PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire or Hurricane available in Nevada?

Spotting Bad Guys
7th Jun 2005, 23:57
Ladies and gents

I am organising an event in Southern Nevada, to be held in October that requires either a Spitfire or Hurricane flypast.

I'd be grateful if anyone could put me in touch with any operators of either aircraft that may be able to put an appearance in for us.

Many thanks

SBG

treadigraph
8th Jun 2005, 07:12
Try Steve Hinton at Planes of Fame/The Air Museum/Chino Warbirds at Chino - they have a very nice airworthy Mk IX Spitfire and Hurricane.

Bob Pond's collection (Palm Springs Air Museum) at Palm Springs has a Spitfire XIV. Those are probably the closest to Nevada.... Hope this is of some help.

Do a google on either, should pick up their web-sites.

Treadders

Spotting Bad Guys
16th Jun 2005, 05:49
Thanks Treaders

I'll get in touch with them.

Cheers

SBG

Spotting Bad Guys
28th Jul 2005, 03:59
So, it's been a few weeks and I've had no luck so far. Chino don't accept approaches to the owner/operator of their Spitfire and Hurricane and I've been unable to track down any others.

I'd be grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of the owner of a flying Spitfire or Hurricane in Western USA, with an aim to providing a flypast/short display.

Many thanks all.

SBG

PaperTiger
28th Jul 2005, 15:14
List of airworthy Spits here (http://www.militaryairshows.co.uk/spitaw.htm).
I have seen TE308 at various shows, but you'll have to do your own legwork finding the owners' addresses/phone numbers.

Googling the civil reg (N-number) will get you the official FAA registrations.

Onan the Clumsy
29th Jul 2005, 16:03
I went to Denver yesterday and I got a flyer that listed Mile High Warbird - a two seater that you can get rides in. It says "Expensive, but a very rare treat". It's based in Aspen.

This number 303.527.1122 is a general number for someone who's fronting glider rides, biplane rides, tandem parachute jumps etc and created the flyer. You would do better to try and call the Spitfire people directly if you can to avoid the middleman, though on the other hand, I suppose I wouldn't have seen this if it wasn't for them. Whatever, you can make that call.

I have an url off the flyer as well if you want it.

treadigraph
29th Jul 2005, 16:11
Onan's post refers to TE308 I think - owner is Bill Greenwood.

Treadders

Spotting Bad Guys
29th Jul 2005, 22:47
Thanks chaps - Bill is one of the names I have been trying to get a number for, along with Dave Price.

I'll call and let you know the results.

Cheers

SBG

treadigraph
29th Jul 2005, 23:31
Good luck mate with TE308 - so far as I know Dave Price has disposed of his Spitfires and most of his other real assets; the IX has gone to Brazil and the XIV to Canada.

Spotting Bad Guys
30th Jul 2005, 14:59
Thanks Treaders,

I've now been in touch with Dave Price's assistant and it looks as if his collection has been spread to the four winds...

Waiting on a call back from Mile High. They tell me that the price for a back-seat ride in TE308 is about $2400 for 40 minutes, but of course we're talking about a transit from Aspen to Nevada on top - if he's willing to accept.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers

SBG

Spotting Bad Guys
18th Aug 2005, 05:42
Update as at 17th Aug:

I've spoken now with Steve Hinton and Bill Greenwood. Bill is keen to bring TE308 to Nevada but it's not going to be cheap....!:(
Now all I have to do is crack the funding! Still, for a short display and a 30-minute back-seat ride, we should be able to whip up something.

Thanks all for your help so far.

Cheers

SBG