PDA

View Full Version : Qantaslink Recruiting and the $$$$$

Hatchet Harry
7th Jun 2005, 07:07
It's been interesting to follow the pay for a job saga at Sunnies and EAA..... Does anyone know what the latest is on the recruitment front?

Have they dropped the $18k for the endorsement yet?

Are they getting enough people to cough up for a start?

I had a sim/interview booked when this all came about and would still like the job..... but I withdrew my Application when I was told how much they were asking for:( :( :(

I just didn't have that sort of dough......:confused: :confused:

grrowler
7th Jun 2005, 21:29
I believe they are struggling a little to find people who are willing to pay the money (dropped to 10K at the moment i think) and still have the intelligence to pass all the recruiting steps.

Wait it out for a bit and i reckon you'll see the price drop further n further. All my mates have pulled their applications out.

Erin Brockovich
8th Jun 2005, 00:37
Keep the pressure on lads. It’s just a matter of time that this sh$t stops being peddled as industry standard practice! Wishful thinking but eventually the pay might go up as well to attract suitable applicants.

I believe the balance of power is starting to shift.

Hatchet Harry
8th Jun 2005, 00:55
Seems that things are looking a bit better for the Pilot's for a change.... dropping the cost down to $10k is a step in the right direction....

Still a rort though....

I posted on another topic about 1st year F/O pay at Sunnies being just over $47k and according to the EAA EBA I noticed that a 1st year F/O gets just over $44k.... Is this correct:confused:

Less money to live in Sydney:confused: :confused: :confused:

KID Quality
8th Jun 2005, 01:31
If Dad paid $20K do I get 2 goes?

Hatchet Harry
8th Jun 2005, 10:21
I think that you get a bunch of flowers on completion if you pay $20k...... and a showbag containing a sticker, key ring and pen.........:O :O :O

Does anyone have an accurate idea of a first year F/O's pay???

Chris Higgins
8th Jun 2005, 11:25
...and a sticker that says, "Two years ago, I could not spell pilot, but now I am one!"

KID Quality
8th Jun 2005, 12:34
Seriously though I would encourage Dad .................afterall he has known me better than anyone else possibly could! As he always has said "Virgil......you can do anything you choose!!!

VH-ABC
8th Jun 2005, 15:40
How about everyone that has an application in with EAA and Sunstate through pilot.staffcv just withdraws???

Would this affect their recruitment to any major extent?

Would be a nice stand to make by us all... working as a united front.

Mr.Buzzy
8th Jun 2005, 19:31
"Two years ago, I could not spell pilot, but now I am one!"

Chris,
your attempt at slandering junior pilots is only foiled by your incorrect quoting of the bumber sticker. It reads ( on my bumper anyway )

"2 years ago, I could not spell pilot, now I ARE one"

Apparently there is also sticker mentioning problems of spelling "Aviater, Aviata, Aviatur" as well

bbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Boomerang
8th Jun 2005, 23:08
First year F/O SYD, average allowances, 52K net 41K gross.

Transition Layer
8th Jun 2005, 23:30
Boomerang,

Think you meant the other way around, 52k gross and 41k net. We all knew what you meant anyway ;)

TL

swh
9th Jun 2005, 02:57
You would pay $12,552.00 in tax on 52k taking into account medicare, sounds closer to 39k to me.

Erin Brockovich
9th Jun 2005, 03:52
Plus 10k for endo. Now closer to 29k. Wow what a deal!

Boomerang
9th Jun 2005, 05:08
TL is right. The 52K is all up including average allowances. Some allowances aren't taxed, hence a slightly better than expected after tax amount.

Hatchet Harry
9th Jun 2005, 06:27
Thanks Boomerang, much appreciated info:ok: :ok: :ok:

What's going to happen with the Q400's????

Are Qantas going to give the Q'Link Pilot's a pay rise to fly the Bigger machine???

and are only a selected few gonna fly the new toys......

and does anyone know how many are going to Sunnies and how many to EAA????

Too many questions from me:ouch: :ouch: :ouch: :ouch:

Bill Smith
9th Jun 2005, 07:20
With 2 pays to go until the end of the financial year I have paid around $10,500 tax and cleared $38,100.

Living in Sydney on one wage. It is a sobering experience! Actually I just can't afford to drink is more to the point.

Hopefully the superb efforts of the EPG will come to fruition and we will be paid closer to what we are worth.

If you were wondering if you could work harder and get a little extra, well I am sitting on about 850 hours for the year.

Great job, Great Guy's PAY :mad:

Pimp Daddy
9th Jun 2005, 08:20
and does anyone know how many are going to Sunnies and how many to EAA????

Lastest rumours around the traps is all 7 to Sunnies, and they'll fly them out of Sydney too.

Much wailing and gnashing of teeth over that one.

Certainly first 4 to Sunnies, who knows after that.

Given there are 5 or 6 -100s to be traded I dunno what that would mean if the Q400s all went to Sunnies.

DeafStar
9th Jun 2005, 08:49
Sunnies to fly the q400 out of Sydney? Where did you get that gem of info.

All I heard was Sunnies to get the first 4 and maybe all 7.

Pimp Daddy
9th Jun 2005, 09:07
Sunnies to fly the q400 out of Sydney? Where did you get that gem of info.

Well if they get all seven and they operate out of Sydney then it kind of fits doesn't it?

KID Quality
9th Jun 2005, 11:26
The 50K gross is only for those who stick on type............ie I'm sure toB be moving onto the BIG JET fleet time swiftly. Currnet Pilot shortage is also bound to drive demand, simple economic's really. :)

Hatchet Harry
9th Jun 2005, 12:43
Sunnies to get all seven.... and operate out of Sydney:confused:

Is this because Sunstate have agreed to do it cheaper???

Or is this one of those tricks to divide and conquer.... Turn the EAA people against Sunnies and in turn get them to fly the thing for less money:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

I also remember the talk last year about EAA and Sunnies merging into one company..... What happened there????

b55
9th Jun 2005, 21:51
Perhaps Sunnies not flying "out" of Sydney but "through",i.e.
Brisbane-Canberra-Sydney-Canberra-Brisbane. EAA used to fly the Newcastle-Brisbane-Newcastle. Maybe its more the idea of
cost savings on having only one maintenance base, possible simulator base-crew savings, etc.

Otis B Driftwood
10th Jun 2005, 01:49
The Eastern Pilots will be a bit piss#d off if Sunnies get the new toy:p :p :p

Are you guys going to get a bit of a pay rise for flying a 30 tonne aircraft with 70 odd seats or are you just going to have to do it for love????

I was considering applying to EAA if and when they remove the $10k upfront deal..... But I'd love to fly the Q400:D :D :D

Please call me Sunstate:ok:

Chris Higgins
10th Jun 2005, 02:35
Thanks Buzzy! I'll be sure to get the new bumper stickers corrected and sent to QF Link at Mascot ASAP.

spinout
10th Jun 2005, 02:50
My guess is that Qantaslink will stitch-up a pay deal with the Sunstate Pilots as they believe them to be a soft touch, and then merge Eastern and Sunstate under the Sunstate AOC……
Hopefully reason will prevail and Sunstate pilots will join with the Eastern Pilots and get a good for all, and not believe the Bull Shiite form the AFAP…..and their servants.

Keg
10th Jun 2005, 03:15
ROFL. What I love about this thread and others is that everyone is just ignoring the kid's pathetic attempts at a wind up. Just brilliant to watch! Keep winding Kid. Nothing on the line yet but you just keep throwing it out there. Who knows, maybe you'll hook someone eventually. I wonder if that'll make up for the fact that everyone else had you pegged from your very first post! :E :E :E

Otis B Driftwood
11th Jun 2005, 09:42
Having just read the thread again I noticed that one of the initial questions has been lost without any notable replies......

Are they struggling to find "suitable" candidates?????

if so we may be winning the fight... not the battle.... yet:( :( :(

So let's hear from those in the know:ok: :ok: :ok:

Otis B Driftwood
12th Jun 2005, 00:11
Thanks "Mr Jarse " :ok: :ok: :ok:

Just be interesting to know what is truth and what is rumour.....

Mind you rumours are more interesting :E :E :E

Erin Brockovich
12th Jun 2005, 03:48
This might be a rough indication. A friend who easily exceeds the QL minimums has been called by recruiting several times recently, but has had no response from REX. He has applied to both at the same time. It looks like REX are the ones with plenty suitable applicants, not QL. Only logic is needed. He took a job with neither and paid no endorsement fees to boot. :ok:

spinout
12th Jun 2005, 21:47
I imagine there are plenty of people who will pay for a DASH 8 endorsement with 500 hours………

;)

connection fee
14th Jun 2005, 08:48
So Sunnies want you to give them 10k, non refundible and no bond time, What is Rex asking for?
Thanks

chief wiggum
17th Jun 2005, 09:19
I believe that REX has a two year bond. Not sure of how much. Maybe someone that works there can fill us in ?

stainedpantystealer
17th Jun 2005, 23:14
Rex is a 2 year bond on $15K

permFO
18th Jun 2005, 11:54
There is a big difference between a bond and an upfront fee. QF have had a bond for years and it doesn't cause much grief.To make people pay for their endorsement just prop up their own bottom line should be the proverbial straw. Good on the people who have withdrawn their applications but I think the reality is a lot of people can't justify spending 10k or 18k just to earn what is a pathetic wage.

scrubed
18th Jun 2005, 16:16
Transition Layer:Think you meant the other way around, 52k gross and 41k net. We all knew what you meant anyway Actually Boomerang had it right.

Elementary. Confusing, I know but try to think of it like this, which is how I remember it:

You go to work to earn your dough, always full of hope that today will be the day you hop in and find a nice crew full of gorgeous young babes, just like it was always meant to be in the airlines.

Then someone snarls, "Here's ya bloody samich...!!!" And you look around to find the entire crew is comprosed of tired, haggard old boilers and flouncing queers.....

GROSS

Then you go home and decide to buy a slab of p!ss to calm your nerves and you stop at an ATM to check out how much is left in ya......

NET

Got it????? :ok:

Transition Layer
19th Jun 2005, 03:39
scrubed,

Thanks for that very amusing explanation of it all...BUT

If you re-read my post I think you'll find that we both agree. Boomerang had quoted a salary where the net salary was larger than the gross. Surely that can't be so.

Anyway it's all a little trivial now. Back to the original topic, a mate of mine who removed his application from EA after they announced the endo cost, has just got the thumbs up from REX and will no doubt happily sign his $15k/2yrs away because it is a reasonable arrangement. Good things can come if you stand your ground, so good on him.

Cheers,
TL