PDA

View Full Version : Curriculum vitae question??

Turkish777
6th Jun 2005, 11:18
I'm hoping someone out there could advise me on a CV question. Im currently finishing my last ATPL Examinations and will be ready to start sending out my CV before the end of the year. My question is that for the last 15 years I have been training doing Kick/Thai Boxing including instructing, and typically on the bottom of your CV you mention any hobbies, sports and interests. I was wondering if I should not mention this as it may come across as a bit thuggish and brutal, consequently painting a bad picture of myself before a potential employer has had the chance to meet me….Would anyone out there think it would be wise to not include this, thank you for your help.

:sad:

Duff beer
6th Jun 2005, 12:13
Maybe best giving it a miss. Some guys would be impressed, some wouldnt. (personally I think anything like that shows commitment and a life outside of aviation). Not really worth taking the risk though.

Instead of Kick-boxing put down gym training or something similar.

Just my opinion though.

Genghis the Engineer
6th Jun 2005, 12:24
I've been practicing Ju Jitsu for 18 years on and off, and would exclude anybody who practices kick boxing on principle :p (Not as bad as Tae Kwon Do mind you :O).

Seriously, and martial arts politics aside, what does it offer the employer? If you are a dan grade instructor, your teaching or organising experience may be worth mentioning - some phrase like "senior instructor at local martial arts club" (then be prepared to explain how you'll fit that around your flight scheduling). If you simply participate, then some vague allusion to "regular sports exercise" is probably enough, anything else is probably irrelevant. Avoid irrelevant detail.

G

Turkish777
6th Jun 2005, 12:58
Thanks lads, yes I agree with your views, I think 'keeping fit' is more than enough information..

Maybe I should take up knitting or gardening....or Ju Jitsu even hehe ;)

Miserlou
7th Jun 2005, 06:57
I reckon you should write it like it is. It gives an opportunity to talk about different cultures and let's face it, who doesn't like Thai food? You must have had some contact with Thai people or been to Thailand, perhaps learning a few phrases would also deepen an otherwise apparently 'thuggish' hobby.

15 years is still a long time to devote to a discipline which is a positive factor in your favour.

Turkish777
7th Jun 2005, 22:45
Thank you Miserlou and Mike for your kind words :ok:

hmy2k
9th Sep 2005, 09:12
I think that it is an excellent thing to put on a cv, because it shows that you can master complicated skills and that you can keep on learning new things. This is vital for an airline, as they need people who can prove that they can master skills, like flying etc.

Hmy2k

No_Speed_Restriction
9th Sep 2005, 09:51
are you a black belt in feng shui?

George Semel
9th Sep 2005, 19:14
Look you have to be who you are, if Kick Boxing is what you do, then I would be proud to mention it. There is nothing wrong with it, I put down what I like to do for hobbies on my CV or Resume. In my case its fly fishing, hunting and shooting. I'm starting a new job in a few days flying an aircraft I have never flown. Why I was hired, well he said that since I fly fish, I can't be to bad a fellow and well you hunt. It must be a 338 Winchester thing. Oh lots of Elk where I will be. The funny thing about it is I didn't expect even a phone call let alone a job offer. Just be who you are, and let the others play the PC junk.

VFE
10th Sep 2005, 22:30
Perhaps you should give people more credit for possession of intelligence. The majority of people in general know that Thai Kick Boxing is a respected martial art and the kind of people who shall hopefully be reading your CV are most likely to be in possession of an intelligence greater than your average Sun reader so I would say go for it. Someone who can handle themselves would be an asset considering the increased risk of terrorism - that's my thinking anyway.

However, my view counts for 'Jack' in the grand scheme of things.

VFE.

willby
11th Sep 2005, 12:13
Agree with VFE. To achieve a standard such as Turkish has in any sport demonstrates huge dedication and motivation......qualities high on the desirable list of any potential employer.
Willby

Turkish777
11th Sep 2005, 16:40
Thanks for the replys lads, I posted that over 3 months ago and thought it was history..

ChocksAwayUK
11th Sep 2005, 17:25
and let's face it, who doesn't like Thai food? AA Gill, according to today's rather ignorant Sunday Times article.

Anyway... i would have thought anything that shows dedication, perseverence and a position of responsibility should be included on a CV. You'd have to be fairly ignorant to write martial arts off as thuggish. Not that i'm an expert or anything.

sixmilehighclub
11th Sep 2005, 22:51
From reading thousands of CVs in the past, in all honesty, we only ever read the hobbies and interests to have a laugh.

However, it shows focus, discipline and stamina, so I'd leave it in, but perhaps subtle it down by saying something like: I try to look after my health so keep fit by taking part in Kick/Thai Boxing, including instructing others.

metar
12th Sep 2005, 16:54
If you are really worried then how about phrasing it as "experienced sports instructor"... would make you sound like the kind of chap an airline could have as a line captain one day?!