax: 020 7670 4349

[email protected]

LECTURE SUMMARY AND SPEAKER BIOGRAPHICAL DETAILS WILL BE POSTED AT WWW.AEROSOCIETY.COM/CONFERENCE AS SOON AS AVAILABLE.

G-KEST
9th Jun 2005, 20:51
Genghis,
The poster thwarted......!!! I have also placed this item on your own Flight Testing forum.
It should really attract a lot of aviation enthusiasts who miss the inimitable sight and sound of the last of the classic British fighters where the pilot, rather than the software, was the deciding factor.
Cheers,
Trapper 69
PS - I well remember the awesome ground shattering din of those stream takeoffs by 74 Squadron at Coltishall back in the early 1960's when the "Tigers" were the RAF's premier aerobatic team.
PPS - This along with some fabulous solo Lightning displays by Ken Goodwin who almost excelled his virtuosity in the Hunter 6 while with CFE at West Raynham.
:) :) :) :cool: :cool: :ok:

treadigraph
28th Jun 2005, 08:48
Just brining this to the top as it's this Thursday - anyone else going?

Anyone for a pint at Shepherds after? CamelPilot?

G-KEST
28th Jun 2005, 09:16
Unfortunately I have to be at Kemble for the PFA FFF'05 event so cannot attend. A real shame as it should be a fine lecture.
Cheers,
Trapper 69
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

treadigraph
28th Jun 2005, 09:40
Sadly I can't make FFF, but will definitely be at the Lightining lecture!

We'll swap notes afterwards!

PPRuNe Pop
28th Jun 2005, 09:56
Much as I would like to go alas I cannot. My grandchildren have first call on me on Thursday - but I shall remember to place in my writings that I gave up a lot for them! ;)

Cornish Jack
28th Jun 2005, 11:40
More or less on topic ... in the mid 60's, Jimmy Dell picked up a Lightning from Valley to take back for a major servicing. The RAF were no longer allowed to do the spectacular rotations of yore but he was ...! Departure, rotate, go near vertical, call the Tower .. " crossing the airfield boundary at FL 260 in the climb" :D ... and the NOISE !!!!!!!!

treadigraph
28th Jun 2005, 16:44
Ah, Pop, I must position to 18nm North of Gatwick soon!

CJ: on topic :ok:

lightningmate
28th Jun 2005, 18:54
Cornish Jack

You have to be dreaming!!

lm

Caractacus
5th Jul 2005, 06:24
And an excellent lecture it was. Jimmy Dell delivered his talk in a most engaging style.

I particularly liked the account of the ejection at 650 kts and 40,000 feet after the fin broke off . . .

The audience were a pretty amazing bunch as well. Couldn't stay for the bar talk but, given the experience level of the guys I bet it was quite an evening.

A great British aeroplane and a great bunch of Brits too !

treadigraph
5th Jul 2005, 07:33
Hear hear, it was a most entertaining talk - shame it had to end quite so quickly!

Jimmy's tale of how he shattered the windows of Farnborough's tower and others in the locale was excellent - if he hasn't gone into print already, he bloody well should.