PDA

View Full Version : Type rating Schemes

dynamite dean
8th Jun 2005, 09:17
This post is with reference to type rating schemes. A very contraversial topic at best I thought I would post here not the wannabes incase I get death threats.:D

Both I and my wife are returning to the UK from a 2 year stint in the DRCongo and need normality in life supermarkets, shopping centres and for me VOR's which work and a CAA which when you land in the middle of nowhere charge you 23.4567 dollars and he wants the change with brand new dollar bills!

(:{ ) whilst I fly on contract Caravan and King Air have about 2600hrs have a SA ATPL and am currently distance learning via BGS. Hopefully everything out of the way by December or JAn next year. Not easy Negotiating CB's, being shot at only to find the buggers have nicked the copper out of the NDB and have to divert to a place where there is still civil unrest .then to get home and have to study two hours of Radio Aids bla bla.. (I am sure you have heard it all before)!!

Anyway have managed to save some money in this time hopefully to spend it on some sort of type rating.Any particular companies that COULD offer somesort of employment after this.
I did a search and I see, I wont mention specific companies but if you like Iron Maiden he works for them I believe offer a good deal (?).

I have to say having worked in probably the most broken region of the planet I wouldn't feel gulity about having to pay to get ahead after all I had to pay for all of my training and all of my ratings in everything I have done so this next step is just no different. Anyway any takers would be welcome,
Regards DD

;) )

Jelly Doughnut
8th Jun 2005, 10:53
Dynamite
Ryanair offer come kind of self-sponsored type rating deal. Also try Mk airlines, they are looking for JAR crew and your experience will be useful to them.
I assume you plan to convert your ATPL directly by doing a UK-approved type rating, rather than convert your CPL?

:ok:

dynamite dean
8th Jun 2005, 11:04
Thanks for that, I certainly try MK so long as we both dont have to relocate into Africa! again:E

Cap Loko
8th Jun 2005, 13:20
Dynamite Dean,

Couldn't agree more;
Last year I was in the same position as you.Came back to Europe from Africa (2yrs), >2600 TT, B1900 captain. Now I'm 10 months further and still no job, altough it looks like something appears on the horizon.

I have been thinking about an ATR typerating considering my experience and will probably go for it if I don't have a job soon.

good luck!

ps. MK sounds like a good choice. Some similar experienced guys like us starting there. Don't know how fare they are with the JAR approval. I believe their next recruitment near the end of the year so count on long term planning regarding to start a career with them.

south coast
8th Jun 2005, 17:41
you are right about being linched(spelling) in the wannabees forum, but i have been in the same boat as you guys, should i, shouldn't i buy a rating...

finally got in with a company in europe, starting in august, and do not have to pay for the rating.

ask your hawker co-pilot with the grey hair...

i guess if you go for it, the only things you have to remember is...

still not 100% certain a type rating will get you a job

you will have a rating with no time on type

so long as you are prepared to gamble with those factors in mind, do it, the guys with 200 hours total time are, and if they think it worth it, with +-2500 hours, one would think you stand a good chance of something coming up.

Bokkenrijder
8th Jun 2005, 19:23
Try NetJets! You donīt have to pay.

Otherwise easyJet will be desperate for pilots in the summer. (educated guess :suspect: )

Ryanair will also need people.

Give Jet2 a call.

Heard Air Atlanta Icelandic is looking for people and you can make a deal with them to pay for a 747 type.

Jelly Doughnut
9th Jun 2005, 01:29
SC you bandito finally made it!
Where/what?
:ok:

Cap Loko
9th Jun 2005, 14:11
south coast, congrats on the new job!