PDA

View Full Version : Tell us something you do from which others might learn - Priceless Tips (Merged)

Dantruck
26th Nov 2003, 01:21
A nearby thread speaks of an accident probably caused by a loose harness buckle snagging the cyclic. Where I was taught to fly it was a SOP that all belts should be buckled, whether or not someone was in the seat, and that all headsets not in use should be stowed. The reason, I was told, was the risk of loose objects snagging pedals, collective or, err...the cyclic. The chief pilot was ex-mil, and may well have had Gazelle experience for all I know.

The point is, I've always followed that piece of advice, believing it to be obviously worthwhile.

So, what do you always do that others should always do?

RDRickster
26th Nov 2003, 02:23
Use written checklists, even though you know all inspections / steps by heart... stick with the written plan... by the numbers each and every time.

B Sousa
26th Nov 2003, 05:19
Written Checklists........maybe for complex aircraft. Small stuff its not necessary, unless its your first flight.
FlungDung is right. I force myself to make a last walk around after everything is ready an Im about to get my passengers. Yes, over the years I have found stuff I missed... I have gotten so anal about the walkaround that a couple times Im already in the seat and get out.....In a Helicopter its worth it when you have other folks in and out of the baggage compartment and fueling......
Perfect example was a crew in the Army some years back. We were doing Medevac and had the aircraft set to go, even had the throttle set. First crew got the bell and did the typical full speed to the aircraft, in the seat, hit the stater and watched the strain of the Blade tiedown.....Fortunately they caught it before they got a lightoff.

407 Driver
26th Nov 2003, 06:27
Likewise B, I always do that final trip around the aircraft.

sycamore
26th Nov 2003, 06:36
I think the the lessons are there in the other thread-
Dont park under wires
Do a thorough recce before approach- and if the sun is in your eyes-bog out!
Check your harness , preflight when you do the controls -full/free, and pre-landing--I also had a f/w stude who did a full/free on his downwind checks.... made the heartrate go up a bit!
After t/o always do a spot turn to check yaw control.. and clear behind/above.

Twisted Rigging
26th Nov 2003, 06:54
My favourite is the full and free check of all flight controls before each flight.

I know that this check is instilled into the minds of all new pilots from day one / flight one, however, I am stunned at the amount of times I have been a passenger in an aircraft where this basic check is expected, but not carried out ( in some aircraft, this check cannot be carried out due to hydraulics )

I have had the unfortunate experience of being on scene of an accident where 17 souls were lost on a fixed wing due to a control restriction.

How much effort does this check take?

heedm
26th Nov 2003, 08:28
Cockpit checks. Can't do enough of them. Got caught a few times where SOP doesn't require them, so even when they aren't required I do one or at the very least check the master caution panel, the engines and the Nr.

Matthew.

Fatigue
26th Nov 2003, 08:35
Here's a few things........

when troubleshooting a minor fault, don't forget to fly.

when something goes wrong, don't panic, rely on your training and don't be in a hurry to get to the crash site.

remember that the weather forcast is exactly that, a forcast....

always know where the wind is from and it's strength.

a helicopter broken, sitting on the pad , never killed anyone!

NEVER become complacent.

remember the last time you got away with it was probably the last time you will get away with it!

everybody, no matter how experienced, makes mistakes......

the instinct for self preservation FAR outweighs the opinion of anyone pushing you to fly!

fly safe.

BlenderPilot
26th Nov 2003, 10:14
1.- Always know where the wind is from before you get low and slow

2.- Always check that all your instruments are in the green before you get into that part of the flight where if your engine quits you are gone.

3.- When the wind is strong beware of bystanders as you start and shutdown the engine due to excessive blade flapping.

4.- If your land at a place where there are kids present in the field such as a small village the first thing to do is get out and watch the TR for incoming kids, I land at weird places all the time and kids around here always chase the helicopter right down to the touchdown point and then approach the helicopter no matter if the rotor is turning or not.

5.- When at altitude always think about acft performance, for example, in the Bell 230 if you land at 10:00 AM at your performance limit, and then you plan to depart with the same pax and fuel at 12:00 with 5 degrees C warmer temperature, this slight OAT rise, means 250 pounds less payload, and it can really catch you by surprise if you had good perf. in the morning but now you are rapidly approaching a tree at 100% TQ.

6.- If the aircraft just came out of even the simplest maintenace, never fly it unless you have looked at every remote corner of the aircraft, I just flew a LongRanger from Houston to Mexico City with one of those long 3 D Cell MagLite flashlights in the tali boom which was left in there by the shop in the US, and the way I discovered it was after manuvering to chase some deer in the desert I coud feel one of the pedals getting stuck momentarily during their travel, needlees to say the mechanic got his Maglite back with an interesting note form me.

7.- Also never asume an aircraft will hold proper auto RPM´s, if you are new to the aircraft, and are gonna be flying it, check them!

Steve76
26th Nov 2003, 10:56
1) Amen to walking around the machine and climbing up if necessary to check all hatches and catches.

2) If you take the fuel cap off - put it on your seat. Be religious about this one.

3) Yep - always secure loose seatbelts - good airmanship.

4) Never leave home without your fuel pump and fencing pliers or something to open the damn drum....

5) Always have room on your credit card for a room and a meal.

6) RRPM then Airspeed then Height.

7) If you can; wear a helmet. I have lost 2 good friends to this complacency........and for petes sake! do up the chin strap!!:ugh:

8) A fuel "dipping stick" is about 1 million times more reliable than your guage.

9) Always do a fuel burn check on your machine.

helimatt
26th Nov 2003, 14:22
When landing on rocky or unsteady ground, after shutting down, dont step straight out onto the ground, rather step out onto and stand on the skid. From there you can bend down and check that the other skid is level and stable. Never trust your pax opinion of whether the skid is ok. From there if your satisfied slowly transfer your weight off the skid to the ground. If the machine is unsteady you'll soon know and its no problem to get back in to move it.

Steve's point about putting fuel caps on your seat should be drilled into everyone that hasnt thought of it. It's a perfectly foolproof means of never losing a fuel cap.:ok:

Dantruck
26th Nov 2003, 16:07
Excellent stuff!

Keep 'em coming guys. I'd like to compile a 'Top Ten' and distribute that list among all the low-timers I can find, maybe as a pocket size laminated card.

For this we need the best brains in the biz on the case so, like I said, please keep 'em coming.

I particularly like the 'fuel cap on the seat' trick. So simple! I know more than a few Robo pilots who could benefit from that one.

Dan :ok:

EESDL
26th Nov 2003, 16:21
1. No matter how au-fait with helicopters your pax say they are, always check their belts/doors.
2. Always a final walkround, even a quick glance will suffice (handbag left on skids etc)
3. Quick confirmation of the essentials before pressing that tit (blades 9-3 O'clock for 2-bladed ac)

Like that fuel cap on the seat tip - will certainly adopt that one from now on!!

md 600 driver
26th Nov 2003, 17:13
control your passengers dont let them open or close doors for you if possible put a sign on the door
steve

jellycopter
26th Nov 2003, 19:29
1. On turbines, always check the voltage as you press the tit to start the engine. Easy to stop an expensive over-temp this way.

2. Never believe your fuel gauge without cross-reference to time flown and burn rate.

3. In a single-engined heli, know where the wind is and always route with an autorotation option to somewhere 'suitable'.

4. Always thoroughly brief pax but never trust them to remember any of that briefing!

5. Just before you touch down, glance down and check '3 greens'. (if you've got retracts)

6. Never 'wazz' unless you've thoroughly recce'd the area first (not that 'professional' pilots would ever wazz!!!;) )

7. Beware 'performing' in front of cameras; too many pilots have met their demise for the sake of a good photo.

8. Always set-off to the hangar with 15 minutes to spare and never 15 minutes late!

What Limits
26th Nov 2003, 21:43
1. Always check your holes before flight. One should always be covered with a fuel cap, the others should be open.
2. Check hatches, doors and harnesses before take-off.
3. If in doubt, collide with the sky - it hurts a lot less than colliding with terrain.

Fatigue
26th Nov 2003, 23:03
ummm! thought of a few more.......

always keep positive "G"s on a semi-rigid.

Know what you want to achieve, IF it can be acheived, and then work out the best way to achieve it...

If something does not feel/sound quite right, it probably isn't, go back and re-check.

