PDA

View Full Version : Mike resigns as a Director of Origin Pacific

Ba!
6th Jun 2005, 23:01
I have just heard that Mike Pero has resigned as the Director Marketing and as a Director of the company with Origin Pacific Airways.

Dallas Hay the new CEO was quoted as saying "Mike intends to spend more time on other business related activities including Flight Experience Ltd and Pacific Simulators Intl Ltd, we thank him for his contrbution over the past year"

Bit of a shame as Mike seemed to be making some advances with the company I thought, but I quess Bob Inglis has got his ball cutter out again.

How long will the new CEO last given his missus only lasted 4 days as GM Passenger????

Long live Motueka Gold

:ok:

ZK-DAN
7th Jun 2005, 06:15
Thats deserves more than a Ba! I think a Baaaaaaiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!! is more appropriate

rescue 1
7th Jun 2005, 11:28
Not sure on the Directors responsibility within NZ law - if somewhat similar to OZ then Directors are accountable for losses...I hope that this is not a bad sign for Origin :confused:

MOR
7th Jun 2005, 18:25
What he really means is "Mike just worked out what a bad investment OP was, and is now desperate to get out".

Can't see him making much out of Pacific Simulators a.ka. Flight Experience... plywood Boeing mock-ups running MS Flight Sim software. Sure to be a big hit at 750,000 a copy!

Dashim
8th Jun 2005, 07:59
Seen Pacific Simulators? Quite good but the new one under construction - 737-800 is bloody awesome. It's a fair dinkum replica and every bit as good as the Air NZ one. No motion but full functioning FMC and detailed overhead panel. Don't knock it till ya see it. Heard that Mount Cook are using the 76' for pilot evaluation. Rumour has it that they will be running Air NZ's next to be retired 76 out of ZQN to SYD and back and they have been using it late at night for crew and route famils.

MOR
8th Jun 2005, 10:53
Yes I have seen it. It might look good, but without proper control feedback, dedicated software and complete systems implementation, it is just a fancy FS2004 controller.

Heard that Mount Cook are using the 76' for pilot evaluation.

You heard that from their thinly-disguised "announcement" in Wings (and elsewhere). As the 767 has no control feedback, uses Microsoft Flight Sim software, and most of the systems don't work, you can assume Mt Cooks requirement was pretty basic.

1279shp
9th Jun 2005, 06:41
MOR, yup the current 767 is bungee cords, spit and chewing gum, but come on it was built in the guys garage! Its pretty damn impressive. Got CAA's approval. And making a pretty penny too as an entertainment experience. Plus from crew training I believe.

As for the NG word is its a mind-blower. Make be hooked up to FS2004 but close to real most everywhere else.

As for 767 night ops, the machines aint worth dumping on a world market full of them, makes sense to keep operational for training purposes; night freight etc. :ok:

MOR
9th Jun 2005, 08:43
It may have got the CAA's approval, but then so do desktop machines. It would never get real certification (CASA, FAA or JAR). Besides, the CAA do not have a coherent policy when it comes to approving simulators. Call them up and ask them what it is...

The new one will only be certified to any meaningful level if the flight model is very close to the factory flight test data. That data is not available other than by purchasing it, and that costs millions.

Also, if they do continue to use a version of MS flight sim software, there is the small problem of the agreement you have to say "yes" to when you install the software... which prohibits its use for flight training.

To develop your own software takes years and costs millions. Ask the other companies that have done it - there is a reason why it is so jealously guarded.

Then there is the issue of copyright over the 737 design.

I have spent much of my career training in simulators, and there is a reason they cost so many millions...

Dashim
9th Jun 2005, 11:45
The 73' sim is a tidy peice of machinery. MOR, I think you should check it out. It's not what you think. The 73' is quite different to the earlier model sim. If you have followed the story as I have you would realise that the 767 was just built for fun. The new model is state of the art and has already generated considerable interest from NZ;PB;QF and BA apparantly. I think they've done a bloody good job and I say good on them. Kiwi ingenuity. As for Microsoft I understand it is an Italian software programme being used in their displays and that the visuals are unlikely to be MS. Time will tell but with direction and input in from a local international carrier who happens to be an up & coming launch customer for Boeing don't underestimate it's potential.

Maybe these guys are smarter than us. After all who's still working for an airline and who works for themselves?

MOR
9th Jun 2005, 12:07
The Italian software is the Enrico Schiratti stuff... see http://www.projectmagenta.com/

All designed to interface with MS Flight Sim.

If you look at that site above, you will see how easy it is these days to do this stuff... but not to a professional level.

Are these guys smarter than us? Not really. They got themselves in the crap, Pero bailed them out, and they have now lost control of their company to Pero. They are now essentially his employees.

Every man and his dog is building 737 sims in their garages, as you will find out if you check out some of these enthusiasts sites. There was even one on ebay a few months back. Getting one certified, and doing so at a lower price than all the others, now that's a good trick.

You continue to be dazzled, and I'll continue to be cynical.

Oh and BTW I'm not working for an airline any more, I am doing other aviation stuff... and not working for anybody else either.

Don Won
9th Jun 2005, 22:06
I haven't seen any of these sims, but good on em for giving it a go and good on Mike Pero for investing a bit of coin too soundz like good old kiwi ingenuity
I guess if we all had attituids like MOR we all might end up doing "other aviation stuff".:{

MOR
10th Jun 2005, 02:48
Interesting point of view from somebody with "knock shop" in their profile... :rolleyes:

There is nothing innovative going on here, it has all been done many times before. The technology is not new. There is no "ingenuity" on display here.

Nothing wrong with Kiwis taking on these things, I hope they make a go of it, but it isn't the wondrous invention you think it is.

mattathm
12th Jun 2005, 10:25
(Oh and BTW I'm not working for an airline any more, I am doing other aviation stuff... and not working for anybody else either.)

Just reading various threads on Pprune and I come across people who are so "full of it" information I mean, and strong voiced personal opinions that nobody is right apart from them.

Hey I could be talking about the biggest hits in aviation this side of the equator....but I dont think so.

Dont bag people for giving it a go.... some of us arent as luckly as others.

These threads get way out of control....and as my boss said "Im sick of hearing about the crap that goes on Pprune"...cause guys and gals...thats whats happening here.

Dashim
15th Jun 2005, 07:41
Last respondent sums it all up well.

Back to work everyone and leave those who choose to be innovative to their own devices.

Judging by the comments in this thread I just hope some of my colleagues can fly their planes better than they can make judgement on other people's business.

Norris leaves Air New Zealand - is he a loser? Is the airline a lost cause? Is the country stuffed? I think not but I'm sure some very poorly informed pilot will have negative comments to make.

Remember attitude determines altitude - are you still in ground effect?

Bye:O :ok: ;) :p :D

ZK-NSN
21st Jun 2005, 03:38
From the Christchurch Buy, sell, swap.

"For sale, large share in Nz Domestic airline, offers. Will consider trade for 1975 Austin Princess or similar. Phone 0800 what was i thinking, after 5pm, ask for Mike"

Could just be another Mike though, I suppose.

I heard he was fired from the marketing job. He had some good idea's as well as some really bad ones. Like I've said before he would have been better off investing in the te Whanaga education system. The new boy is probably wishing he'd stayed in the giant prison collany about now.

flying ginge
22nd Jun 2005, 00:18
Has he really left or is this all just classic prune yarns?

Split Flap
22nd Jun 2005, 00:18
Havent got a 1975 austin princess, would you consider a 1972 hillman hunter that has been on grandad's lawn for a while?

lex
22nd Jun 2005, 09:22
flying ginge

'Mike has left the building' He has not been seen at OPAL for about a month or more, what he is doing now re: OPAL involvement remains a mystery. Someone said they had seen him licking the envelopes for the monthly accounts receivable?
I have heard thru the jungle vine he split or was told to split when the new GM Passenger arrived, not that she stayed for long....
:{

lex