PDA

View Full Version : Mumps!

tablet_eraser
7th Jun 2005, 19:02
Oh nooooo! Outbreaks of mumps on RAF stations seem to be peaking. I hear Lyneham, Leuchars, Boulmer and Coningsby are affected badly. How did this happen?

Anyone with any firmer stats? Would be interesting to hear, say, who's worst affected, how long it's been going on, what's being done about it, etc.

kippermate
7th Jun 2005, 19:17
A lower then expected take-up of the MMR jab probably had something to do with it.

kipper.

ZH875
7th Jun 2005, 21:13
Or a higher takeup of the Anthrax jab

Incipient Sinner
7th Jun 2005, 21:55
Don't even start!!!

The schools had it at the start of the year, it's on the list of jabs for Service personnel and it'll burn out soon enough given a short while. No need to get panicky.

MrBernoulli
8th Jun 2005, 07:03
Didn't have a mumps vaccine when I was a young child on the Dark Continent. Caught mumps and dealt with it. Sisiter was ill at the same time. Several days off school - hurrah!

teeteringhead
8th Jun 2005, 07:20
But isn't mumps .... ahem .... a little more serious for mature men (should be all right for aircrew then!)

VitaminGee
8th Jun 2005, 08:18
It is. The last adult I saw with mumps (aircrew curiously enough!) was carrying his .....er..... more sensitive parts in a wheelbarrow!!

Green Bottle 2
8th Jun 2005, 12:00
I believe the complication is called Orchitis.

GB2

ORAC
8th Jun 2005, 12:36
As opposed to ouchitis.....

VitaminGee
8th Jun 2005, 13:09
Also known as didymitis.

(Which, up to now, is what I thought Ken Dodd suffered from!!)

VG

SASless
8th Jun 2005, 13:22
I thought all helicopter pilots required wheelbarrows!

Circuit Basher
8th Jun 2005, 13:35
SASless - the wheelbarrows are only required for their egos!!! ;)

For any other appendages, the pen pocket on the sleeve of their flying suit would usually do, so I hear!! ;) :E

(I may absent myself from Mil Aircrew for a few weeks!! :E )
Only joking, guys - luckily my local SAR unit is civvie, so I may stand a chance!!

SASless
8th Jun 2005, 14:07
The Air Force Fighter Pilot Prayer

Lord grant me the wings of an Eagle,

The heart of a Lion,

The eyes of a Hawk,

and the Balls of an Army Helicopter Pilot!