PDA

View Full Version : Citiexpress-man (ba)

flyguy532
8th Jun 2005, 11:28
HI CAN ANYONE TELL ME ANY INFO ON BRITISH AIRWAYS CITIEXPRESS AT MACHESTER. WATS THE WORK LOAD LIKE, DO U GET ANY NIGHT STOPS AND WATS THE AVERAGE TAKE HOME PAY FOR A CREW MEMBER.

flyguy532
9th Jun 2005, 10:48
im starting on the 16th of june, a week today and wondered if anyone out there can give me an insight and what to expect

cheers

Boofers
25th Sep 2005, 11:05
Hi, I've just taken a job with CitiExpress as cabin crew from Southampton. I start on November 7th. I know that no-one helped you out, but as you've now done the course (or if there's anyone else out there who can help), can you give me an insight? Also what's the pay like (not that great, I've heard !!!)

marlowe
25th Sep 2005, 13:02
what ever base your at you can expect a roster of six on and two off with lots of roster changes at last moment do not expect to keep a standby as this rarely happens these days morale is low with cabin crew at moment ,lots of rumours about future of company and what the product might be in the future, as for nightstops you will be expected to work out of other bases on a regular bases sometimes up to possibly 4,5,6 days away from base witch does boost take home pay but the basic is not the best!!

Boofers
25th Sep 2005, 13:13
:{ Well, I'm going to throw all my toys out of my pram. I was told at the interview that I would only being flying out of Southampton, apart from a possible overnight at Manchester. I was told that I would be home almost every night. Is this not true then? Surely they can't expect you to work from every base around the country? I've also been offered a job at BA eurofleet - do you think this is a better option then? Thanks for your advice :ok:

marlowe
25th Sep 2005, 13:21
Southampton does not get messed around as much as other bases but have seen lots of sou crew in edinburgh recently if you have the chance of mainline take it and do not go to BACX if you dont you will regret !!it Sou is a small base and i think only has 3 routes Sorry to rain on your parade but please dont believe everything that is said at recruitment days ime affraid they are desperate for crew at mo and will tellyou what you want to hear

Boofers
25th Sep 2005, 14:33
Thanks for your help. I think I'll take a rain check on the Southampton base for the moment until I've made up my mind. The thing is that BA job is open to me until June next year so I figured that if I didnt like CX, I could just take the BA one next year. :confused:

marlowe
25th Sep 2005, 15:28
just go for mainline job and forget Bacx!!!!!!

tiggerific_69
25th Sep 2005, 17:29
i think Marlowe is exaggerating a bit,you only get sent away to other bases for a few days when they are desperate,and there isnt really a set roster pattern,ive just done 4 days on and now i have got 3 days off.i work for BACX out of BHX btw.We do nightstops and 3 day trips,which are hardwork,but doing about 200 hours a month,i clear about £1000.
its not that bad at all,its small communities and everyone gets on,of course there are a few people who dont like each other but thats the same with every company!

btw,SOU is domestic routes so no you dont get nightstops apart from the occasional manchester one,and as for standbies,i have been keeping mine,and the only roster changes i get are changing from a standby to a duty a few days before i was due to have the standby.its not as bad as Marlowe is making out so dont let it put you off.Edinburgh,Manchester,Bristol and Birmingham are all taking on a lot of new recruits at the moment,
and if Marlowe doesnt like CitiExpress,why not leave???

marlowe
25th Sep 2005, 20:22
Tiggerific69 come and say hello when i am sat in BHX crewroom cos i have been dragged from my base yet again to cover the flights out of there and tell me i am exaggerating then!!! I am always there. Tea or coffee has it spot on i used to be MAN based and they have it spot on you must be working for a different BACX at BHX

T69 who says i dont like working for BACX? but anybody from other bases would not recognise the rosy picture you are painting and I know for a fact that BHX is the same how long have you worked for the company? if you have been around for a few years then you would Know what it used to be like compared to now .Cabin crew are being rostered to the max with last minute roster changes the norm ,if you get a group of standbys you just know you are going away for a few days to another base , you can get called from home standby to airport standby then when you arrive find that you are now going 3 days down line and you only have 1 nights change of clothing cos crewing forgot to mention the fact that they have already gotta duty lined up for you thats assuming you can speak to crewing cos normally you have to phone umpteen times before they will deem to speak to you cos their on ciggie break out the back, just a thought why not have a phone installed in the smokers hut at the loading bay ? It is hard work at the moment with this company and you have to wonder when/if the workload will ease because regardless of what T69 says about the rosters the norm is 6 on 2 off fact, new crewwho have worked for other airlines cannot believe the rosters and i know personally of two that have quit because they see more of the holiday inn at FRA then they do of there own places. T69 i actually love my job I would love it more if the company realised that we have a life outside of flying and gave us chance to live it once in awhile