Make sure that the GPU, although connected and switched on, has actually made contact properly before you press the tit....

Don't be afraid or embarassed to turn back.

Finally,

The worst thing I have ever heard, "Watch This"!!!!!!!

Devil 49
26th Nov 2003, 23:39
Borrowed mottoes-

"If something bad hasn't already happened, it's about to." Thank you, Harry Reasoner.

Even older and I forget what worthy made the statements I'm going to paraphrase-

"Always have a plan"- emphasise, a PLAN, not a wish- for weather, aircraft condition and route changes. Execute it.

"When in doubt, chicken out."

"Always use the long axis of the LZ."

Checklists don't forget. Don't forget your checklist.

All checklists aren't printed.

Final shot- buy a calculator with two memories. Weight and balance is much simpler with one- and if you calculate it you'll know what's happening.

rotorcraig
27th Nov 2003, 03:46
3. Quick confirmation of the essentials before pressing that tit (blades 9-3 O'clock for 2-bladed ac)

During R22 training I wasn't taught this, and it hasn't been mentioned / corrected on subsequent check rides.

A friend who hires from another operator has it on his (their) checklist but couldn't articulate why, I don't have it on mine.

Explanation please?

RC

The Nr Fairy
27th Nov 2003, 04:19
Not often you see it in the UK, but R22s are supplied with blade tie downs. The blades go fore and aft, and the tie downs go to a point between the landing lights and round the tailboom.

If the blades are left and right, then the tiedowns aren't on. And the same logic applies to other 2-bladed types. Dunno about 3 or more blades - never tied one down !

cyclic flare
27th Nov 2003, 06:08
Check the carb heat gauge against the OAT.

This can only be done in the hangar. Sun will effect the OAT

B Sousa
27th Nov 2003, 11:03
Cyclic.......Carb Heat?? They havent had that in real Helicopters in years...............

Jcooper
27th Nov 2003, 12:44
Had a similar experience as the first post...during my Comm checkride a while ago the DPE chopped the throttle in which I did the natural response but I couldnt get the cyclic back far enough to keep the nose up....the cyclic had caught on my knee board which resulted in instant panic....

One thing I always do is run my hand down the side of the fuselage...no real reason for this, just started it when I worked around 737s and it stuck with me, ended up catching my hand on a bad lock for the reverser panel....a little of a good luck pat

James Roc
27th Nov 2003, 13:40
Robbies don't come with lockable fuel caps but for peace of mind use some white tape and tape down both fuel caps when leaving the helicopter out in the open where it's vulnerable so as you can immediatly ascertain whether it's been interfered with. Lockable fuel caps that were designed for the MG Rover fit perfectly but you have to put the originals back on prior to flight otherwise one is not covered by insurance in the unlikely event that a cap comes off!

helimatt
27th Nov 2003, 14:06
Never wear nylon clothing when flying, only natural fibres. In a fire it could be the difference between days in hospital and months. Further to this it's handy to have a serrated edged knife clipped to your belt or on a short lanyard that can be removed and opened with one hand, to cut free from seatbelt/harness webbing if the buckle is damaged in the accident:ok:

Camp Freddie
27th Nov 2003, 15:50
I have a pathologic inabilty to follow good advice, but when I remember my good advice is

1. look at the CWP just before you press the button to check critical items e.g rotor brake is off
2. look at the CWP just before you lift off to check all captions are out, embarrasing if you lift with the SAS off and are then struggling for a few seconds etc.
3. personally check fuel caps.
4. personally check all panels shut and tie downs removed.

I have come close to screwing up with all of these. I think most people have

Bruised Armpit
28th Nov 2003, 00:55
I always make the engineer who did the work come with me on test flights. They always take one last look if they are going too, and if they won't go, I won't go!

Hughes500
28th Nov 2003, 03:29
A few

1. Make sure APU is disconnected before taking off

2. Check cylic frictions are off before pulling pitch

3. Do not let anything interupt you while doing preflight inspection

4. Take your wallet with you

5. Check interior lights work in the daytime, before flying home after a long day and discovering instrument lights are us

6. Phone the refueling stop to make sure : bowser is working, they have fuel, they are not on a 3 hour lunch break ( France ), refueler has not gone home early ( France )

7. A taxi ride home is usually cheaper in bad weather

Crashondeck
28th Nov 2003, 03:56
Here one or two that I use:-

Phone ahead to your destination for information on their arrival procedures.

Always fully brief practice emergencies to students.

And most important:

Check everyone/thing is clear before you hit the starter, check above and behind before departing and always, ALWAYS check where you are about to put your tail rotor

rotorcraig
28th Nov 2003, 04:30
4. Take your wallet with you

Very embarrasing if you forget this on your QXC :O Particularly on your second landing by which time you know you haven't got it and have to feign surprise :ok:

RC

John Galt
28th Nov 2003, 06:26
1/ assume nothing

2/ always do a `walk-around' before t/o

3/ before start, do a `BART' check (B-blade untied,A-area clear,R-rotorbrake stowed,T-throttle is closed

4/ never turn down-wind below 500' agl (some exceptions )

5/ always brief pax even if they are very `frequent flyers'

6/ always obtain wx

7/ always do a pre-flight

8/ never get complacent even when having done the same task repeatedly all day

9/ never land with the tail pointed in the direction of where your pax are about to walk towards

10/always do a pre-take off/landing cx, I use the mnemonic `FISH'
F-fuel=sufficent, floats=armed if required, frictions=off
I-instruments=set/in the green/normal
S- switches= on/normal/part sep on if required,anti-ice=as req.
H-hatches/harnesses secure

Xnr
28th Nov 2003, 12:56
Here are some for EMS ops....

2,3, or 4 are always greater than 1.

Always come home at the end of your shift....thanx WH

Cheers

overpitched
28th Nov 2003, 14:09
When you should check something.. and you hear those little words in your head "she'll be right" .... Make youself check it twice !!.

When you are first walking out to the machine, thats the time to be looking at the wind, feeling the temperature, noticing the obstacles, the way the aircraft is parked, etc. Get ahead of the game before you're on the field and stay ahead.

Whirlybird
28th Nov 2003, 21:36
Always be willing to ask for advice. Suppose you notice something on the "A" check that doesn't look right, and you don't think it's serious but you aren't sure - get some advice. Maybe you ought to know, maybe you think you'll look an idiot for asking, but who cares; it's more important that you get it right.

MD900 Explorer
29th Nov 2003, 00:10
There are some good pneumonics out there for various things, but if you remeber P to the Power of 7 then you won't go wrong, no matter what aircraft you are in:

Proper
Preparation &
Planning
Prevents a
Pretty
Poor
Performance.

Know your aircraft. If you don't....Get to know it. Use a visual reminder in the cockpit if you are long lining like velcro reminders on the instrument panel.

Always know your limitations...better to be safe than dead i say!

MD 900 :ok:

paco
29th Nov 2003, 02:35
Always do a clearing turn and check behind you before taking off.

Phil

Watchoutbelow
29th Nov 2003, 10:04
Always Check skids are clear

Never ever Assume, anything.

If approaching an aircraft with rotors spinning, Duck right down, no matter how short you are.

Be 100% sure you can do a clearing turn safely, sometimes its not an option, but always check above, to the side and behind you.

Do not turn Crosswind below 300 feet after take off.

Again, do not assume just because an area is green it is a safe forced landing area, its impossible to see a 10 degree gradient slope from 1000 feet, and sometimes a forced landing in the rough is better then landing in a watterlogged patch or swamp marsh, familiarise yourself with the terrain en route and how the weather may change it.

Make sure your shoulder harness and seat belt are very securely tightened.

Know your fuel, but do not rely on the fuel gauge, the lower your fuel gets the less reliable it can be on some aircraft.

When planning an approach, plan to go around, unless everything is absoloutely perfect, if not, screw it, go around and do not give it a second thought.

Hedski
29th Nov 2003, 22:18
Always check doors are SECURELY closed, (anyone else had fun with 206 doors from inside?):O

Do a little post-flight, check the place with noisy bits isn't covered in dark messy stuff!

I'm a big advocate of using checklists, regardless of time/experience.

Remember, if it's going to go wrong, it will........at the worst time in the worst place. Sods law!

Stay over the green bits in SE heli's, don't fixate on your landing site, keep your scan going (instruments/lookout).

Most accident reports I've read are due to cumulative factors, not just one!

That little walkaround already mentioned has saved many lives, the one thing everyone should come away with from this thread me thinks! :ok:

Best thread I've seen so far, go forth and circulate the knowledge! :cool:

IHL
30th Nov 2003, 11:18
Steve I got to question:
"2) If you take the fuel cap off - put it on your seat. Be religious about this one."

Fuel caps are suppose to have a landyard on them and therefore unless the landyard is extremely long it would be difficult to put on your seat.

I always check NOTAMs, (if available at destination).

ShyTorque
30th Nov 2003, 16:25
Leave all your non-flying related problems on the ground. There's enough to worry about up there already. :ok:

Aesir
30th Nov 2003, 18:23
To IHL. I think I heard somewhere that the fuel cap chain on the R-22 has been remowed on newer models, probably a R-22 pilot out there can inform us.

I think its really great advice to put the fuel cap on the seat or inside when refuelling, although I do think that it could leave a some JET-A smell in the air. But better some smell than no fuel cap.

I personally when I refuel myself, will never walk away with the hose unless installing the cap first, if somebody else refuels I will take a look at the cap in the walkaround. But during hot refuelling thats not an option and sometimes it happens that the cap is not on, luckily on the 222 the cap is on a hinge and the airflow will keep it semi closed.

If flying the B206 or H-300 with the cap hanging in the wire or chain you´re in for a very expensive paintjob! Luckily in those aircraft you can see the cap from the pilots seat.

Crashondeck
30th Nov 2003, 20:24
LOOKOUT!

Too many pilots (of all types) out there do not keep a good lookout - SEE and AVOID - that applies to other a/c, wires, the ground etc.

Set your GPS up before you start - dont catch yourself spending too much time with eyes inside.

soggyboxers
30th Nov 2003, 20:50
ALWAYS be aware that there is ALWAYS more to learn than you think you already know.

Bladestrike
1st Dec 2003, 03:07
You know that feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when you realize you've made a bad decision, which causes indigestion afterwards?

......you're not completely sure about the clearance your tail/main rotor has, you're not quite sure she'll stop going down when you get in your ground cushion, you're not quite sure your alternate will follow the forecast, you're not quite sure about the wind and your fuel situation, you're not quite sure about that slope, you're not quite sure how much snow will blow up, you're not quite sure how much ice you'll pick up going up through that layer, you're not quite sure just how low the vis will go.......

I review every decision I make to make sure there's no potential
for a situation that would induce that stress.

rotorcraig
1st Dec 2003, 03:08
I think I heard somewhere that the fuel cap chain on the R-22 has been remowed on newer models, probably a R-22 pilot out there can inform us.

Yes, they have. My instructor explained that when people forgot to refit them after fueling, the fuel cap would flap about on the chain during flight for a bit.

When the chain finally wore through, the cap would head off backwards in the direction of the tail rotor :eek:

His advice was as posted above ... place the fuel cap on the Right Hand Seat whilst fuelling.

RC

thechopper
1st Dec 2003, 04:17
Never trust anyone who says "once we make a profit your salary will improve". Been there for 30 years;it never happened.:yuk:

PPRUNE FAN#1
1st Dec 2003, 05:16
I know that some of you may consider me nothing more than the south end of a northbound horse, but I like to think that I haven't made it to this stage of the career on sheer luck alone. I've read a lot of good and useful tips in this thread and have been wracking my brain to come up with the one "gem" that has seen me through the years. Finally, it hit me.

Whenever I fly, I keep in the back of my mind a simple little question: "How will this look in the report if something happened right now?" The crux of it is: Can I justify what I'm doing as safe and responsible, not careless and reckless?

It doesn't necessarily have to be an accident, although "How would the accident report read?" is usually foremost on my mind. But there is also, "How would the report read if an FAA guy saw me right now?" Or alternatively, "How would the newspaper article read if someone on the ground thought I was doing something wrong, got a picture of it and sent it in to the local paper?"

I've done some...er, naughty "stuff" in the past - in the past before I started asking myself that question. Photography stuff...video/film stuff, ENG stuff. When I first started flying commercially, I had one-tenth the amount of time I have now, but though I was a pretty hot stick. If only I was as good now as I thought I was back then!

A looooooong time ago I flying a piston-engine ship with a photographer who needed one particular low-level, hovering shot of a well-known tourist site. The ship was nice and smooth in forward flight, but it had a pretty nice bounce in an OGE hover. Playing the rpm, I got it down to about 2700 where it smoothed out and the photog could get his shot. I was very young and very stupid. In retrospect I think about it: 300 foot hover, rpm way out of the green on the low side. If the engine had quit we would've made a nice, very public splat. Had I merely thought about how the accident and newspaper reports would read, I never would have done it.

So that's my advice. Any time you find yourself getting into one of "those" situations, simply ask yourself how the report will read. I guarantee that it'll change your flying. It's probably what's gotten me through the last ten years.

Dantruck
1st Dec 2003, 14:34
Very good soggy...

...That's the sort of thing.

Plenty of other very good contributions above too, so please keep 'em coming. In a few days I'll pull together what I think are the Top Ten and post them as a list. I'll also email the list as a Word document to anyone who wants to make up their own 'checklist' to hand out to whoever. Just send me a PM

All contributions to make the list will be attributed, so someone nudge that Lappos bloke, plus anyone else you think might have a real nugget of wisdom to share.

Dan :ok:

Whirlybird
1st Dec 2003, 16:12
PPRUNE FAN,

Whenever I fly, I keep in the back of my mind a simple little question: "How will this look in the report if something happened right now?" The crux of it is: Can I justify what I'm doing as safe and responsible, not careless and reckless?

I was told that by a f/w instructor way back, and it's probably the most useful thing anyone ever told me. The best piece of advice in the most useful thread Rotorheads has ever had, IMHO. :ok:

Dantruck
1st Dec 2003, 18:08
Earlier, Mr Dung suggested 'always read accident reports,' or words to that effect.

Imagine my surprise - or should that be lack of it? - when I read the following in a UK Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) report on a Gazelle published Febuary 2003.

"The pilot reported that the quick release box on his 5-point harness may have obstructed full rearward movement of the cyclic control."

Scary, eh?

Once again...patently good advice flungdung

Keep 'em coming boys and girls! :ok:

Head Turner
1st Dec 2003, 22:15
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is;-

When dropping off or picking up passengers always point the front of the helicopter in the direction that ignorant passengers are going to walk. Towards their car, the hole in the fence, the door of their house, just wherever they are coming from or going to on foot.
Because if you are picking up those ignorant blighters they will approach the helicopter before the blades have stopped turning, and sure will try and leave before you have had time to shut down and stop the blades. Even after a full briefing and subsequent reminders over the intercom.

Remember this;=

Information given to passengers on briefing is blown away when the blades start to turn!

True/False

IHL
1st Dec 2003, 22:43
To Aesir:

An interesting observation I've made with Jet-Rangers equipped with range extenders.

If you take-off with the fuel cap off, your fuel gauge will indicate higher. The aircraft velocity causes a low pressure on the side of the fueslage which " sucks up" the fuel blader, causing the gauge to read higher.

In my experience ( doh)I took off with 60 gallons and as I got flying speed the gauge went to 75 gallons, I looked back and the cap was OFF.. It has happened to other pilots I worked with as well.

Lowlevldevl
2nd Dec 2003, 10:34
If I had to pick the one 'habit' I have that I believe has kept me alive in 20 years in the low level environment, both fixed-wing agricultural and helicopter mustering and more recently helicopter fire-suppression, its this.

Be paranoid about wires.

My dad was an ag-pilot and when we were kids and in the car on drives I would notice him looking at wires, powerlines and so on as we were driving. Asking him about it he said that he liked to study the wires around the districts where he worked because he would remember them later on when he was working. I have even seen him 'duck' in some alarm as we drove under one he hadn't seen until we got right up close to it. Studying them from the ground gives a much better idea of how they are designed and where the actual wires run depending on the layout of the insulators. Know your enemy!

When I was doing my fixed-wing ag rating years later I noticed my instructor starting to fidget uncomfortably as I flew between 2 hills. There were no wires there, that was obvious in that situation but that still didn't stop his life saving instincts from making him nervous. I had already been mustering for a season before that incident and I realised that despite having thought I was 'trained' not to hit wires in a helicopter, the level of attention the F/W ag guys give to them is a way lot more than most helicopter pilots do even though the helicopter in many of its working environments is just as vulnerable as the F/W crop-dusters.

I ALWAYS make sure I ask myself where the wires are before I descend (or climb) anywhere it would be humanly possible to build one. If I don't know the answer I make sure I look first.

If I'm working around wires by necessity, I prioritize them at the top of every other task. If this means locating the wires between every other visual task, ie; checking gauges, working the cattle/ longline/ bambii/ spraybar/ GPS in the same way that the AH is the pivotal instrument in an instrument scan, then thats what I do.

Hopefully, this has developed into an instinct for me.
As far as remembering to secure your fuel caps, I've probably forgotten that a hundred times. In the aircraft I've flown that was never going to kill me or anybody else. But hit just one wire and you have a better than even chance of ending up dead.
All of these other tips are great and there are a few of them in this thread that I'm going to try to work into my day to day flying routine, but if that ever means mental overload to the point that my wires instinct might be forgotten, they'll be going first.

Hedski
19th Mar 2004, 11:39
Thought I'd bring this oldie back to the top. Just received my Feb/March copy of Vertical in the post. Paco's "From Where I Sit" on page 6 brings the knowledge to the masses in printed form. Top man Paco! :ok:

Don't suppose anyone can add any more? :cool:

ground effect
19th Mar 2004, 12:09
Cannot lay claim to the following, it was passed on to me by a friend who has done many hours utility work in remote locations. You may have seen it already but here it is

READ THIS - ALMOST ANYONE CAN BE TAUGHT TO FLY BUT NOT EVERYONE CAN BE TAUGHT TO FULLY COMPREHEND AND ABIDE BY THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF PILOT IN COMMAND

RULES OF FLIGHT
1.Fly the aircraft
2.Never fix your vision, keep moving your head
3.Everyone is trying to kill you
4.You only have too much fuel if you are on fire
5.Better to destroy an engine than a ship
6.Don`t mess with the weather
7.Don`t rely on any survival gear not worn on you
8.There is no place for rush in helicopter ops
9.Leave yourself an escape route
10.Airspeed is one of our best allies
11.Display self discipline
12.Know the limits of you and your ship, stick to them
13.Never skip on daily inspections
14.The job will be there tomorrow make sure you are

vaqueroaero
19th Mar 2004, 14:39
When giving instruction to folks whose first language is not English: If you ask them a question and they reply in their own tongue, or talk to you in their own tongue they do NOT fully understand and are more than likely getting stressed. The closest I have ever come to an accident was teaching engine failures in a hover to an Italian guy. How I never wrecked that aircraft I still don't know.

This happened the other day, and I know it has already been covered:
Fuel guy has gone home, I'm a bit tired and want to get on. Refuel the R22 myself, park the truck, student fires up and away we go. Take off, left 270 turn, cross the runway mid-field at 800 msl, right 270 descent to the pad. Do some hover work and a couple of patterns.
Hello, why is there a fuel cap on the ground?!
There but for the grace of God go I ...............

Delta Julliet Golf
19th Mar 2004, 18:23
In case of trouble or mind overload remember :

1) Aviate (Fly the aircraft, analyse situation, take action)
2) Navigate
3) Communicate

+ Don't think 5 steps ahead, maximum 2 (Helps to keep your priorities straight)

DJG

DeltaNg
19th Mar 2004, 23:12
I always make sure I have a good slash before a flight.

What-ho Squiffy!
20th Mar 2004, 05:01
A fair while ago I began saying to myself:

"...You could die doing this stuff..."

just before I put my helmet on.

Not being paranoid, it just helps focus on the realities of life as a helicopter pilot.

the wizard of auz
20th Mar 2004, 09:15
I fly almost every day, and on occasion, have caught myself getting complacent. Because I am the only one flying the two aircraft I operate, i some times get caught out. I have managed to taxi to the take off possition and then run out of fuel, because I normally leave the fuel cock in the both/on position, but have on occasion turned it off to stop fuel draining from one tank to another on uneven ground. If for any reason I do some thing out of the ordinary, like turn the fuel off overnight, I now leave the keys of the aircraft on the fuel cock to remind me something is different.

RW-1
21st Mar 2004, 15:07

I can go even farther than this. The one piece of advice I received from my DPE was this:

"There are only TWO things that you can control in your professional pilot career, your integrity and your reputation".

The above ties right into it.

- Never let my first paragraph interfere in your making a "confession" if you have placed yourself into a bad position in flight, on the ground, etc.

Too many good people have died just due to vanity and not speaking up, asking for help when needed, etc.

- Have a plan for ______ (insert stuff here), but more importantly, stick to it!

- In God I may trust, but everything else I CHECK.

All the rest that I can think of have already been brought up by other members here, a wonderful thread.

flygunz
21st Mar 2004, 20:19
1. Your first instinct is normally correct.
2. Never pass Gas.
3. If in doubt then there's no doubt.
4. Check the Met.
5. Never trust anyone elses planning.
6. Do your own pre flight and walk round.
7. Always expect the unexpected.

and finally...... remember that experience is something you get just after you needed it most!

and another thing... there are no stupid questions!

For SE helis

1. The wind will bite your ass if you forget about it.
2. Always have somewhere to go if the donkey stops.

:ok:

Bomber ARIS
21st Mar 2004, 20:26
I believe that the wind that doth bite one´s arse
cares not for the number of engines.......... :hmm:

Bladerunner
21st Mar 2004, 23:33
Always remember when you're PIC you're the BOSS

Not sales

Not ops

Not engineering

Not the client

Not the Chief pilot

You.:ok:

SASless
23rd Mar 2004, 00:10
"Limitations" are for "Normal" situations.

Tea too hot to hold...Tea too hot to drink.

Never squat with yer spurs on!:ok:

Always use the single dissenting vote rule...anyone can holler whoa!

rotorusa
23rd Mar 2004, 00:41
I always try to stay upwind of hazards such as towers and wires, and inhospitable terrain such as forests. That way, if I my engine quits and I have to autorotate, my turn into the wind will automatically lead me away from those obstacles. Nifty, eh?

Steve76
23rd Mar 2004, 03:41
Hey Wiz,
Aren't they zip tied on? ;)
I reckon I have a helmet for you. Will contact you in next couple of weeks. Please excuse the delay. Also saw NAH engineer at HAI....!!!!!! I was stunned :bored: Seems like a good bloke.

On the subject of lessons learned.
Glen Hemepo taught me a valuable lesson. If you can and there is little reason not too - WEAR A HELMET!

Glen is no longer here and the only mark on him was an impact to the temple. Sad for everyone including his fiance due to be wed two weeks from the accident.

Think about it.

If you survive you might end up a vegetable or worse. See it everyday in the EMS scene as a result of car accidents.

the wizard of auz
23rd Mar 2004, 04:04
Hey Steve, I wondered what happened to you.
I was refering to FW aircraft with the fuel cock bizo. Couln't see why it wouldn't work with any other type of machine though.
Where is HAI?

Darren999
23rd Mar 2004, 11:21
Hi all,
One of the best threads I have read. I have learn't a considerable amount from this being new to instructing, there's lots to pass on here. I have this tendency 'not to fly over anything I can't land on' only becuase I fly piston helicopters, but people in single engine tubines do also, that was nice to see, just thought I was paranoid

Also I was shown by A DPE that in an Autorotation if you are short on RPM's try and turn to the left and right on the way down, this does help increase RPM's. I fly a Bell 47 and it works!! Any other advice on matters similar to this would be appricated, and remember keep the blades turning!!

Keep up the good thread,

Darren

Red Wine
23rd Mar 2004, 12:35
Always do your inspections with a rag in one hand and a good torch in the other. Surprising what you can see when you clean as you go.

Use your helmet…..and never eat yellow snow..

sandy helmet
23rd Mar 2004, 13:08
ALWAYS do a recce to make sure that your last landing site has cold beer waiting!!!!

Randy_g
23rd Mar 2004, 20:24
Hey Steve, you phoned Laura yet ?? I heard there is an opening. ;) :O

When making your approach, and there are other heli's on the ground, check for cowlings on the ground, or pilot's running to tie their blades down. If you see cowlings, untied blades, etc go-around, and give the AME/pilot time to secure the stuff. You'll make a new friend if you don't blow their cowlings across the tarmac. :ok:

When on a cross-country, and I'm flying close to a place with fuel, I always ask myself if I can gaurantee that I'll make my destination. If I have to think about it, then I land and get fuel, then I know I'll make it.

Transient power limits are emergency landing limits, not extra take-off power.

When departing, avoid flying directly over another helicopter, plane, or building.

Realise that even an R-22 puts out a decent amount of downwash. Be aware of what your downwash is doing, and where it is going.

Cheers

Lu Zuckerman
23rd Mar 2004, 21:24
Never assume that a job is done correctly or, that it was even done at all when you tell someone to do it. Always check or, do it your self.

Never let the operator of a fuel truck walk away when the pump is running wide open. This is especially true when you are topping off a 40-gallon tank.

Never assume the control valves on the fuel system are in the correct position even if you placed them in the correct position. This is especially true when you are removing a fuel filter and there is an ass@@@@ on your crew.

Never fly with a drunken pilot. This is especially true when he sobers up halfway through the flight and you have to fly the airplane and you are not a rated pilot.

Always make it a point to breathe a little each day.

:E :E

ProfessorFate
23rd Mar 2004, 22:07
Watch the fuel guy do the fuel thing. I have kept ice out of my tanks this way.

Check the caps after the fuel guy is done. He may think he put it back on correctly, but...

Make sure the annunciator panel is set for day if you're flying in the daytime - warning lights are no good if you can't see them.

Have a timer set up as a backup fuel gauge, or note your burnout time somewhere.

Make NO turns between takeoff and 300 AGL.

Put your finger on the switch, look at the gauge that will twitch when you flip the switch - then see if it does.

Make sure someone on the ground knows where you are and where you're going.

S76Heavy
24th Mar 2004, 08:35
Multi crew ops: If something is important enough to think about, it is important enough to talk about.

The Nr Fairy
26th Mar 2004, 17:43
Don't rush, and resist pressure from others to rush you - even if it's "perceived".

Post-flight self-debrief reinforced that one today, as did the wires between trees spotted on lifting which I'd not noticed when landing cos I rushed the site recce before setting down.

Per Ordure Ad Asti
28th Mar 2004, 01:00
Never trust GPS blindly, even when it claims to know exactly where it is. The fact that it puts numbers, and usually very small ones, on the estimated error leads far too many people to believe the kit implicitly, without checking it against another navaid. I have used a GPS that told me with 30m accuracy that I was in West Virginia when I was actually in Europe. While the system has the potential to be extremely precise, in practice it is only as good as the people who made it and the person using it. There are lots of things that can go with it that can put you miles off track:

The almanac could be corrupt.
The mathematical model could have errors.
The selected grid referencing system could be different to the map.
You could have mis-plotted the grid.
You could have mis-typed the grid into the kit.

With any of these errors the kit will claim that you are exactly on track when you could, in fact, be anywhere. Personally I never fly without an up-to-date map and a stopwatch. I also always try to use something as a gross error check when start off on a new heading. The sun is very useful for this when it's out.

heedm
28th Mar 2004, 02:42
To add to Per Ordure's GPS comments, even when it is working precisely, continue to use a map the 'old' way.

I pulled a couple guys off the side of a big mountain. It was easy to find them because they filed direct, so our initial track is direct. We found them within 50m of track. The crash was a typical terrain outclimbing the airplane incident. Interesting thing is that if they looked at the map they would have noticed that the low level route was less than 4nm longer than the direct route, probably faster when you take into account the time to climb.

They followed the GPS and not the map. That's the first error that led to a near fatal crash.

Dantruck
26th Jan 2005, 05:54
Given recent postings reference weather and, specifically, when not to fly, it is perhaps a good time to reserect this thread. This is arguably also a good place to express our concerns on the standard of weather decision making, in the UK and elsewhere.

So...tell us one thing about WEATHER PLANNING you always do, and from which others might learn.

Dan

pohm1
26th Jan 2005, 07:46
If you look at the weather and wonder if you should go, you shouldn't.

Homer_Jay
26th Jan 2005, 08:59
After the sortie brief, keep all the time available for you and your flight. No phone calls, emails, meetings..nothing. If you are ready early go early or brew up.

Always conduct/supervise the refuel of your aircraft or have a member of your flight crew do it.

Always conduct the pre flight yourself or have a member of your flight crew do it. (Yes I have seen senior folk fly aircraft they bullied junior folk into pre flighting for them. Fools!).

When you are within sight of your aircraft on the way to fly it, conciously put all non aviation thoughts (wives, girlfriends, finances) out of mind. If you can't don't go.

Place anything you are supposed to wear, life preserver etc on your seat.

If you are an instructor, always do the first auto yourself to assess the conditions.

Identify large features on the map when following the GPS, it will be easier to figure out where you are when it fails.

Plan an extra 10 minutes fuel reserve for Mum and the kids.

victor two
26th Jan 2005, 09:26
This is a pretty simple one but works for me. After each first preflight of the day after you have drained your fuel and untied all the bits and pieces, I always walk about ten metres away from the aircraft and just run my eyes fully over it again from bit of a distance. Sometimes the big picture view from a bit farther back highlights something small that you overlooked when it was right under your nose.

Give it a try.

SASless
26th Jan 2005, 12:17
Victor Two

I always without fail....never do I get into an aircraft with the intent of starting engine(s) do I not walk slowly and carefully around the thing....all the way around....looking at access panels...latches...vents....pitots...air inlets...exhausts....even to the point of pointing a finger at the possible offending item. On Bell aircraft I do that with the tie down in my grubby mitt.

Two bladed heads.....3 and 9 o'clock for start every single time....and physical confirmation that the tie down is beside the seat. Don't do this....and one day...you will attempt to start that rascal with the blade tied down......trust me!:E

Fun Police
26th Jan 2005, 12:22
when doing a walk around (before every flight) include the hook to see whether the longline was left on after the last flight, and when taking off go vertical for a few feet (10-12) and check the hook in the mirror again.
fly safe everyone.

oldbeefer
26th Jan 2005, 13:52
1. ALWAYS do an airspeed/groundspeed comparison during an approach. Will save your arse oneday when you get the wind wrong.

2. ALWAYS check ROD as the IAS goes through 30kts.

3. If 1. or 2. applies, NEVER be too proud to overshoot.

4. When it all turns to worms, DON'T press on - LAND on!

All the above have saved my bacon during the last 35 years!

Haggis Hunter
26th Jan 2005, 15:47
Cracking thread guys,

I have learnt alot reading through the past six pages... a few things that I do myself:

Before hitting the go-go button I think of TITS

Tie-downs - OFF/BLADES 3/9 O'CLOCK
Instruments - IN GREEN/READINGS CORRECT
Temps/Throttle - ENGINE/OAT (then check your proformance limits) THROTTLE CLOSED
Safety - HARNESESS/DOORS/BLADES CLEAR

(also stick my head out the door and have a glance at the T/R...)

When flying over water, I put a hi-vis vest on then my lifejacket on top, makes getting found a bit easier when bobbing up and down in the water! Always take an ELT if the a/c doesnt have one!

As mentioned before, stand back and have a general look at the machine and that cowl door you left open!

Safe flying guys, HH
:cool:

victor two
27th Jan 2005, 06:22
Sasless,

The guy that tipped me off about walking away a bit for another look was a fixed wing pilot who once completed a full detailed walk around on a cabin size piston twin, all was good, walked to the nose, away ten steps and again looked her over from wingtip to wingtip and noticed that there was a non symmetrical flap condition between the wings. The flaps on one side had locked in place in about the take off postion and the other side were somehow retracted normally. Would have pretty been nasty after take off when he went to reel in the extended flap I would think.

The problem was not obvious from up close but was pretty evident from the front on view. It only takes a few extra seconds.

cheers

Vic

Talk Turn
27th Jan 2005, 06:46
Haggis Hunter
(caught one yet?)
Maybe your second T in TITS could stand for Throttle as well.

Wildwilly
27th Jan 2005, 08:42
If you can't see the forest for the trees, you're too low - with nowhere to go.

Always LOOK in the direction of the turn you are making - I get nervous flying with pilots who never move their head...

Agree with 'Victor Two' - stand back from your heli and have a good look - not just at the heli but also at the bigger picture and assess things like - wind, general weather, rubbish, obstacles, people, wires etc etc prior to getting in the machine

If you have to run, it should only be to get away from your ex...never run near a heli.

When landing and your skids are on the ground but RRPM is still high - you're still flying :8

Haggis Hunter
27th Jan 2005, 12:36
Talk Turn,

I do Throttle aswell, just forgot to add it in, thanks for the reminder! HH:cool:

SASless
27th Jan 2005, 13:00
Most importantly....

Absolutely never, never, never, go to Bahrain with an Aussie Short Drink of Water from Saudi!

You will be the worse for it!:{

warpig
27th Jan 2005, 15:18
never bring anything into the cockpit mentally that doesnt belong there. i.e. a girl or wife issue, anything that will distract you. ive learned this the hard way. :yuk:

Haggis Hunter
27th Jan 2005, 16:02
don't use chinograph pencils when it's hot! HH:cool:

Jack Carson
27th Jan 2005, 17:04
Always strap in, even if it is just a ground run. Once the rotor is turning you are at the mercy of alot of energy.:ok:

Lu Zuckerman
27th Jan 2005, 19:23
Always check fuel on board no matter what the check sign off sheet says and no matter what the mechanic says. I was the mechanic and had serviced the helicopter the night before. The helicopter was left on the pad in front of the hangar for an early morning SAR. During the night base personnel drained the tanks and the fuel was put into their cars. The FBI arrested them. The helicopter flew for about ten miles and autorotated into an open field.

:ouch: :ouch:

Sabre Zero 1
20th May 2005, 16:07
Whenever I meet another helicopter pilot, I quite often ask if they have any 'golden tips' for safe flying/good flying. This usually leads to a long discussion involving stories of close shaves and lucky escapes, and I always come away having learned something valuable - lets face it, no-one will ever live long enough to make, and learn from, all the mistakes it is possible to make in a helicopter!

So I thought it would be a good idea if people out there in 'prune land' could share some of the experiences they have learned from....:ok:

pilotwolf
20th May 2005, 16:37
Unfortunately probably not! Too many others with keyboards poised to 'attack'!

PW

Ed Winchester
20th May 2005, 22:54
Well, there is a mass of good advice in this old thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110150) for starters.

Enjoy.

Capt Hollywood
21st May 2005, 02:28
A fan of the Fast Show are we Ed!

SASless
21st May 2005, 04:48
Never squat with yer spurs on!

Sabre Zero 1
21st May 2005, 07:32
Don't eat yellow snow!:yuk:

Lightning_Boy
21st May 2005, 17:46
Never P*ss into the wind

Stringfellow Dork
21st May 2005, 18:43
Never wipe your a*se with a broken bottle.

IHL
21st May 2005, 19:03
Pilotwolf : great perception

So far the posts given are technically correct but of absolutely NO practical value.

Tip : don't post a thread like this on pprune and expect to get useable responses.

Sabre Zero 1
21st May 2005, 20:01
IHL

Tip noted and understood!

Come on guys, can we have some really useful tips please, if you think about it, your tip could very well save someones life!:ok:

flyer43
21st May 2005, 20:15
- Always RTFM....!!

- Never believe you know it all! No matter how easy it all appears to get with time, there is always much, much more to learn, and always more practise required to keep on top.

Revolutionary
22nd May 2005, 18:36
Helicopter related:

Always keep the pointy end facing forward as much as possible.

IHL
22nd May 2005, 23:52
Keep the NR in the Green; TOO little or TOO much are equally deadly!

John Eacott
23rd May 2005, 00:08
ARIA from Malarky Jim:

Point the way you're going, and go the way you're pointing ;)

The only time that you have too much fuel, is when you're on fire.

RRPM is life.

sandy helmet
23rd May 2005, 01:35
RRPM is life.

So is beer

havoc
23rd May 2005, 02:29
your only good as your as your last flight.

overpitched
23rd May 2005, 05:46
Don't get caught

ShyTorque
23rd May 2005, 07:13
If in doubt, chicken out. :hmm:

HOGE
23rd May 2005, 11:49
If it flies, floats or f**ks, rent it, don't buy it!

Thud_and_Blunder
23rd May 2005, 13:25
When In Danger
When In Doubt
Run In Circles,
Scream and Shout

Grainger
23rd May 2005, 13:58
OK, I'm usually the flippant one around here, but here's some serious ones for a change:

1. Never assume anything.

2. If you're not sure what just happened - stop and check !

3. When the weather turns to cr*p - land or turn back while you still have the chance. If you've been worrying about it for 30 seconds, that's long enough.

Nellis
23rd May 2005, 15:47
Don't flare too low cock- you will see your arse.

Apologies to George the greatest maker of a cup of "S**t!". By the way, does anyone know if he is still alive?

SASless
24th May 2005, 04:27
Treat every flight like it was your final one....one day it will be. Hopefully, you will know it before the takeoff .

Sabre Zero 1
24th May 2005, 15:01
One piece of advice given to me that has saved my skin: Always have a planned escape route!;)

(credits go to a very experienced RAF Chinook pilot for that one:ok: )

Head Turner
24th May 2005, 16:09
Don't marry a woman - they are always a pain in the back side.
Don't marry a man - they have the same problem.
Marry one of the others!

Steve76
24th May 2005, 16:14
If you plant a $hit seed you get a $hit weed.

Get it in writing, never trust the employers word.

Wear a rubber.

Hughesy
24th May 2005, 22:12
If it doesn't feel right, then it isn't. (helicopter related)
Keep your RRPM, Height and Speed accounts as full as possible.
Always know where the wind is, and where you would go if you have to.
Hughesy.

SHortshaft
25th May 2005, 01:07
If you stand with your back to the wind in the Northern Hemisphere the wind blows up you a*se!

Heli-Ice
25th May 2005, 01:13
Don't s**t where you eat!

SASless
25th May 2005, 01:15
When in the Philippines drinking San Miguel beer with your Philippino friends and hearing the cry of "Ballut! Ballut!" coming down the street.....LEG IT! QUICKLY!

Gus T Breeze
25th May 2005, 07:32
A couple of tips that I was told very early on went as follows:

"Always watch thy RRPM, lest the ground come up and smite thee!"

"It's one thing being on the ground wishing you were in the air, but it's a completely different story being in the air and wishing you were on the ground"

They're both just as valid now as they ever were.

ConwayB
25th May 2005, 10:07
Hi All,

I've seen the previous thread on this subject and think it's fantastic.

For what it's worth, here are my 'tips for young shaggers...'

1. Very few emergencies require the aircraft to be thrown at the ground. If an emergency occurs, check your rotor speed and do what's necessary to keep it in the green. Slow to VminD (especially applicable in twin engined aircraft) or best auto speed and take a deep breath and carry out checklist actions.

2. There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid mistakes.

3. Do as much briefing (of passengers, instructors on check rides, other crew) before you get to the aircraft (in the classroom, clubhouse, hangar, etc)... then fill in the gaps/review at the aircraft. This includes emergency procedures that may be applicable.

4. When bad weather threatens en route, look ahead to the last safe point of VFR flight and tell yourself, 'at that point I will (a) change category to IFR or (b) turn around or (c) land.

If you decide on a or b, then use the time it takes to get to that decision point to make your plan to climb to an IFR level or LSALT or turn around and climb/descend to an applicable VFR level. When you get to that point, STICK TO YOUR PLAN and don't push it. Tell ATC as early as possible of your intentions so it doesn't come as a surprise to them when you amend your plan and that allows them time to give you traffic for climb/descent.

Safe flying!

Winnie
25th May 2005, 12:30
Don't forget the 7 P's of planning

and the 5 C's for being lost!

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance

and

Circle Climb Communicate Confess Comply!

sandy helmet
25th May 2005, 12:57
Hey SASless......don't leg it

Just.......DUCK!!!!;)

not my shout again
25th May 2005, 13:51
If its raining, take your umbrella.

Letsby Avenue
25th May 2005, 17:03
Indecision is the key to flexibility...

SASless
25th May 2005, 18:24
Butt, Tin, Ticket....in that order of preservation.

morris1
25th May 2005, 20:31
Its always better to die (just like my father did) in your sleep.
Than screeming in horror as his passengers did..

Darren999
26th May 2005, 00:18
If you can keep your head, when all about you are losing thiers.... you don't fully understand the situation!

EMS R22
26th May 2005, 02:42
I was told a good pax briefing once,Burns,Barks,Bites and dont touch the f:mad: g Doors!

ConwayB
26th May 2005, 09:12
Winnie,

I've never heard of the 5 Cs. Love 'em!

SASless,

Excuse my ignorance... but could you elaborate on that one?
Butt, Tin, TIcket? Sounds interesting... but I don't get it.

CB

Another St Ivian
26th May 2005, 09:50
Save yourself, then the aircraft and finally your license in that order.

ASI

ground effect
26th May 2005, 13:03
be nice to your mother
eat your vegetables
dont kick dogs

:)

SASless
26th May 2005, 14:42
Conway....

I consider helicopters to be re-usable containers of humans.....they are there to protect and transport the contents. If they become scrap while doing that....then that is a cost of doing business. In an emergency....the very least of my worries is what "They" think about my actions.

As was explained by "Another"....I see the priority sequence as being save yourself...then the aircraft....and worry about the ramifications later. I will use up the aircraft in reducing the damage to the occupants if it comes to that.

Sabre Zero 1
26th May 2005, 15:02
Does anyone have an account of either a tail rotor failure or a serious vortex ring incident (or anything else interesting)?

I'm aware of the procedures to deal with both but thought it would be interesting to hear how people cope in reality!

What Limits
27th May 2005, 18:13
Tips

Fly the aircraft from when you sign for it until you sign it back in.

No aircraft has accurate fuel gauges until they read zero.

jbrereton
27th May 2005, 19:15
If there is any doubt there is no doubt.

Jon

TIMTS
27th May 2005, 22:09
As for the "keep the pointy end facing forward" statement.....on most helicopters the pointy end should face backwards....

And to qoute a great man..."Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer J Simpson

flipcelia
27th May 2005, 22:20
Accidents due to bad weather are usally investigated the next day in fine weather!

Flip

Hughesy
28th May 2005, 03:43
Excuse me SASless, but I was curious what "Ballut! Ballut!" means?

Cheers Hughesy :D

cyclicmicky
28th May 2005, 10:39
Don't step off a moving bus!

SASless
28th May 2005, 12:49
Years ago while doing anti-narcotics operations in Subic Bay, The Philippines....spent a lot of time with our local counterparts. Pre-raid...pre-ops planning/briefing sessions usually involved the consumption of at least a case of San Miquel beer (at my expense). The nature of that kind of work usually meant it was in the evening hours when we were doing this. Down the street, one could hear a street vendor hollering out...."Ballut....Ballut!" as they approach your location.

The locals considered that item to be a delicacy.....and it was to incur great loss of face if you would not eat one or more.

Ballut is a chicken egg containing a fully formed chick complete with a few feathers and a beak....that has congealed into a semi-solid mass after being buried in the ground for an extended period.

After you have eaten your first one....your hearing improves greatly.

The cry of "Ballut" enables you to complete a briefing in record time and get into your US Taxpayer owned car and set land speed records as you depart.

One of these days I will have to tell of my assignment to work undercover posing as a drunken sailor in a massage parlor. But that is another tale.

Devil 49
28th May 2005, 13:35
"If it can go wrong, it will."

Most useful for planning purposes, especially if you're time or fuel critical in finishing the run by "x." Just another way to say the first casualty in combat is the plan, or the road to h**l is paved with good intentions.

Heli-Ice
29th May 2005, 02:30
A drunk and posing, undercover sailor in a massage parlor.... now that's a one I'd like to hear. :D

Farmer 1
29th May 2005, 13:54
If some idiot asks you a really, really, really stupid question, remember two things - he might not actually be an idiot, and his question just might not actually be stupid. Never be too timid or arrogant to ask what the hell he means.

Oh, and don't swim in lumpy water.

Sabre Zero 1
2nd Jun 2005, 08:32
Always (when possible) do a 360 degree 'look out' turn before you transition away, it will alert you to other traffic, give you an idea of wind, and let you see the person franticly waving at you because they've spotted an inspection hatch you left open! (hasn't happened to me yet!)

SASless
2nd Jun 2005, 13:18
Use the "One Dissenting Vote Rule"....in bad weather and other issues....when the question is being made to continue or not...go with the one dissenting vote.

If the other pilot asks you what you think of the weather....it is not a question.

If the other pilot asks whether you ought to be doing what you are doing....it is not a question.

Chicken out early.

Always have a way out....when you run out of options you are about to have an unpleasant experience which you might survive....but might not.

If you have a sudden onset of vibration in flight....land at the very first opportunity.

Always walk around the aircraft with your eyes wide open....before every single run-up or takeoff.

Two bladed helicopters....blades crossways and visually check the blade tie downs before hitting the start button.....or at some time you will learn why this is a good practice.

One pilot must fly the aircraft at all times....even if only supervising George.

Rule One of How to deal with emergencies.....THINK FIRST! Then do something physical. Why make it more difficult than neccessary.

All emergencies are not listed in the Flight Manual or Checklist.

Limitations are for Normal Operations....if you are crashing...that is not a normal operation.

Helicopters are re-usable containers for the occupants.....use it up as needed to protect yourself and your passengers during a crash.

erchie
2nd Jun 2005, 16:30
You can always stop and ask someone.!!

Jack Carson
3rd Jun 2005, 01:44
"Plan the flight" "Fly the Plan" A quote from the late Admiral James Wissler USN former Commander of the USN Air Test Center Patuxent River Md. It done good by me.:ok:

semirigid rotor
3rd Jun 2005, 02:30
Never let the aircraft take you to a place, your brain hasn't been 5 minutes beforehand.

Take off's are optional, landing is mandatory.

overpitched
3rd Jun 2005, 02:52
And the best thing you can tell nervous passengers.

We have a 100% safety record. We've never left anyone up there !!

Nr245
3rd Jun 2005, 03:41
Mostly for two pilot ops however you can adopt this in single pilot ops, use your SADIE checks when ever a problem arises.

S- Share Information
A- Analyse the problem
D- Develop a solution
I- Implement your ideas
E- Evaluate

Carry these out till your safely on the ground:ok:

2beers
3rd Jun 2005, 09:00
Not tips really...

"Why make it difficult? With some effort, you can make it impossible!" :ok:

"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people." :(

/2beers

cyclicpushover
3rd Jun 2005, 11:35
AVIATE-NAVIGATE-COMMUNICATE

And above all work hard and be good to your mother

HOGE
3rd Jun 2005, 12:56
You are only as good as your last payslip, or your last f**k up, whichever occurs first!

jbrereton
3rd Jun 2005, 19:22
Do not get distracted by a minor problem.

Let the none handling pilot deal with it or if single pilot sort it out on the ground.

The Nr Fairy
4th Jun 2005, 06:49
Not seen SADIE before - like that.

Also:

G - Gather all information to hand
R - Review all information
A - Analyse the information
D - Decide on a plan
E - Execute the plan

Corax
4th Jun 2005, 20:07
Along the lines of being well prepared by checking details of mission, equipment, weather and all relevant calculations:

It is always better to be on the ground wishing you were flying than to be up flying whishing the hell you were on the ground.

IHL
4th Jun 2005, 21:29
Time spent planning, is never wasted.

Nellis
6th Jun 2005, 13:44
This is one of the greatest threads I have read for a long time. A bit of humour is good for the soul- keep it up guys!!! Here is some more. Between the humour, there is a lot of advice.

"Never fly in the same cockpit with someone braver than you."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"There is no reason to fly through a thunderstorm in peacetime."
- Sign over squadron ops desk at Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ, 1970
"If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to."
Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go
near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the
appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It
is much more difficult to fly there."

SASless
6th Jun 2005, 13:51
EMS pilots are safer in the middle of a thunderstorm at night over the mountains than in a confrontation with a Flight Nurse.

TIMTS
6th Jun 2005, 14:15
There is no reason to fly through a thunderstorm.

Sign above a squadron ops building in Thailand during the Vietnam war

Heli-Ice
6th Jun 2005, 23:54
Always land safely!

Farmer 1
7th Jun 2005, 07:50
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y277/Robert47/Planahead.jpg

ShyTorque
7th Jun 2005, 10:04
IHL,

"Time spent planning, is never wasted."

It is with our company; they change their mind about the destination all the time :rolleyes:

Know what you mean, though :ok:

Heliport
8th Jun 2005, 14:38
Threads merged.

A goldmine of useful tips. :ok:

Heliport

Hueymeister
8th Jun 2005, 19:12
Confucious says....Conventional Helos..ie non-french...'wind from the back and right is a pile of ****e'

krobar
9th Jun 2005, 11:06
A quickstop in a descent might just cause an unpleasant surprise.
It takes power to drive the tailrotor, so keep that in mind while doing pedal turns in strong wind.

Lightning_Boy
11th Jun 2005, 21:57
Never dip your pen in the company ink! :E

hilaw3
12th Jun 2005, 12:47
From the world according to HD-

If you're early-you're on time
If you're on time-you're late
If you're late-you're fired.

My mother' favorite admonishment

Don't worry too much-it'll get worse.

Blue Rotor Ronin
31st Aug 2009, 17:46
Always check your spirit optics are well placed otherwise they may interfere with your displays and make you spill your drink.:ok:

stringfellow
31st Aug 2009, 18:27
always check under the seats, quite why it is not in an a check amazes me. i often fly with ballast and the thought of two guys piling into an r22 fully fuelled without checking under the seats is terrifying.

DBChopper
1st Sep 2009, 10:07
always check under the seats, quite why it is not in an a check amazes me. i often fly with ballast and the thought of two guys piling into an r22 fully fuelled without checking under the seats is terrifying.

Wise words indeed! I almost gave myself a rather interesting flight when flying with three pax in an unfamiliar R44 when I dismissed an item under the rear seats as a set of folded blue covers. Imagine my relief when prior to take off I realised they were actually rather heavy ballast bags and removed them! :uhoh:

lelebebbel
1st Sep 2009, 10:28
Whenever I find myself in a rush to do something (like an emergency procedure):

"If you don't have the time to do it right, how are you going to have enough time to do it again?"

NotHomeMuch
1st Sep 2009, 10:46
One thing a lot of pilots forget in an emergency - fly the aircraft.

heli_79
1st Sep 2009, 11:02
Assumptions are the mother of all F**k ups. Never asume anything!:ugh:

Wind, Wind, Wind and more Wind.

Coffeelover
8th Sep 2009, 12:18
I haven't read this whole thread, so I hope I am not repeating another user. That being said, a great book that explains a number of issues is "Fatal Traps for Helicopter Pilots". It is available with both Chapters.ca and Amazon books. I pass a copy to all my pilot friends at birthdays. Well written and hard to put down if you are in the industry.

Jack Carson
8th Sep 2009, 13:23
"Plan the Flight" "Fly the Plan"

MOSTAFA
8th Sep 2009, 14:16
Best bit of advice I have had and passed on to 1000's - I survive!

mickjoebill
8th Sep 2009, 14:58
Does anyone have an account of either a tail rotor failure or a serious vortex ring incident (or anything else interesting)?

Don't fly if the heat proof paint is peeling off the gearbox.

Mickjoebill

Hedge36
8th Sep 2009, 15:28
The one bit of advice I toss at people (though they never seem to listen): don't fly in clothing you wouldn't want to hike in.

Came up with that one all by my lonesome after a few interesting adventures.

SASless
8th Sep 2009, 16:20
Ass, Tin, Ticket....in that order. Save yer own Ass, Save the helicopter, and worry about the license after doing the first two.

Smackhawk
9th Sep 2009, 08:15
L=Cl1/2pV2S is still the theory of flight.

Gravity is a law :)

Winnie
9th Sep 2009, 13:35
Does anyone have the picture from the US Navy Sea Hawk that had a Gatorade stuck over the collective?

Been looking for that for a few days.

Cheers
W.

EN48
9th Sep 2009, 21:24
Toilet paper....

Better still ... Wet Ones Flush n' Fresh (in the US at least). Serve the same purpose but more varied applications (including first aid) as well. Individually sealed in a foil packet for easier packing and long storage life. :ok:

RaymondKHessel
10th Sep 2009, 03:26
Awesome advice on this thread...I just discovered it. I've been developing a web site dedicated to transferring knowledge from the wise guys to those of us just getting started. Hope you'll check it out and add to it:

WikiRFM.CyclicAndCollective.net (http://wikirfm.cyclicandcollective.net/wikirfm-pplh/)

Heli-phile
10th Sep 2009, 06:33
To Fail to plan, Is a plan to fail ;)

Winnie
10th Sep 2009, 13:00
As Bob Muse from Robinson Helicopters kept saying: "No plan for failure is a PLANNED failure"

Like it and use it.

ADRidge
11th Sep 2009, 08:03
As Bob Muse from Robinson Helicopters kept saying: "No plan for failure is a PLANNED failure"

I always keep that in mind when I fly. Good one.

bellfest
11th Sep 2009, 08:55
"If you find yourself lost just head in to wind. There's a 90% chance that is the way home!"........

Heli-phile
12th Sep 2009, 06:54
Great minds think alike!!:ok:

Heli-phile
12th Sep 2009, 06:59
The angle of the dangle is directly proportional to the lust of the thrust!!

Heli-phile
12th Sep 2009, 07:55
1, When checking fuel burn, trust your stopwatch more than your fuel gauge.

2, Treat the "low fuel" warning light as a "land now" light. Especially if it is unexpected. Just because you should still have fuel, does not mean you really do!!!

Note:
-Explaining to the boss why you landed with a low fuel light is much easier than explaining why you had to auto with no fuel!!

3, The Fuel you left in the tanker is as useless as the survival kit you left in the crew room, and that flight following you could not bother to arrange.:sad:

DennisK
19th Sep 2009, 21:37
For MickJoe and any others that are especially interested ... unhappily I've suffered three T/R failures ... in 14,000 hrs tho' ... (one in hover so it hardly counts) and on request I'd be happy to report in reasonable detail, the sequence of actions that enabled me to put the machines down without damage. Two occasions were Enstrom where the upgoing T/R blade intercepted the LH control cable which in one instance wrapped itself around the T/R swash plate to seize the transmission.

The first occasion was a simple T/R drive shaft that sheared. Quite a few instructors in the UK simulate the T/R fail condition quite well but for starters you can forget most of the advice handed out in manufacturers PFMs. A standard autorotation isn't likely to succeed.

DRK

birrddog
19th Sep 2009, 22:01
Dennis, I for one, and I'm sure many others, would be most grateful if you could take the time to elaborate.

Birrddog

RaymondKHessel
20th Sep 2009, 19:56
This is something that often gets buried in a ground lesson, especially when your instructors never learned how to simulate it. It's also a topic that comes up a lot, and I've developed a web site for low time pilots to get answers to questions like this from high time pilots. Here's the link (http://wikirfm.cyclicandcollective.net/ground-lessons/tail-rotor-failure/) to the tail rotor failures lesson...hopefully you can add something to it.
Thanks!

Jabberwocky82
20th Sep 2009, 23:21
Never let the aircraft take you to a place, your brain hasn't been 5 minutes beforehand.or another way of saying it;

Never take an aircraft anywhere you brain hasn't already been

SASless
28th Jul 2010, 13:04
If everyone agrees....someone needs to start thinking!

cyclic_fondler
28th Jul 2010, 13:36
There's only two things you can trust in life:-

Your Mother
and
Your compass

Soave_Pilot
28th Jul 2010, 15:13
An important one is:

Always instruct your passengers how to release the seat belts, open/close the doors, exit and enter the aircraft.

A heard of an accident few years back where the pax didnt know how to do that and ended drowning inside the aircraft after a ditching, and the same thing can happen if the chopper catches on fire over the land.:ok:

Also... when doing an emergency landing on top of trees, go tail rotor first!

DS
aka jungle pilot

BedakSrewet
29th Jul 2010, 02:35
And the Mother Compass....

Max Contingency
7th Jun 2011, 14:48
Speed equals height and height equals speed. If you are out of both of these and you think you are going to have to overtorque or overtemp then do it early. A lesser value of overtorque/temp held for a longer time can have the same effect in arresting rate of descent as a larger value but momentary overtorque/temp but has significantly less chance of "trashing" your gearbox/engine.

"We make these mistakes so you dont have to" :ok: