PDA

View Full Version : The Failing Aviator

ralphmalph
6th Jun 2005, 19:12
Anyone seen the video "The failing aviator"

It was a talk by an american colonel doc about flyers and their weaknesses.

I think it has been withdrawn due to the non-pc nature of the vid.

Anyone seen it?

Anyone got a copy?

Cheers

Ralph

Onan the Clumsy
6th Jun 2005, 19:50
I used to have a copy but I left it on the bus :(

...story of my life really :zzz:

Rapscallion
6th Jun 2005, 20:13
They used to show it on the Flight Authorisers Cse run by DASC at Bently Priory. You could try there.

Tigs1999ish
6th Jun 2005, 22:51
Henlow has copies of it , speak to the'mad' but 'great' american doc of aviation. I'm sure he will be only too (ISS? - I can't remember?) willing to accommodate as it highlights far too many of our faults!! That said, he is a fantastic guy!!

flipster
7th Jun 2005, 15:05
An excellent vid with a very serious message!

Try DASC or RAFCAM at Henlow, but you may have to provide your own tape.

However, 'they' once were reluctant to let the vid out to all and sundry - as it was thought it would dilute the impact of its most effective speaker - this may still be case - not sure.

Nonetheless, with good a reason, you should be able to get a copy from DASC, as I think that the 'don't let it out' attitude has changed there for sure.

Unfortunately, the quality of the 'master tape' is pretty ropey, so be prepared to get an equally dodgy copy. As long as you explain that before you run the vid to the sqn (or whomever), it's effect is not diminished. I have yet to speak to anyone who has seen the recording and who has not felt that the speaker was talking about them personally - at least in part!

The vid has made many people think long and hard about themselves and the people with whom they fly. Certainly, I owe my sanity, if not my life, to a friend on the sqn who noticed I was on the edge and had the guts to tell me so! Sensibly, I did something about it, stepped back a bit and I am here to tell the tale. This vid played its part in that process, so it comes recommended.

And now? Well........."I'm fine thank you!"

...............but does anyone know the name of the USAF bloke in the vid?

Tiger_mate
7th Jun 2005, 15:13
DASC have it on DVD. I know, they gave me a copy post FSO Course.

Prop-Ed
8th Jun 2005, 10:19
I think I’m right in saying that the speaker in the vid’ was asked by the RAF to take part in a new production following the same lines as the original. Unfortunately he declined due to the abuse he had been subjected to over the years from the PC minority groups referred to during the talk.

I have to say I thought it was brilliant.

wishtobflying
8th Jun 2005, 11:26
Anything that highlights the reality of human factors in the cockpit should be distributed far and wide. Any chances of getting hold of one of these DVD's from anyone here? I would be happy to pay postage to Australia for such a beastie.

OKOC
8th Jun 2005, 13:19
I heard the US Government had asked for all copies to be retuned some time ago!

flipster
8th Jun 2005, 21:39
They can't have mine - I mangled it in an old VCR at Cranditz.

Tigs2
9th Jun 2005, 08:37
Tiger Mate
Check PMs

Tiger_mate
9th Jun 2005, 15:27
Have checked the many PMs, and the answer to all is:

The DVD is a direct copy of the original video. In places, the quality is poor.. So relevent is the content, that DASC should consider paying the copyright fee to get it reproduced in "English".

For whilst the integrity of the original author (jet jock with psychology background) may be missing, the content is perhaps the most relevent bit of aircrew psychology documentation there is. Hands up all who have seen it and said: "Thats me, so is that, and that"

Aircrew - fast cars - fast bikes - big overdrafts - hot women - Departure times including check ins (on vacation!) - ETAs and fuel burn whilst in the outside lane of the motorway - A garage full of toys - road rage - every other driver is a pr1)k- Drink for britain without getting drunk - sex all night - well in your dreams anyway!.

If you want a DVD, why not phone up DASC, book a Flight Safety Officers Course and ask them for a copy of the DVD. They dont bite

The Proctologist
17th Jun 2005, 21:45
I think that the shortage of copies was due to the fact that the company he was involved in made a business of selling these at about $300 a time. I seem to remember that there was a series of about 4 subjects. Consequently most of the videos that people have seen have been 4th or 5th generation copies of copies borrowed from SFSO's, AvMed and CRM people.