PDA

View Full Version : SA Breaks Arms Embargo on ZIMbobWE

Gunship
7th Jun 2005, 07:13
From News 24:Pretoria - Armscor has sold spare parts to the value of more than R1m to the Zimbabwean government, which will enable the country's Alouette helicopters to take to the air again despite European sanctions.

In addition, the South African government donated equipment to the value of more than R3m for this purpose to Zimbabwe.

A Zimbabwean company - which was, according to information, established by high-ranking members of the South African military community - will apparently undertake the upgrading of the helicopters.

Under normal circumstances, the National Conventional Arms Control Committee (NCACC) has to grant permission and issue a permit before military equipment can be exported to another country, but in this instance the regulation was waived as the NCACC regarded the transaction as a commercial and not a military matter.

The NCACC informed Armscor that it was not necessary for the committee to issue an export permit as the spare parts did not fall under the weapons control act, said Armscor spokesperson Bertus Cilliers.

The spares were advertised on Armscor's website as obsolete equipment and the Zimbabwean government made an offer to buy it, said Cilliers.

The spares were supplied to Zimbabwe in March this year.

The South African air force is in the process of phasing out its Alouette fleet, which will be replaced by new Italian helicopters.

The sale of the spare parts cropped up last year after Zimbabwe had tried in vain to obtain spare parts for its fleet of Alouette helicopters.

Several European countries have sanctions in place against Zimbabwe, which means that the country faces many closed doors.

Zimbabwe is furthermore on the United Nations' blacklist of countries to which no weapons may be sold.

Desperate for spares

Apparently an Israeli businessman initially acted as go-between for South Africa and Zimbabwe.

He apparently gave Zimbabwe a quotation of $20m (about R120m) for the spares, but the country decided it was too expensive and the transaction fell through.

As a result, a Zimbabwean company with high-placed South Africans as directors was established to continue negotiations for the parts.

Apparently a probe into this donation forms part of an investigation into alleged financial malpractice in Armscor.

Helmoed-Römer Heitman, military expert, said a military export permit should be issued whenever military helicopter spares were sold.

In the instance of a government-to-government donation, such as that of naval patrol boats to Mozambique, no permit was required.

Heitman said Zimbabwe was desperate for spares after its helicopters worked overtime in the civil war in the Democratic Republic of Congo a couple of years ago.

Several of the helicopters had been written off in the DRC and only a few were still serviceable due to a lack of proper maintenance.

B Sousa
7th Jun 2005, 08:00
Not a really unexpected bit of news, but it should piss off some folks in SA based on Zims treatment of some recently...........

Gunship
7th Jun 2005, 13:20
..then again it was an EU / Europe / USA embargo ...

Africa is Africa swaer .. :E

B Sousa
7th Jun 2005, 16:05
So Guns, what are we saying here. It didnt apply to SA so it was OK??......Good for business in SA??
Whats even seems worse to me is to see your SA folks in bed with the guy they say they cannot stand.
Its not that Zim is a threat to anyone, for sure, its just one minute everyone in SA wants to see Bob outta there, then they sell him more toys.....
Beyond all that, Im sure that some folks made a Sh1tpot of R for their own pockets.....

SASless
7th Jun 2005, 16:15
Guns...

At risk of ruining my reputation....did that sort of thing not take place years ago....when it was Rhodesia and SA had a different government?

I seem to remember some ex-Israeli Bells or something.....and some O-2's.....

Mind you I was considering the offer of a Flight Leftenantcy appointment at the time myself.

Some things never change in Africa....just the players.

Gunship
7th Jun 2005, 16:53
Exactly SASless .. exactly ... remember how the Israeli's and Chileans helped us when the rest of the world retracted .. including aunty Maggie :E

We will not go into the Savimbi days now and mention names will we :suspect:

:ok:

Have a good one !

Gunship
8th Jun 2005, 10:52
The Democratic Alliance and Zimbabwean civic groups have expressed their outrage at South Africa's sale of helicopter spares to Zimbabwe.

Zimbabwean Air Force Alouette helicopters hovered over Harare on Tuesday in a show of force ahead of a two-day strike which is due to begin on Thursday.

Zimbabwe turned to South Africa for the spare parts after France, where the helicopters were initially acquired, refused to sell the parts because of the European Union arms embargo on the Mugabe government.

Zimbabwe's main opposition party, the Movement for Democratic Change, said the sale confirmed what it had always said: "South Africa is aiding and abetting the Mugabe regime in its systematic destruction of Zimbabwe.

