PDA

View Full Version : Routing Brazil-Japan

galleypower
6th Jun 2005, 23:13
Hi pprun'ers

Is there someone who could jump in for a route suggestion for a flight from Brazil to Japan?
Is it better to fly via the US and Alaska or via Europe, Russia to Japan? The second option seems to be a few more miles but probably with more tailwind...does anyone have experience withh such a planning?

Cheers
galleypower

Celestar
8th Jun 2005, 18:04
Done that routing a few years ago, via Europe. You get tail winds .. and anyway I would go via anywhere just to avoid any USA overflying/landing ... !

Cheers from GVA

aerojul
9th Jun 2005, 08:29
the shorter great circle route is the US one, but you'll have the winds ifo you. my routing system cannot help you on that stuff (we're operating turboprops ;) )

galleypower
10th Jun 2005, 03:33
Thanks guys for your tips. Wind and the avoidance of the US probably are two good reasons why to go via Europe....

So long

max payload
23rd Jun 2005, 22:03
the shorter great circle route is the US one

Here I am thinking that any distance between two points on a sphere can only be connected by one greatcircle...
I'm assuming we're talking two contending optimum tracks here.

Anyway, galleypower, let's assume GIG (say, 2249S14023E) and NRT (say, 3546N4315W), then that greatcircle runs due north, almost smack over the pole and then south to NRT, say, 167 degrees, some 10.000 NM or some 22 hours+ at LRC, zero wind.

Free tracking, single fuel stop: Greenland is nicely positioned on-track, with Iceland a little offset to the right.
Multi-stop (and airways) requirement: Azores (or even Africa), then as wind/temperature/greatcircle optimum as possible over the western hemisphere.
Fact remains that Earth is not a sphere, so a northern route is less distance, add to that predominantly western winds.
When looking at those upper wind charts (fading practice, I know), aside from jets have a lookout for big weather systems (storms, hurricanes) as they will greatly affect your optimum route, resulting in unexpected better routeings and groundspeeds.

But you knew all that already, right?

Cheers, Max :ok:

templar
28th Jun 2005, 18:47
Hi there..

I'm looking to pick up some info on long range nav, similar to the question asked in this post. I'm hoping someone can reccommend a book or website or point me in the right direction. I'd like to expand my knowledge on the subject as right now my experience is all short haul inter euro stuff. Any info at all greatly appreciated.

T +