PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Lands on The Summit of Everest!

Climebear
6th Jun 2005, 22:08
Helicopter Lands on the Summit of Everest (http://www.everestnews.com/stories2005/everestcopter05232005.htm)

Have a look at this - it certainly makes SH flying in the Alps look a bit tame. I bet you couldn't do it in a Puma - even if is a tiger!

I managed to get my 230 Sqn tiger scarf (only an honorary member) up to just over 6400m in the Himalaya (mind you that was walking/climbing).

soddim
6th Jun 2005, 22:13
So now there's no need to climb it?

SASless
6th Jun 2005, 22:20
Longer thread on this in Rotorheads....lots of questions about the landing...sanctioned or not...whether it was on top or only at the South Col...lots of links for reading.

Climebear
6th Jun 2005, 22:41
Tigs1999ish - but was it in a Puma?

Oxygen's over-rated anyway, I've never needed it that high - mind you my brain stopped functioning years ago!

Zoom
7th Jun 2005, 18:51
Quite a record that, but the Yanks are bound to beat it.

SASless
7th Jun 2005, 19:06
Zoom,

The French have landed on top of the highest point on the Earth....how are we supposed to beat that? Anyway I see it, we will be walking in Pierre's tracks.

Zoom
7th Jun 2005, 19:38
Oh SASless, you poor thing! It looks like you were the first to fall for it. It's a joke, see. How much higher on land can you get on this planet than on top of the highest bit? Oh never mind.

How many others, I wonder.......?

saudipc-9
7th Jun 2005, 20:23
Speaking for SASless...........Dooohhhhhh!!!

Climebear
7th Jun 2005, 20:33
SASLess could have a point - the good old US could try and build up McKinley by about 3000m and then land a Heli on there just to outdo the Europeans.

Lafyar Cokov
7th Jun 2005, 21:36
...but did they do a wing-over up there????

:D

cazatou
7th Jun 2005, 22:00
OK

I'll fall for it.

Go and look at the pictures of Sir Edmund Hillary And Sherpa Tensing up there in 1953 and tell me how you land any form of flying machine on that God forsaken spot.!!!!!!

PS Mind you, it was only the beginning of June when they were there.

Climebear
7th Jun 2005, 22:25
Edited due the fact I am stupid and got it wrong the first time

I can't let a thread go by without starting some banter. To this end, it may be worth highlighting

The Army was the first to succesfully climb Everest as a single-Service in 1976 when Bronco Lane and Brummie Stokes summited,

The RAF when Chf Tech 'Dan' Carroll and Cpl 'Rusty' Bale summited on 22 May 01 as part of the RAF MRS expedition.

The Navy followed the other 2 Services in 2003.

The Army will have another go next year.

Flood gates open....

MrBernoulli
8th Jun 2005, 06:59
I want to see a convincing picture of the chopper actually on the summit. You'd think they would put one with the article!

RubiC Cube
8th Jun 2005, 07:07
Ah Climebear, you forgot to mention the achievement of a certain AVM Burridge whose picture was all over the RAF News after that momentous RAF climb up Everest!