tiggerific_69
26th Sep 2005, 09:45
you obviously dont like working for bacx cos of the way you are complaining about it,im a CC2 for bhx and have been there over a year now,and yes when i first started there was a lot of disruption but NOT NOW and these people want to know about NOW not the past.i rarely every get 6 on 2 off on my roster,it is varying each week,and at the moment everyone is getting a lot of standbies because we have had new crew.i know it is different for CC1's and that you are overworked,i was called off airport standby 2 weeks ago and got sent to manchester,i had been there since 12pm and didnt get home till midnight,but i didnt complain because i got my day off payment.i never get changes to my roster,only get changed off standbys occasionally.i dont have a problem with the company at all and i am telling these people how it is for me,like you are telling them how it is for you,simple as.
these people want to know what it is like for a main crew member,working out of SOU or MAN and how it is NOW,not how it is for SCCM and how it was a year or two ago.

amy_lou34
26th Sep 2005, 10:01
I've just started with BACX at BHX and I love it. My rosters are good at the moment, I haven't got any more than 5 days on for two months and I've got a few weekends off. I think its just the nature of the job that you're going to be busy, especially on short sectors. A lot of people in my training group were from different airlines and they think their rosters are fab, they have a lot more time off. At the end of the day, you know you're gonna have to cover more than just your own base right from the start.
Fair enough I've only been there two months but I agree with Tiggerific :O

marlowe
26th Sep 2005, 10:32
i have been in the BHX crewroom in the last few weeks and i know a lot of people there and i am sorry but the two of you have rose tinted glasses on i also know alot of people in other bases and see there rosters and i can tell you that they are all doing 6 on 2 off rosters next time we fly together and believe me we will, if we havent already ,come and tell me that i dont love my job because i do ,BUT the rosters are a mess and crewing prey on the new starts not knowing what there flight duty limitations are and so the crews get worked to the limit, please dont tell me i dont know what i am talking about because any senior crew member at any given base will tell you the same so next time you report for a flight look round the crewroom because i will no doubt be there and i could be the senior on your flight. By the way have they fixed that awful smell down there yet from the drains?

tiggerific_69
26th Sep 2005, 10:48
i never said that you dont love your job,i said you dont like the company.neither of us have got rose tinted glasses on were just telling you how it is fr us as Main Crew members!!!!yes there are people who do have busy rosters,dont forget there is also the facility to swap duties with other crew members.yes sometimes it is sh1t,when you get 300 hours on your roster,it is sh1t doing 3 day trips being away from home,but we are tellin you how it is for crew members who are number 2's based at birmingham,not seniors based at a different base.these people who asked what it is like

flyguy532 HI CAN ANYONE TELL ME ANY INFO ON BRITISH AIRWAYS CITIEXPRESS AT MACHESTER. WATS THE WORK LOAD LIKE, DO U GET ANY NIGHT STOPS AND WATS THE AVERAGE TAKE HOME PAY FOR A CREW MEMBER

Hi, I've just taken a job with CitiExpress as cabin crew from Southampton. I start on November 7th. I know that no-one helped you out, but as you've now done the course (or if there's anyone else out there who can help), can you give me an insight? Also what's the pay like (not that great, I've heard !!!)

Thanks

they want to know how it is for a MAIN CREW not listen to you moaning on about how crap it is for SENIOR CREW,im just trying to tell them how it is for main crew at bhx,as is Amy_Lou34,so i think we will leave it at that.
and the smell was a leak that came through and soaked the carpet by the crew room,but its cleared up weeks ago.

marlowe
26th Sep 2005, 10:51
well amy_lou and T69 crewing just phoned me and guess what change of duty will be in BHX til FRI so please come and say hello and remind me about not getting roster changes gotta go ,got to pack my bag, and see you on an RJ sometime this week!!!!!!!
_

tiggerific_69
26th Sep 2005, 10:59
you are a senior crew member,it is totally different for Main Crew members why dont you understand this??im trying to give this people an opinion of how it is for Main Crew!!!!if you dont like it,work for another carrier,then maybe you will enjoy your job more.Dont complain about the company if youre not going to do anything about it.

marlowe
26th Sep 2005, 11:02
go careful you have no idea what posistion i hold in the company apart from sccm ,management also on here as well

tiggerific_69
26th Sep 2005, 11:07
this is just getting pathetic now,forums are free for all to voice opinions,so i'll just agree to disagree.

marlowe
26th Sep 2005, 11:08
again i have no problem working for the company and as i said i love my job but i have seen how the standards have dropped when it comes to the working conditions of ALL crew as i said come and say hello when i am in BHX this week and i will show you my roster the only reason you are not being worked hard at the moment is because we have fresh newbies online as soon as they get fed up you will be back to shortage of crews and then you will be shunted around bases just like happened at MAN EDI and BRS been there done it

CC Forum Moderators
26th Sep 2005, 14:45
Marlowe what is true or not true about your employer's practices is not for us to say. As long as all of you post anonimously here, we can say that everybody's opinion is just that. An opinion.
Your view of BA City Express is therefore no more tue or false than the view of your 'opponents' on this thread.

