PDA

View Full Version : Evacuation initiated by Cabin Crew

TE RANGI
7th Jun 2005, 16:20
We can all imagine scenarios where the cabin crew would have to initiate an evacuation without the order from the captain.

There is some controversy however, in some airlines,
as to the specific wording for this situation.

I would appreciate your comments on this. What does your book specifically say, and how ample is the decision margin left to the cabin crew?

Thanks all.

pamann
7th Jun 2005, 16:30
If the flames are burning holes in your lovely blue "all-in-one" run like f%*@ and get out!
Shouting the words "follow me!" and screaming when you see flames often adds to the drama.
Take a gucci handbag to bash your way through the "Burberry clad brigade" to get to the door kicking children out the way as you go.
No seriously, don't be a hero! If you need to evacuate then get out. :D :D :D :D

BYMONEK
7th Jun 2005, 17:06
There was a well known quote from one of the surviving Cabin Crew ( or 'Flight Attendants' as they like to be known in the US) from the United Airlines Soiux City DC-10 crash.
"When the smoke gets too thick, when the flames get too hot, or when the water gets too deep......then it's time to go."
That's good advice!

VirginFSM
7th Jun 2005, 18:19
At VS cabin crew will initiate evacuation if:

Major fire inside or outside a/c

Unusual attitiude of a/c where remaining on board is likely to cause injury or death

Ditching

Dense smoke in cabin

Sounds/signs of a/c breaking up.

They will stay onboard to evac pax of course but have to bear own safety in mind at all times and leave if in doubt at all.

Cheers

VirginFSM

ps, on G-VSKY that landed at LHR on 5/11/97 with partial main gear failure the Inflight Beauty Therapist (Helen) was the last to evacuate after all other pax and cabin crew!

flybywire
7th Jun 2005, 18:35
We must initiate an evacuation even without captain's prompt/evac alarm in CATASTROFIC situations (Ditching, Crash landing, fire/dense smoke present in the cabin) or if another crew member has initiated it (I might not see what's going on at the other end of the aircraft).

3holer
7th Jun 2005, 19:21
TE RANGI

At my company, an emergency evacuation procedure shall be carried on any time there is evidence of fire risk inside the airplane, or in any other situation that, at the captain discretion, it is judged necessary.

It can be done by EVIDENCE or Hierarchy

EVIDENCE
It shall be evident that an evacuation should be carried on when:
· there is fire or intense smoke in or outside the cabin;
· the final operation of aircraft is in the water;
· the aircraft structure has been extensively damaged.

HIERARCHY
Hierarchy will be taken into consideration to iniate an evacuation when:
· after aircraft stops, and the fuselage has no damage, even with an abnormal attitude (Partial
collapse of landing gear);
· fire in the engine.

Should the Captain decide not to proceed with an emergency evacuation, he must then notify the
Purser, if necessary, through P.A.System, using the following phraseology:

In a non prepared abnormal situation, after the aircraft comes to a complete stop, preferably, the Purser shall go in the cockpit to check its integrity and the crewmembers consciousness state. In order to do so the Purser will have to open the cockpit door ****** ****** ******. At this moment he/she should coordinate along with the captain whether an evacuation would be necessary or not. If all cockpit crew members are incapacitaded, it will then be up to the Purser to decide whether he/she shall initiate or not the aircraft evacuation.

Hope this info might be useful.

3holer

3holer - Sorry to edit you, but prolly best not to publish evac commands and eqpt locations in public?

cdb
7th Jun 2005, 20:25
3holer, perhaps you should remove the reference to the position of the key used to open the cockpit door!

flybywire
7th Jun 2005, 20:56
I agree....anybody can read these forums :ouch:

KiloMIke
7th Jun 2005, 22:45
Pammy did you go up the spiral staircase to get your Gucci handbag??

TE RANGI
8th Jun 2005, 10:32
Thank you for your kind and informative responses.

Virgin:

VS policy seems very sensible. Ours is quite similar except that the word Major or Catastrophic does not appear in our book.

Just out of curiosity, is the Inflight Beauty Therapist rated as Cabin Crew? Is she stationed at an emergency exit for T/Os and landings?

Three Holer:

Thank you very much for reply. Just at what point one considers the situation evident enough to start an evac without waiting for a hierarchical command is the key.

Our manual says that (among other situations) the CC should carry out an emergency evac if Fire/Smoke are observed inside or outside the aircraft, and that's where I have some misgivings. It looks pretty ambigous to me for a say one month seniority attendant.

Does anyone have the figures of how many % evacuations are carried out unnecessarily? Better safe than sorry, of course...

pamann
8th Jun 2005, 12:38
I sent Lilly to get the Gucci DKNY handbag from first class.
:D :D :D :D :D

KiloMIke
8th Jun 2005, 13:02
Lily??? Where was Suzi Wong??? :D

pamann
8th Jun 2005, 22:37
she punctured the slide! Big slide! Wooosh Wooosh!
:D :D :D :D :D

ezpz
9th Jun 2005, 10:41
My manual says cabin crew would start an evac if the situation is catastrophic. This is defined as;

Uncontrolled smoke or fire
Ditching
Severe structral damage
Abnormal aircraft attitute (angle)

VirginFSM
9th Jun 2005, 18:09
To answer question, yes Inflight Beauty Therapists are trained in safety and medical to the same standards as other cabin crew. In day to day operations they do not have door responsibilities but they can if for example we are short of crew or someone wants to sit in the flight deck. They are cabin crew as far as the CAA and company are concerned.

Cheers