"We have a regime that goes on buying sprees of arms and their spares in China and South Africa when its people are starving and it has no fuel," said MDC secretary-general Welshman Ncube.

"South Africa obviously sees nothing wrong in how Mugabe abuses the security forces against the nation."

Democratic Alliance defence spokesperson Rafiek Shah said it was morally outrageous for Armscor to sell spare helicopter parts to replenish the armoury of a country that was virtually waging war "against its own defenceless citizens".

"What message are we sending to the international community if President Thabo Mbeki's government keeps on allowing South African institutions to aid a thoroughly discredited regime like President Robert Mugabe's?" Shah asked.

Armscor spokesperson Bertus Celliers confirmed the sale in an interview with Independent Newspapers on Tuesday.

An Afrikaans daily had originally reported the story.

Celliers stressed that Armscor had sold only spare parts and not entire Alouette helicopters.

The spares included rotor blades, windscreens "and other such similar parts", he said.

The sale was concluded in March.

Celliers said the sale was not in contravention of the National Conventional Arms Control Committee, which must issue prior authorisation for any sales of military equipment abroad. NCACC regulations did not prevent the sale of spare military parts, he said.

Zimbabwean National Constitutional Assembly spokesperson Lovemore Madhuku, who is spokesperson of the alliance calling for Thursday's strike, said Armscor should come and see the Alouettes at work against innocent civilians "whose only crime would be to try and stage peaceful protests".

"When they (Armscor) see people being brutally beaten during the strike on Thursday and Friday, they should know they have played a crucial role in strengthening Mugabe's hand. They should feel happy for their efforts," he said.

Zimbabwe normally uses its Alouettes to co-ordinate the efforts of security forces in crushing protests during demonstrations. Teargas is also fired from the air.

Zimbabwe's helicopter squadron has been effectively grounded after being damaged in the Democratic Republic of Congo and hampered by poor maintenance because of the lack of spare parts. But South Africa's help will ensure the squadron is airborne.

As the strike to protest against Mugabe's "senseless repression" looms, Zimbabwean police spokesperson Wayne Bvudzijena vowed that the police would deal ruthlessly with anyone participating in the protests.

The protests were called to highlight the plight of more than 22 000 arrested informal traders and the destruction of informal settlements that has left thousands homeless. - Independent Foreign Service

B Sousa
8th Jun 2005, 15:11
Thanks Guns
Although I cannot mention my thoughts here as to who is aiding(its not politically correct as it would involve xxxx xxxxx) Beyond that it sounds like some of your old friends are sell-outs.
I rest my case...............

Solid Rust Twotter
8th Jun 2005, 15:18
Aren't governments usually attacked mercilessly by the rest of the world for aiding brutal regimes?

Just asking...:rolleyes:

BAKELA
8th Jun 2005, 16:03
As long as certain companies also sticks to certain certifications (by the US and the UK) they might have obtiained? Just my pound of flesh.

V1 Rotate
9th Jun 2005, 21:32
Can't beleive the Slimeball French refused to sell the parts to Mugabe......morelike the South African price was better.
I wonder in what other ways Mugabe is being propped up by his freinds and admirers??
V1:confused: :confused:

Solid Rust Twotter
9th Jun 2005, 21:46
Wasn't there a huge fuel bill for Zim the SA taxpayer picked up on behalf of our beloved president a while back?:yuk: :yuk:

Gunship
12th Jun 2005, 08:56
Well it must be remembered that SA is phasing out the Alo (sadly) and last i was there in the loop - there was zillions of spares left.
So I am also sure - therefore the price.

Saying that - when we needed a clutch the cheapest was in SA at $36k ! :*

B Sousa
12th Jun 2005, 12:15
Funny thing about that aircraft as it slowly disappears into history. Its still a popular and economic Sling Aircraft here in the states. Mainly used in high places or seismic survey. Im betting a few owners would love to have some spares here.

Gunship
12th Jun 2005, 13:09
Still very well used in the Swiss Alps as well .. real workaholic :ok:

ettamakwetta
13th Jun 2005, 12:07
Hi Folks

I think people should start naming and shaming these folks. I know there would probably be some legal issues, but I guess their families would be annoyed with them if they knew what they were really up to. It saddens me to see people going to the other side (I almost used a Star Wars description, and then realised that it might be offensive), just because they think the only way to get on in SA nowadays is to bribe and cheat.

Ta

EttaMakwetta

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Jun 2005, 17:53
Etta

That would require them to have a conscience.....