Secondly, when you signed up for PPRuNe you agreed to the terms and conditions. One of the things you agreed to was: You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

Your post saying "go careful you have no idea what posistion i hold in the company apart from sccm ,management also on here as well" is a thinly veiled threat and as such entirely despicable and out of bounds.
If you want to continue posting on PPRuNe, you will need to stick to the rules here. We suggest you read the stickie at the top of the forum and click on the link to the forum rules before making any more posts here.

Boofers
26th Sep 2005, 17:17
I feel like I've opened up a whole can of worms here!!! I can't believe the difference in opinions of those who work for BACX. I've been working for Virgin Atlantic now for nearly 6 years - there are people who love it, and people who hate it. I guess you get the same in whatever company you work for!?!?! I WILL be taking the job (as I haven't heard from any SOU based crew, I need to see for myself what its like) in November and hopefully I'll love it. If anyone knows anything about buddy rosters, that'd be good (my other half is a pilot).... anyone help me?...I was told at interview that they'd be able to buddy us up so we have the same days off. Is this true? and is there a waiting list?

tiggerific_69
26th Sep 2005, 18:03
yep you can buddy roster i dont think it would be particularly hard out of SOU either given that it is a small base.cant believe youre leaving Virgin Atlantic to come to us though!!!how come youre leaving there?

Dash-7 lover
26th Sep 2005, 19:27
If some of you don't like it and think the grass is greener.....think again. Have you read any FLYBE/BMI Baby etc etc posts. As with any airline and especially BA you'll have the old timers that have been there for donkey's years and will be upset that they have to be labelled BA Citiexpress and aren't flying the 1-11 anymore, life goes on!! ;->

tiggerific_69
27th Sep 2005, 08:48
i know,theres a whole divide in the crew room at bhx and some of them are nice but others are so vicious and rude and there is just NO need for it.the new crew are even funnier who are working with the ex-bar crew but theyre on citiexpress contracts,but they talk to us,or ignore us more like,in the same way as the old timers.no need!!!!but if they think it would be better somewhere else,then i agree,they should go.i think we have it cushty at bacx,its not bad at all!

gps117
28th Sep 2005, 10:51
citiexpress at man is VERY different than at other bases. I worked there for 8 months and finally escaped to mainline lhr where i never looked back. I clear nearly double what i took home at man and have 10 days off a month

I have friends at SOU that love it, easy domestics and you do tend to be home evrey night, lovely friendly base where everyone is really friendly

At MAN we got shafted everyday, and from speaking to freinds they still are, long tours and always operating out or other bases, roster changes by the day etc. However all the crews at man are brill, and you can have a real ball down route.

At the end of the day its what you make it, if you learn your legal limits etc and dont take any c**p off crewing you can have a fairly good work life balance.........for some of the month ;-)

p.s. you in the new uniform yet?

tiggerific_69
29th Sep 2005, 08:29
i thought u were bhx based gps lol.yep it ll just about thru now,takin a bit longer for ex-bar for some reason but majority of bacx have got it,apart from all the tiny people really!

Boofers
29th Sep 2005, 14:09
Well, I've been at Virgin now for what seems like a really long time and the long-haul is finally killing me. Also I wanted the opportunity to be at home a bit more and I thought that one of the BA shorthaul's would give me that. The only thing is that I STILL haven't made up my mind as to which to go for - eurofleet or SOU BACX. Its a really tough call. I've got until next week to make my mind up. So I take it that BACX is in the new uniform now then???

gps117
29th Sep 2005, 22:19
boofers,

take bacx and see if you like it, the next few courses at mainline are going to lgw worldwide. Once its back to eurofleet then apply. You can bid for the work you wan so if you want to be home every night you can be, and the best bit is u can bid for your days off!

good luck in whatever you decide, black is more stylish then red anyway he he he

tiggerific_69
30th Sep 2005, 09:08
GPS we dont get to bid for days off or nightstops etc at BACX.but boofers,GPS is right about mainline sending new recruits to worldwide,might aswell give BACX a whirl :)

gps117
30th Sep 2005, 09:53
i was meaning lhr, you can bid for days off and the sort of trips you want

tiggerific_69
30th Sep 2005, 22:17
oh right i get ya :ok:

tiggerific_69
3rd Oct 2005, 09:41
Marlowe,just incase youre still bothered about being sent to work out of other bases,i checked in for my Airport Standby yesterday at 12.30pm and got sent to Manchester to do 4 sectors,then they miraculously found a crew to do the first 2,so we did the last two and got home at 11pm last night.and i still havent seen you in the crew room down at bhx :)