PDA

View Full Version : single cabin crew operations

planejane69
6th Jun 2005, 21:19
Hey, lookin out for other single cabin crew out there! Wondered what kind of shifts you are expected to do? Currently I have lost the will to live .....doing 6 sector days over 10 & a half hrs + with no break and cleaning a/c on every turnaround. I simply love flying & the whole customer service aspect of the job, but after the 5th flight & 10th hour on your own with un/mins, wheelchairs, huge bags & the odd demanding pax I am finding it a struggle!

triple x
7th Jun 2005, 06:48
6 sectors a day ? wow. That is alot. I am not a CC yet, but for what I have heard from other people the max I have heard so far is 4.

Try another airline

EAAFA
7th Jun 2005, 09:00
Plainjane69, I really feel for you. I too am a regional solo flight attendant, and some days are very hard. Don't get me wrong, I love my job, but I'm often frustrated with my working conditions. I don't think there is such a thing as a regional carrier which treats it's cabin crew as well as it should.

Do other airlines have bases in Glasgow with whom you can lodge an application?

Chin up!

planejane69
7th Jun 2005, 10:46
EAAFA,
thanx for that, it's nice to hear from someone else in the same "plane" as me. It is so hard to get a Glasgow base, those crew who are fortunate to get a Glasgow base for other carriers seem to stay put till retirement! I think the only option is to move to London, or give it up!...The latter of which I don't want to do!

MELBRO
7th Jun 2005, 11:25
Hey PaneJane69

I too am a regional FA, however the most sectors we do are 5. I have to say i praise any regional FA who has to do 6 sectors, because thats really pushing it. I know by my fifth sector i am starting to do silly little things wrong as fatigue is setting in big time.

The only advice i can give you is try to remember all the good things you love about the job and take that with you to work each day.

Keep smiling

P.S Remember their are worse jobs

apaddyinuk
7th Jun 2005, 12:33
Hey Plane Jane,
Why not make a move to Cork, Galway or Dublin and give Aer Arann a try. Not all solo crewing and the days are not as hard. However the excrement does hit the fan regularly!!!

EK-LHR-LGW-GLA-MAN-B
10th Jun 2005, 01:47
**Do other airlines have bases in Glasgow with whom you can lodge an application?**

Dont know what airline you are with at the moment or what kind of work you are looking for (long haul or what) but i seen that First Choice Airways have a opening for crew at Glasgow right now. I would also try FlyGlobespan who seem to expand every month from Glasgow.

crewgal
12th Jun 2005, 20:34
You have my sympathy, I too do 6 sector days, single crew. I have a feeling we may be with same airline! Keep your chin up, as everyone else says, try another airline.........good luck

EAAFA
13th Jun 2005, 05:12
One of my pet peeves as a solo flight attendant is stupid people sitting in the exit rows. How can they be relied upon in an emergency if they can't open a lunch box or find the open end of a rubbish bag without assistance?

What are your pet peeves?

euromanxdude
15th Jun 2005, 19:35
Hey guys,
hurray, there is others in same situation as me! same here ..........absolutley love the flying etc........but as its been said after your 6th sector been on duty for 10 hours even more on some days because of weather feels you gonna crack!!!!!!!!!
Not to bad if its quiet, but when its busy a whole load of specials that chk-in have sat in emergency exits, oversized cabbin baggage, with big headwind on return to home base and by yourself.....in the end i just do me best and grin and bear it. Mind you some days do prefer being on me own.....but some days if yer delayed do appeciate being multicrew - just for the back up!

happy flying all!:cool:

gallie girl
18th Jun 2005, 07:34
I was a solo flightie for 5 years. Sometimes we would do 8 sector days.. and it was very tiring.. especially in the middle of a hot australian summer with no APU to keep the A/C up and running on those turnarounds.. the cabin temp would sometimes reach around 43-44 degree celcious, you literally thought you were going to melt. I didn't enjoy the cleaning on outer port turnarounds, all that feral rubbish picking it up, changing the bins, crossing seatbelts, checking seat pockets (not to mention the interesting bits of rubbish you would find in them) and wiping tray tables, and then really wanting to wash your hands, but you find that the tank is empty that stores the water for the sink!!! Safety brief after safety brief, forgetting where the hell you have just landed as you have travelled from one end of the state to another in the last 10 hours.. and who was the crew you were flying with again... doesn't matter.. I'll just make their names up.. its the third different crew today!!!!!

BUT with all the negatives there were the good times too, 95% of the pax were lovely and they were interesting to talk too, the hours were mostly good when you weren't doing HUGE days, sometimes you would only be at work for 3 hours and be home by 930 am just as everyone else was going to work! I haven't flown now for 18 months, and yes i do miss it, but I have enjoyed returning to nursing, where i find I have been able to use my brain just a little bit more!!!