PDA

View Full Version : Dublin a little faster but worse where it matters

Irish Steve
7th Jun 2005, 21:05
Ok, they've got the queues down to about 40 minutes on an early Saturday morning, but at the expense of making the airside security check a nightmare for any elderly or infirm passengers.

They've also removed the centre set down pavement from the departure road, but that's done nothing to speed up the system, at 0530 on Saturday, the queue to get up on to the set down road was back beyond the traffic lights where the "old" and "new" road merge, and not moving that well, so we took the simple way out and walked up to the terminal from the roundabout, and let the person dropping us off avoid the mess. That saved at least 10 minutes, but is only an option for passengers that can get themselves and the bags up the slope, so a non starter for elderly or infirm.

With the centre pedestrian reserve removed, the set down road is now even more dangerous than it was, although the good side of that is certain people are now going to have to find somewhere new to park, as they won't be able to park in the middle any more. For a logn time, there have been people that were invisible to the clampers, at least they can't get away with that any more.

Getting into the terminal at the "1" end was a nightmare, the queue from the EI/BMI check in area was so long, it was blocking the door, and there was only one very restricted access point in the entire doorway that could be used, so even getting in to the terminal was a severe hassle, and that was with hand luggage only, people with any size of hold luggage were struggling to even get in the door.

To give them credit, FR checkin were fast, less than 5 minutes there.

Next hassle now starts

After queuing for about 40 minutes, to get from checkin to airside now requires that passengers remove outer coat, shoes, hats and trouser belt. They all go through the scanner, and arrive the other side. You don't find this out until you are within 10 people of the scanner, so you have to now try to remove these items from a queue that's moving at a slightly faster rate, as it's been split 6 ways.

The passenger now goes through the arch, and has to retrieve their belongings from the discharge chute of the bag scanner.

First problem is that there's a perspex shield blocking a substantial part of it, probably to prevent things being stolen, so even reaching your items is not easy.

The next, and to me more fundamental problem is that there's damn all chairs or seats or even benches for people to use to replace their shoes.

I'm fit, and can cope with replacing shoes without a seat. There are many who cannot, but there is nothing worth talking about to facilitate passengers with reduced mobility, and remember, at this stage, you've also to replace your trouser belt, so moving too far is not a good idea.

There are other issues.

Pre the security scan, there's a barrier system that Disney would be proud of. Only snag is that some of it is not that readily removed in a hurry, either because it's aluminium barriers, rather than the flexible car belt type, or it's the belt type, but instead of being clipped on to the pole, it's been tied, so removing it in the event of an emergency will be a serious problem, and to me, this is a Heatlh & Safety issue that's in urgent need of attention. Trying to get several hundred people out of the area of the queue with aluminium barriers all over the place on the floor will cause injury or worse if it's having to be done in a genuine emergency.

Then you go down to the A pier. We were on gate 2. In that area, there are 3 gates for boarding. Each gate was host to an aircraft at least the size of a 737-200.

For 3 gates, there was a massive queue management system on each, more of the famous aluminium barriers on posts, so that they can "channel" people into the right line for boarding and try to avoid the rugby scrum around the gate door that otherwise develops.

So, there is a massive floor area occupied by barriers, and for 3 gates, about 50 seats. Given that there were 3 aircraft to be loaded, each seating over 110 people, that's a pretty high shortfall in seating, especially if there's close on an hour to kill before boarding.

PA announcements. These might as well have been in Klingon, with the combination of non Irish national accents, and the appalling quality of the equipment being used, 90% of them were a waste of time, as they simply could not be understood.

So, a good while after the famous audit failure that provoked the most recent changes, the situation hasn't improved much in most areas.

Despite the best efforts of the FR staff, the 0620 STN flight was at least 20 minutes late pushing, which looked like it was caused by missing passengers. We were travelling to BRS, 0640, and we got off blocks reasonably close to time.

So, summary.

The check in area is appallingly bad, over congested, the queue management system is dangerous, and the way the queues block the entrance is also dangerous.

The removal of the central pedestrian walkway from the set down road is also not going to help safety, there's even more ways now for passengers and vehicles to get mixed up in unsafe ways, and it's going to be even harder for passengers with reduced mobility to be able to get out of the vehicle in safety, and even more difficult for them to find a cart for their bags, and they'll have to thread their way through many more vehicles without the protection of a dedicated walkway.

At peak periods, they have to try and get a passenger through each scan arch at a rate of one every 5 seconds or so, assuming all the arches are operational and reliable. That's the only reason I can see for inconveniencing people by requiring the removal of things like trouser belts, to reduce the number of "false" positive scans, as they can't afford the time to check people properly in that case.

The removal of so many items of clothing from a passenger who is infirm, can't move very well, and who may also risk the indignity of losing clothing if their belt is removed is an insult and unacceptable.

I doubt that the DAA employ many people with reduced mobility, or with limited lifting capability, or with other restrictions that make it harder for them to deal with Dublin Airport. That's the only reason I can see for some of the supposed improvement that have been made recently. For the able bodied, they may work, though I doubt it. For the rest, I fear that there will be a significant increase in accidents and injury to passengers who are already at a disadvantage.

I don't know where we start lobbying, but lobbying is needed, before someone is killed by some of these crazy changes.

Sumatra
7th Jun 2005, 22:28
Check in 1830. Family departing (3 children in tow) DUB on bank holiday Fri 03 July.

Child needed to go to the bathroom. Toilet closed in departures!!. Told to use alternative facilities upstairs. Ran to escalator, escalator not working!!! Ran pushing stroller to lift. Ran to upstairs toilet. To my amazement, sign said closed for cleaning!!! Too late!!

Two hours to kill. Children now starving.

What I'd call the main restaurant was closed - it was only 19:15 on a bank holiday Friday!!
Next door to avail of their offer of a Pizza and Chips - no chips because their fryer is in the restaurant next door which was closed! So settled for Pizza.
Next a coffee - had to go to another cafe. You guessed it closed. Next one sorry coffee machine not working. At last found a cappuccino bar - no decaf but at this stage who cares.

A sign on the litter covered dining area invited customers to call a mobile number if they were not completely satisfied with the facilities.

To security. Most difficult to remove ones belt and shoes then try to handle three children whilst trying to get dressed again. It appears they have discovered what they think is a novel way of speeding up the line through the metal detector. You can now slide through security thanks to the slippiness of the floor created by foot perspiration contributed by the masses of great unwashed.

Tranquillity at last in the BMI lounge. (lucky its BMI because the AnaLivia lounge closed at 19:00 whoever runs that)

Arrived LHR and our priority baggage arrived last. They blamed Aviance in DUB as it happens all the time because they don't pack the baggage properly.

I know it takes a lot of cogs to make an airport work but Dublin does appear to have its fair share of broken cogs. Perhaps we were unlucky but don't tell me the same management is being given the job to run Dublin's second terminal?

DUBXH
9th Jun 2005, 11:55
You say this like it is a suprise !

DAA = Aer Rianta

Aer Rianta = useless

You should know this by now Steve !!

Get used to it and get over it :)

Faire d'income
11th Jun 2005, 18:22
There is no simple reason for the kaleidoscope of chaos that is Dublin Airport.

To totally blame the pathetic Aer Rianta would be nice but the politicians were responsible for that board's ineptness. Party lackeys were appointed despite no aviation expertise whatsoever. They were terrified of ever making a decision.

The DAA haven't been there long but at least they react to problems whereas in the past they were ignored for decades. The Departures road changes show an effort to address the obvious problem but it wont work and this week only added to the mess.
There are a number of problems with the road system that removing the island wont fix.
* No through road for through traffic
* Taxi/bus lane on left while taxi rank on right.
* Roundabout 100m before terminal has 3 lanes even though it is the size of a tractor tyre. The lanes are useless and dangerous.

The security problem has a number of causes not least the government wing of the Neo-Con fascist businessmen across the big pond. Whereas Aer Rianta typically did nothing the new Authority have overreacted and security is now at Bush-visit levels of paranoia. Sadly things look unlikely to change and will probably get worse.

Thanks to the PD folly of a 'Competing terminal' there has been yet a further delay to any work on a new pier or terminal. This is really the crux of the problem. The DAA cannot run itself like a proper business without some vested interest sticking a spanner in its works. In this case the O'Leary/McEvaddy liking minister for Ryanair.

Does anyone think his Learyness would pay for higher quantity and quality ( this is also an issue ) security staff in his own terminal. Anyone who has noticed the ever increasing holding delays at Dub might remember his objection to the building of a parallel runway.

Todays papers suggest the minister is thinking of lumbering DAP with Cork Airports debts. What chance does the DAA have?

:{

MarkD
14th Jun 2005, 14:53
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1415801&issue_id=12616

excerpt below:

RYANAIR yesterday brought High Court proceedings challenging a new scheme for the allocation of take-off and landing facilities at Dublin Airport.

Bill Shipsey for Ryanair, was granted leave to bring proceedings aimed at overturning a decision by the Commission for Aviation Regulation, made on April 21 last, to redesignate Dublin Airport as a "co-ordinated" rather than "schedules facilitated" airport regarding the allocation of airport slots.

Dee747
3rd Aug 2005, 22:01
Can anyone local to DUB provide an update on the current delay/queue situation? Work colleague is flying out on Aer Lingus to Washington later this month (but travelling down from Belfast area to do so). Needs to know if it is worth coming down the night before to the Travelodge, or whether the delays are now not an issue, and he can leave home early on the morning of the flight and still expect to make a "normal" checkin and security procedure before a 10.30am departure?

Any current knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Flame
4th Aug 2005, 09:19
Dee747

To catch at 1030 flight at DUB my advice, is to be at the airport circa 0730-0800, bearing in mind that your friend will need to clear US Immigration at Pier B before boarding and, as with everything at DUB, it is now a disaster as well. I have not seen this before on pprune, but before one descends down to the INS area to clear Immigration, one has to que to have your documents checked by staff at the top of the stairs, it is not uncommon to see the lines stretch back almost to the start of the duty free area.

Remember that at that hour of the morning, heading west are..Continental, Delta, and EI to JFK and LAX and BOS following

Any more questions...feel free to ask

Faire d'income.........when will people realise that the DAA and Aer Rianta are one and the same thing, it was a change of name NOT a change of management at Dublin..!!!!!!

Visiting Dublin Airport....expect to que for checkin, security, US Immigration, food, toilets, bags, Irish Immigration,...if you need it at Dublin, the DAA have made sure you will que for it!!!!!!!!!

piston pete
6th Aug 2005, 10:36
I had the misfortune of flying into DUB last Sunday. It was the airport's busiest day of the year with 86,000 pax passing through. The baggage hall was the biggest shambles I've seen. Our bags were originally supposed to be delivered on belt 4 but after a 20-30 minute nothing appeared and then an announcement was made that the bags would be on belt 2. There are two things they like to do a lot at DUB at short notice - change baggage belts and change departure gates. But this time it was impossible to get from belt 4 to belt 2 due to the sea of people travelling in the other direction meeting the people going in the other direction. Result - gridlock! Failte go hEireann.

Also, I always find myself clearing and cleaning tables in the restaurants just so I can get a table to eat at. They charge enough for the food, they could at least clean up for their customers.

End of senile rant. :D

akerosid
6th Aug 2005, 15:08
Just saw this story on Airliners.net, from the Bermudian (Bermudan?) Royal Gazette ...

http://www.theroyalgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050805/MIDOCEAN/108050149

We'll recognise most of it; it seems to become worse every day and what is most distressing is that there appears to be absolutely no interest at govt level; we get fairly tepid, well meaning comments, but there's no real direction at govt level, which makes it far easier for the DAA to make a complete mess of things. Really, what is needed is a dedicate, ground up approach; bring in international managers and get things moving. If that means ruffling feathers, so be it.

Chances of this: zilch. :(

jetfour
8th Aug 2005, 13:51
Travelled through Dublin outbound on the 23rd July and inbound on the 6th August.

Yes, the check-ins were overcrowded; the security check took 25 minutes (10 a.m.); the airside was overcrowded and the facilities under great strain BUT it all kept moving; the toilets were open and clean; the bars/cafes were packed and untidy but bearable; the gate was changed at the last minute - but it was news too to the Excel flight crew who waited with the pax at both gates.

Inbound, landed at 14:15; bags off belt 4 at 14:40; caught Aircoach with 10 minutes to spare at 15:00! Impressive.

My point? You should have seen Verona - Villafranca at the other end - especially the departure. Can't begin to imagine how you could sort that shambles out short of starting from scratch. (Ditto Naples) Made Dublin positively attractive!

Yes, it could be better, but on the evidence of my own experience, it could be a b****y sight worse!