PDA

View Full Version : Who packs your parachute??

I.R.PIRATE
8th Jun 2005, 16:49
Who packs your parachute?
Charles Plumb was a US Navy jet pilot in Vietnam. After 75 combat missions, his plane was destroyed by a surface to air missile. Plumb ejected and parachuted into enemy hands. He was captured and spent six years in a communist Vietnamese prison. He survived the ordeal and these days’ lectures on lessons learned from his experience.

One day, when Plumb and his wife were sitting in a restaurant, a man at another table came up and said, “You’re Plumb! You flew jet fighters in Vietnam from the aircraft carrier Kitty Hawk and you were shot down.”

“How in the world did you know that?” asked Plumb. “I packed your parachute”, the man replied. Plumb gazed in surprise and gratitude. The man shook his hand and said, “I guess it worked.” Plumb assured him, “It sure did, if your chute had not worked, I would not be here today.”

Plumb could not sleep that night, thinking about that man, “I kept wondering what he looked like in a Navy uniform: a white hat, a bib on the back, and bellbottom trousers. I wonder how many times I might have seen him and not even said “Good morning, how are you?” or anything else because I was a fighter pilot and he was just a sailor.” Plumb thought of the many hours the sailor had spent at a long wooden bench table in the bowels of the ship, carefully weaving the shrouds and folding the silks of each parachute, holding in his hands each time the fate of someone he din not know.

Now, Plumb asks his audience, “Who is packing your parachute?” Everyone has someone who provides what they need to make it through the day. He also points out that he needed many different parachutes when he was shot down over enemy territory – he needed his physical parachute, his mental parachute, his emotional parachute, and his spiritual parachute. He called on all these supports before eventually reaching safety.

Sometimes in the daily challenges that life gives us, we miss what is really important. We may fail to say hello, please or thank you, congratulate someone on something wonderful that has happened to them, give a compliment, or just do something nice for no special reason. As you go through this week, this month, this year please recognise the people who pack your parachutes.

;)

BAKELA
8th Jun 2005, 17:35
Sometimes in the daily challenges that life gives us, we miss what is really important. We may fail to say hello, please or thank you, congratulate someone on something wonderful that has happened to them, give a compliment, or just do something nice for no special reason. As you go through this week, this month, this year please recognise the people who pack your parachutes. This second, minute, hour, day and eventually this life counts towards parachutes. Well said IRP. Who packs your parachute? But then again...not SAA!

Kep Ten Jim
8th Jun 2005, 20:38
Zzzzzzzzz......snuffle snuffle......zzzzzzzzz

saywhat
9th Jun 2005, 10:45
What in Gods name does this thread have to do with SAA. Surely there has to be a slight hint of a connection to go bashing. Perhaps its that the New youk leg was not parachute packed!!

Kopeloi
9th Jun 2005, 12:40
You got it! Treat nicely your packer or you may fall in pieces all over the places...

wheels up
9th Jun 2005, 13:19
Funnily enough I was thinking about this just the other day walking past the airport fire station. Gave the guys a friendly wave as it crossed my mind that I wouldn't like to be trapped in my burning aircraft and hear one of the firemen shout: "Hey look guys, it's that pilot that never greets us!"

SASless
9th Jun 2005, 14:09
"Wave at the marshaller Bloggs! It might be the last time you see him!"

The Claw
9th Jun 2005, 19:30
"What in Gods name does this thread have to do with SAA. Surely there has to be a slight hint of a connection to go bashing. Perhaps its that the New youk leg was not parachute packed!!"

saywhat

Even God would not allow his name to be associated with such a rubbish airline :E

Only bashing....er.....pulling your leg, oh dear I haven't got a leg to stand on.........:E :} :E

I.R.PIRATE
10th Jun 2005, 09:22
I just gotta have such a fat laugh at where this thread has gone.......thanks people.....you help cure my hangover today!!

But, about the fire crew, refuelers, Proper engineers, atc, bagage handlers etc...very true, remember , without them...life is that little bit harder.

Farmer 1
10th Jun 2005, 10:53
A very nice read. Mr Plumb is obviously a very deep thinker.

Even little people are People.

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Jun 2005, 11:29
Mmmmm....

Not so little if they're all that's between you and a load of hurt. Don't see anyone as being any more or less important than anyone else in this business.:ok:

I.R.PIRATE
10th Jun 2005, 13:04
I believe very strongly in showing interest in all the other people who make our jobs possible, not only is there a lot to learn, but the formation of good relationships is also vital for SAFE operations. Remember...in this game Knowledge is power.

Gunship
11th Jun 2005, 21:00
Thanks a lot for this IR P :ok: