PDA

View Full Version : The 717s are here!!!

SkySista
8th Jun 2005, 14:12
Well after a zillion months of reading they were coming over to PER, today I saw a shiny 717 being towed from NJS over to QF. (Assume it was doing a flight, because next time I looked, it had gone)

So does this mean there'll be some progression/recruitment (either with NJS or within QF Link??)

Hehe, they'd have been better off leaving them in the roo livery, and using JQ decals!!! :E

Oh well, gotta say, will make a nice change from seeing 146s everywhere! :}

Sky

Capn Bloggs
8th Jun 2005, 15:09
What, that tarted up DC-9? Manual girt bars: I don't believe it. :yuk:

The recruitment/progression has already happened, bloggs... If you're not already in, you've missed out! :{

spinout
8th Jun 2005, 22:25
The 717 are being operated by NJS under contract to Qantaslink; there is no progression from NJS to Qantaslink.
Qantaslink is made up of Sunstate and Eastern; there is no progression within Qantaslink.
Qantaslink is a wholly owned subsidiary of Qantas; the same as Jetstar, Australian and Jetconnect, there is no progression within the subsidiaries or mainline.

Douglas Mcdonnell
8th Jun 2005, 23:11
Whats the problem Bloggs? You never have to deal with the girt bars anyway. I had always thought you were a pilot and not a flight attendant!!

Buster Hyman
9th Jun 2005, 02:42
I was in a girt bar once...hard to get a drink, very crowded.

Cart_tart
9th Jun 2005, 02:51
You're slightly incorrect there spinout.
the 717's are being operated by NJS on behalf of QF.
Pilots who have enough $$ to pay for their endorsement will be flying QFlink, although employed by NJS.
When first employed, FA's will usually start off working in the NJS charter division. After a year or so they can transfer to QFlink and fly for them, although still employed by NJS.
Qantaslink is also made up of Airlink, which is us.
We cannot transfer directly to QF. Sunstate and Eastern have progression to mainline (for FA's at least) as they are a wholly owned subsidiary. We have to apply externally like everyone else as we are contractors (and we are CONSTANTLY reminded of that!)
We have a memo at the moment telling us we are not to go near the 717 as it is still under Jetstar's AOC. Not offically ours yet!

Skysista - yes you should apply. Groundschools are ongoing atm. One has just gone through. Another should soon. We\'re short staffed, only to get worse when the 717\'s are rolled into action!
Go to nationaljet.com.au and click on the employment bit then flight attendant and you can email them to send you an application form.
goodluck
x

lemmegetback2u
9th Jun 2005, 03:48
Cart_Tart sent you a pm!

SkySista
9th Jun 2005, 04:10
Ok, I should have picked a better word than 'progression', I just meant, did anyone think this would provide more opportunity at NJS and so forth.

I do know the difference between NJS and Qantaslink, trust me!! (Have friends who fly for both)

Thanks for the tip, Cart Tart, I'm not looking to apply myself (applied with NJS back in Dec) but am on the lookout for some mates... will let them know! Cheers!!!

So has it done any "flights" yet? Or just maint/endorsement flights...? Coz it sure went somewhere yesterday! :}

beachwave40
9th Jun 2005, 07:06
Spinout, your slightly wrong again. Jetstar do have progression into Mainline, but it doesnt happen over night.

Cart_tart
9th Jun 2005, 07:09
lemmegetback2u...i havent got your pm yet.
skysista...as far as I know the 717 hasn't been doing anything - just sitting on the apron over near virgin. like I said before, it's still on Jet*'s AOC and we've been directed not to go near it. It may have been towed over to NJS for something, but it doesn't operate it's first flight until July 1 when it goes to PHE.
The first training group goes through next week I think.

SkySista
9th Jun 2005, 07:36
Thanks, CT. SO it *is* there - I just can't see it from where I usually am! :p

Is it just the one coming over then?? (for now I guess, as the 320's go into service with JQ)

Hmm maybe this has something to do with Getaway advertising JQ flights FROM Perth a few weeks ago....??? :confused: lol

Cart_tart
9th Jun 2005, 07:58
Skysista - we're getting a total of 6 (or was it 7?!) One a month will be arriving for the remainder of the year.
Can't wait to crew on them. Not looking forward to the ridiculous amounts of training we have to do tho!!

SkySista
9th Jun 2005, 08:41
6? Cool. As I said, it will be a nice change from 146's :E

I suppose the training will be all of the usual - I'm assuming current/ more senior crew are being given 1st choice to fly on the 717's??

Pity none will be in NJS colours, think they would look quite nice - less squashed than on the 146.. :)

Capt Claret
9th Jun 2005, 13:12
Try 8 in the first tranche. Rumours, or perhaps the wish list, abound for the remaining 6.

No 1 parked today south of the Virgin terminal, next to the AAe 72.

Capn Bloggs
9th Jun 2005, 13:31
Rumours, or perhaps the wish list, abound for the remaining 6.
CC, you've been drinking too much...

Uncommon Sense
9th Jun 2005, 13:35
Girt Bar Sea ...

cunninglinguist
9th Jun 2005, 14:15
Cart tart, if you are feeling a bit down about the training, ask one of your pilots to show you the FMS ( flight management system ) manual, double the size of the FA manual and its only one component of the A/C.....................and it costs 15k:yuk: :}

Capt Claret
9th Jun 2005, 14:36
hic ... Bloggs hic what do you mean? :confused:

Capn Bloggs
9th Jun 2005, 15:25
CC,

My point exactly. Here you are p1ssed again, after midnight, pruning. There's no hope for you!

Cunning,

Cart Tart's manual is bigger than the FMS manual! An FMS for 15k? Must be pretty poxy...

Cart_tart
9th Jun 2005, 16:36
my manual is sitting in my pigeon hole still. I'm too scared to bring it home and attempt to look through it. It is pretty thick and I fear it will put me to sleep. I don't mind doing the conversion course, it's the 8 sectors of inflight training (please, i've been flying a loooooooooong time now, I think i know how to do my job! I think 2 sectors would suffice!) and the line check that bother me!
You're right tho. At least I don't have to pay for it!
I wonder how long it will be until new FA recruits will have to pay for their training though?!?!

ditzyboy
11th Jun 2005, 02:09
cart_tart -
FAs paying for training? Already happens at Ryanair. I dunno if they are paid back over time or something similar.

AirNorth took a couple of their girls to court back in 2001/2 for leaving within a certain time frame. "To recover the cost of their training..." The court ordered the girls to pay AirNorth $1 in the end!

re. Your training... The 717 is really nice for FAs but you are losing the rear galley to hide in. Also make sure you read up about the rear tailcone exit and all the back ups for when the contraption doesn't work properly. It would pay to do some pre-reading coz it is quite daunting when you first learn it. (If I can help please PM me...)

Every 717 you get is more Airbus flying for us :(

cunninglinguist
11th Jun 2005, 23:56
bloggs, maybe if you inc D8 and 146 part of the FA manual.

and that was 15k for the manual, not the unit :{ , but don't worry, you get a few other manuals as well for the money :}

F/O Bloggs
12th Jun 2005, 01:23
And I got to keep a cool ID holder, even though they wanted it back.

Capn B- It ain't poxy. It is a fantastic piece of kit.

:cool:

Capn Bloggs
12th Jun 2005, 03:32
Bloggs,

It's a tarted up Diesel nine, that's all. The cockpit's not a patch on the 146. All that bloody grey metal everywhere! Looks like the inside of a DC-3.

That's not to say it'll be good fun! :E

F/O Bloggs
12th Jun 2005, 07:19
It might be a bit advanced for you Capn. All those DUs and not an analog instrument to be seen. DC3 = 717 Flightdeck, ease off the vino.

It will be good fun.:ok:

cunninglinguist
13th Jun 2005, 08:39
having spent a bit of time in the Goony, albeit a while ago, I am having trouble remembering the 6 LCD screens in the '3. .:confused:

Correct in one sense though, the '3 was way ahead of its time from a technical standpoint, as was the '9

Capn Bloggs
13th Jun 2005, 11:15
Cunning,
The DC-9 was a poor cousin to the real leader of the time, the F-28...;)

Enema Bandit's Dad
14th Jun 2005, 00:27
So how much is National Jet charging their employee's for a 717 endorsement so that National Jet make more money at their employee's expense?

cunninglinguist
14th Jun 2005, 10:50
I'm glad u winked Bloggsy :E

EBD, in return for 10 yrs plus of service its at the bargain price of 15k, mind you, youre only " lending " NJS that money for 2 1/2 years:mad: :confused:
Conversly, if you r a newbie it will cost twice that and you wont be "lending " them the money. But we all know that a swinebat endorsement will be invaluable in years to come:{

Chocks Away
14th Jun 2005, 23:33
... not a good set of numbers those, by any stroke of the imagination.:(
Got better places to put that sort of money for a much larger return and it certainly aint in Aviation!
All this coughing up Endorsement Dollars is getting out of hand!:}

Galley Power
22nd Jun 2005, 09:01
Hey all

I have done my conversion from the BAe146 to B717. I love these 'newer' aircraft and can't wait till my first flight next month in July.

All is taught in the conversion school in three days, especially about the jettisoning of the tail and other aspects you've all spoken about... Its easy when you know how!!! For the other NJS/QantasLink boys and gals, read up before your conversion training and it will make sense a whole lot quicker!
Pity about the one galley, though I'm sure us cabin crew will cram ourselves in the one galley, we always used to before anyway!

GP

P.S. Cart Tart I thought we were getting 8 B717s (not 6-7), keeping 2 BAe146-300s and maybe getting the other 6 of Jetstar's B717s?

cunninglinguist
22nd Jun 2005, 23:31
Hows the 1st flight to PD on the 1st July looking, my sources indicate there is more chance of NJS ever looking after their people than there is of an NJ crew DC9ing to PD on the 1st :confused:

RENURPP
1st Jul 2005, 06:06
my sources indicate there is more chance of NJS ever looking after their people than there is of an NJ crew DC9ing to PD on the 1st

looks like you need new sources doesn't it???

SkySista
1st Jul 2005, 15:22
seems the arrival of the new planes means NJS CC recruitment is on....!

Got a call yesterday inviting me for an interview, unfortunately I had to decline as at this stage my circumstances prevent me from taking the job if it was offered.... (mind you I applied Dec last year!)

Any of the other hopefuls here get a call??? Best of luck, wish I could have been there with all the NJS regulars :} oh well maybe next year...

How's things going on the aircrew side?? And of course did the flight happen today??

cunninglinguist
2nd Jul 2005, 02:34
Nothing wrong with the source mate, I can assure you of that.

Just relaying how it was at the time, heaven and earth was moved to change that, and good on those involved...............

just a pity it only half worked :ugh: