PDA

View Full Version : Australian Airlines New Uniform

airbus_galley_girl
6th Jun 2005, 07:23
Does anyone from Australian Airlines know what is happening with your new uniform? Ive heard you will all be issued a suit, tie and wings for the new J class ?;) :confused:

RaverFlaver
6th Jun 2005, 07:47
It's all very hush hush. The uniform committee have signed a confidentiality agreement.

They are testing out the uniform now. From what I have heard parts of it didn't pass the testing.

Galley gossip I have heard is more formal, a charcoal suit, white coloured shirt, with small pattern/markings of our company colours.

That's about all I have heard, noone really knows much at all. I'm guessing it will be a months away too. Given testing ect is still continuing.

We are all eager to see it and get it though.

Have a good night,

RaverFlaver :)

airbus_galley_girl
6th Jun 2005, 08:06
Thanks for your reply.

Does anybody at AO enjoy wearing the orange shirt and brown jacket? Looks like budget airline easyjets uniform.

It must be comfortable to wear, right? We transited in CNS 3 days ago, i must admit you guys didn’t too crash hot at 5 in the morning.

Just my opinion:sad:

QF skywalker
6th Jun 2005, 10:56
Airbus galley girl,

Nice wind up honey.

Do you look nice at 5am after flying all night ?

The current uniform is very comfortable. The colours are a hit with our asian customers.

Raver - I heard we are getting the QF morrisey jacket and trousers with open necked business shirt with AO print on it ( bone colour )

Also a very nice set of gold wings. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

And which company do you fly for airbus galley girl ?

blueloo
6th Jun 2005, 11:29
and when did you get your pilots license? :}

RaverFlaver
6th Jun 2005, 11:33
QFsky,

Ta for the info. Yay wings sound flash! Curious about the AO print.

Airbus_galley_girl,

I don't mind wearing the orange shirt, it's the jacket that I have issues with. It's no more comfortable than any other pair of black business pants or business shirt.

i must admit you guys didn’t too crash hot at 5 in the morning

I don't think many people look to crash hot after operating all night and landing at 5am. Give us a break. I'm sure you were refering to the uniform though?

Night,

Raver :)

OZcabincrew
6th Jun 2005, 12:42
I saw AO crew in Singapore recently amongst crew from other airlines and it just didn't look professional. I understand AO is an international "leisure" airline, so uniform etc reflects this. I don't think it is that bad, will be good when it is altered.

True, not too many people look great at 5am, however the asian carriers always seem to look immaculate at any time of the day. Makes you feel ashamed when you're lined up with them at immigration, hahaha.

Oz

mid assist
7th Jun 2005, 12:54
Ozcabincrew

You forgot to mention the fact that the AO crew were walking through the terminal together. No doubt laughing and smiling and proud.
What i see very often in SIN is Qantas crew drinking coffee and on their mobile phones whilst walking through the terminal.

QF skywalker- I'm curious to know who your source is!

blueloo
7th Jun 2005, 14:52
AOs uniform, laughter and pride, made no difference to the service the flight I was on. It was cloned QF service, in that the PAs were identical, only I payed full fare, and the food was worse, and the service average.

Then again maybe i expected to much for my $850. :}

ditzyboy
8th Jun 2005, 01:45
blueloo -
You paid the full-Y fare did you? Or you paid for a discounted Y commercial ticket? There IS a difference.

"Cloned QF service..." "Expected too much..." Expecting too much from the Big Q is quite easy, as you state.

I really enjoy your wind up posts... Keep 'em coming, Champ :ok:

blueloo
8th Jun 2005, 06:08
Tis easy to do, Mate! QF/ AO - there is a never ending supply of fresh, (very very real) ammunition (bait) and so many fish ready to bite!

....its the catch and effort realing em in which makes it so fun

:} :}

High-Flying-Adored
8th Jun 2005, 06:28
I like the current AO uniform and i have often thought how appropriate it looks when i see it arund the airport. It is casaul and relaxed - befitting a holiday airline..

The Morrissey thing sounds good too - but i think the designers would be doing themselves a favour by loosing the ties, waist jackets and tunics. The QF ground and cabin crew look good in thier Morrisey - but the tunics aren't exactly flattering on some of the more 'fuller' figures.

I don't mind wearing the orange shirt, it's the jacket that I have issues with.

What exactly do you hate about the jacket? I have a similar jacket as part of our company attire and i don't mind mine. Though it has no pockets, inside or out, which is annoying when your looking for somehwhere to put a pen. (And no i am not looking for suggestions as to where i can put a pen:O )

QF skywalker
8th Jun 2005, 06:30
Blueloo.......you are so cool man.... Like... cowabunga dude....

What goes around comes around.

OZcabincrew
8th Jun 2005, 06:55
mid assist,

That's right, that was left out, because it's not what they were doing. Every airline has great crew and bad crew, so people shouldn't blanket QF crew or AO crew, there's good and bad apples in every business.

Oz

lowerlobe
8th Jun 2005, 07:24
Does it really matter what the new AO uniform is,the only sure thing is that it won't be made in Australia and the majority of crew wearing it won't be either

blueloo
8th Jun 2005, 08:44
Skywalker, Nah not cool mate, rather a complete dag, but you must be pretty hip and swinging to be current on the teenage mutant ninja turtles. circa early 90's. I bow down to your coolness. May we all follow in your hallowed footsteps

You trendsetter you!

:rolleyes:

QF skywalker
8th Jun 2005, 08:53
Well....you said it ;)

Do you tell all of your mates that you are really good at stirring up the cabin crew on pprune ? Bet they're impressed.

So judging by your dag comment I take it you the techie that always turns up in the lobby for dinner with the crew wearing sneakers, denim cut off shorts (well above the knee I might add ) and that old coca cola promotional t-shirt you got back in 1988 when you were flying bank cheques around in the C152 ?

:} :} :} :} :cool: :cool: :O :p :oh: :8

blueloo
8th Jun 2005, 08:54
Don't be stupid! I wear the blue truckies singlet, thongs and a pair of Warrick Cappers old shorts with my goolies hanging out.

QF skywalker
8th Jun 2005, 09:01
As long as the thongs are designer - you have my respect ;)

I'll even buy you are beer you sh*t stirrer :D :D :D

blueloo
8th Jun 2005, 09:06
Actually, maybe I could design AOs uniform. Warrick Cappers shorts would make a good starting point.

tow-truck
8th Jun 2005, 09:12
oooohhhhhhhhh SKYWa-ker

you must be so so so so excited, finally your dreams are coming true, you will have a jacket just like QF mainline, you will have a Morrissey trousers, just like QF mainline, its just so so so exciting your dreams to be a QF flight attendant, finally.............
In the backdoor eh! nearly made it.......
Its even in your post name, its QF Wa=ker how come its not AO Wa-ker,,,,,, hmmmmm
Oh by the way raver,, its hush hush hush,,,,, I laughed,,, how about you both concentrate on the important things in life like your new EBA, something that is really going to have a dramatic effect on your life!
No wonder AO management are having a field day with this EBA!

Ohhhhh am I going to get a Beige attack or what!!!!!!!!!

QF skywalker
8th Jun 2005, 09:44
The username was originally created in 2000 when i worked for...you guessed it - Qantas.
I've already worn the morrisey uniform.

Will ya shut up now !

Did u get a haircut yet ? :p

jan brady
8th Jun 2005, 14:36
please correct me if i am wrong,but isn't AO a budget airline like Easyjet? So whats the problem with the budget uniforms?

Trollywally
8th Jun 2005, 15:46
actually AO is not a budget airline but a low cost airline... there is a difference.... low cost refers to their setup cost and their running costs and does not refer to the airfares.... they are a full service all economy ( at the moment) leisure airline

greedy
15th Jun 2005, 01:55
hi everyone the new uniform is a goer, i believe it will be launched around the 18th of june in perth at the tourism expo. No wings as yet, no tie. Girls will have a tuck in shirt and belt and the OCHRE is gone !!!!!!. Different fabrics for the pants and jacket (the same as QF). It actually looks great! wait and see. also the confidentiality agreements were never signed and im on the commitee.

safe flying everyone

QF skywalker
15th Jun 2005, 02:15
What colours ?

Skirts for girls ?

Still only long sleeves for boys?

airbus_galley_girl
15th Jun 2005, 07:06
18th June???, thats 3 days away, you sure? I dont think the cabin crew will be issued any new uniform for a long way off...

RaverFlaver
15th Jun 2005, 07:44
High-Flying-Adored,

Things I hate about the jacket are: The colour, the length (jackets like our current design that sit half way down your thigh look incorrectly cut. My opinion is it should only come to your waistline or a little below), the fleece lining (i'm sure it's imitation polar fleece, but not exactly the type of lining you want on a jacket when your base is CNS). Even in winter now you still sweat like mad just walking to the crew room for sign on. There is nowhere to hang your asic card apart from off the tip of the collar which pulls it down lopsided to the other. They are my personal views on the jacket, oh and did I mention the colour is vile! :}

Oh by the way raver,, its hush hush hush,,,,, I laughed,,, how about you both concentrate on the important things in life like your new EBA, something that is really going to have a dramatic effect on your life!

Nothing to concentrate on really, as I have made my descision re the EBA.

Greedy,

hi everyone the new uniform is a goer, i believe it will be launched around the 18th of june in perth at the tourism expo.

Really? Reason why is I only flew with someone on the uniform committe last week, who said that the uniform had failed testing and the NO note was made against it..........Hmmm I guess I will just wait and see when an announcement is made.

Have a good night all,

Sonique
15th Jun 2005, 07:55
Raver .... Our pprune friend greedy is in the know because his mum got him on to the committee at the last minute.
Don't think mummy would be happy if she heard he was blabbing on pprune re the new uniform before it was announced!

QFsky...I hear WM is working on wings.

RaverFlaver
15th Jun 2005, 08:02
Thanks Sonique.

I shall sit tight then and wait for June 18! :)

TCM Not!
16th Jun 2005, 12:38
At the last meeting for the uniform our very "experienced" and "well dressed" rep. from the Marketing department told us that because we rejected the first example (the one she designed!) we would not be getting the business style jacket, rather the same zip up style jacket we currently have, only in black!
So it will be black pants, similar to QF style, a white shirt for men and women (still with button down collar for men) with a pattern through it and the black bomber jacket.
There was no vote this time and there will be no trials of the new uniform to make sure that it is appropriate, comfortable etc.
It was basically take it or leave it and because you upset me I am going to punish you by making you look slightly less stupid by only changing the colour of the jacket!
Why is management so hell bent on treating us like idiots. It will end up being just lake the origional uniform debarcle with wrong fabrics, wrong colours, wrong sizes and everyone being miserable.
If Miss Marketing had her way we would all have breast augmentations and wear inappropriate tops revealing as much cleavage and as many fat rolls as possible!

RaverFlaver
16th Jun 2005, 13:12
That's such a shame.

There was no vote this time and there will be no trials of the new uniform to make sure that it is appropriate, comfortable etc

Espicailly after Andrea said at the last team forum that they will not be making a rushed decision, that trials would take place, and choices would be made on the best option possible, given the above.

I'm not holding my breathe now. :(

mid assist
17th Jun 2005, 00:40
I wonder if the jacket will be the same material as the tech crew?

It looks good!

Anflygirl
17th Jun 2005, 01:29
Oh God. How depressing. I was so looking forward to something to be proud of. Lets hope the bomber jacket is just a maybe and they use common sense and give us Qf unifoms with our logo. Now that would be great. :ok:

Sonique
17th Jun 2005, 02:04
Are they seriously going to do this to us ?

THE JACKET IS THE WHOLE PROBLEM !!

No-one cares about the trousers or ochre shirts !

It's the bl00dy jacket ! and ....lack of wings !

Last time I saw 'Big L ' from the marketing dept.....she was wearing a very revealing bridget jones style outfit......and she was in major need of an upper leg wax. :)

RaverFlaver
17th Jun 2005, 02:16
I have never actually seen the tech crews jacket!!!

I'm guessing it must be like ours since they never wear it!!!

I agree Sonigue, the pants are fine, the ochre shirt is ok, but just do something to the jacket! :{

YONLY
17th Jun 2005, 07:35
So we are getting yet another silly looking uniform. How surprising! I realise that we are the bottom of the food chain at the Qantas Group but why do we have to look and feel like it?

I also have to ask why are we changing the uniform anyway? Was it not because over 80% of us stated in a culture and engagement survey that we hated how we looked? I would rather wear the current one. At least it is comfortable. And some of the men look very nice in those black pants indeed!

And what was the point of the uniform committee? The 'uniform guru', (I would love to see her resume!), basically ignored the imput of the members. I also realise that a lot of the outcome will be based on cost so we can't be too hard on her...

If anyone can find a piece of research on the correlation between uniforms, morale, productivity and profit please forward it to our management. Maybe when they see that a small outlay for uniforms could have a positive effect on profit they might change their tune! (AO though, I doubt it!!!)

RaverFlaver
18th Jun 2005, 10:19
It's June 18.

Any news on this "launch" at the PER expo that was on today???

Have a good weekend,

Grove
18th Jun 2005, 10:38
I would be really happy to swap your new Australian uniforms for my beauitful Jetstar uniform.You guys think you have it bad...Have you seen what Qantas make us wear!!
We do have a jacket but my god,we look like ring masters at the circus.Very few males will wear it.
Its so sad...dont Qantas realise what a lift in spirit and moral it would do for the crew if we didnt feel like the poor relations.

GalleyHag
18th Jun 2005, 11:24
YONLY

Bottom of the food chain at Qantas, please just because you have a crap uniform. Pull your head of the sand up their in Cairns and spare a thought for the other flight attendants that really are the bottom of the Qantas food chain.

Sonique
20th Jun 2005, 03:48
Official.

* Black QF Trousers/Slacks for male/female ( No skirts )

* Same current style shirt for both - however - 'White' in colour with pin stripe polka dots ascending and descending in size over shirt in three different colours - Sand, Ochre and Black.

* No pockets on shirt. Men still have button down collar. Girls still 3/4 shirt.

* Girls tuck shirt into slacks. With thin belt.

* Wings - Coming Soon

* Jewellery - TBA - Bracelets, Necklace should be ok for female.

* Same current style jacket - But Black with fabric matching trousers/slacks.
:O

YONLY
21st Jun 2005, 03:18
I see that one of our lovely Cabin Manager Co-ordinators is modelling the new uniform with his wife over in Perth today.

TCM Not!
21st Jun 2005, 04:24
Yeah! It's not what you know here at AO.
Another one of the "jobs for the boys!"

What a shame that the general public will see it before the rest of the crew do. Once again the crew are kept in the dark until the last minute!

Someone from the pilot ranks should also ask managment what is happening with their uniforms. I think you will be thrilled (not!) with the answer!

QF skywalker
21st Jun 2005, 06:27
Do we even get a chance to see it and vote it in ?

TCM Not!
21st Jun 2005, 06:39
No chance at all QF! All is said and done. Marketing know what is best, after all!
Was launched today in Perth at the travel show!

I mean, what would we know after all, we are only the ones who have to wear it.

Lets just hope that it doesn't bite them on the bum and end being a total mess like the origional was or even the QF Morrissey debarcle!

QF skywalker
21st Jun 2005, 22:22
AUSTRALIAN AIRLINES UNVEILS NEW UNIFORMS
FOR FLIGHT ATTENDANTS

International leisure carrier Australian Airlines today unveiled a new
uniform for its 310 flight attendants.

Ochre, a colour unique to Australia, is still the signature colour of the
crew uniform which is expected to be introduced in time for Australian
Airlines' third birthday celebrations in October.

Australian Airlines Chief Executive Andrea Staines said the design brief
was to update the uniform so that it reflected the airline's position as an
established full-service carrier in the Asia-Pacific region.

The result is a uniform that is contemporary, relaxed and distinctively
Australian to reflect the spirit of the international holiday airline and
our flight attendants.

The most distinctive feature of the new uniform is the white shirt with
ochre dots in a wave pattern in keeping with the unique design of our
aircraft livery.

We are moving from a desert sand coloured bomber jacket to a smart casual
black jacket and trouser suit featuring our unique logo, she said. The
uniforms are comfortable to wear in all of the cities and countries we fly
to, look stylish and suit the role of our crew.

The new uniform is an important investment for Australian Airlines as our
flight attendants are the face of the airline.

The flight attendant uniform features the same elements for male and female
staff.

Ms Staines unveiled the uniforms for the first time today during an
Australian Airlines media conference at the Australian Tourism Exchange
(ATE), the largest tourism trade event in the Southern Hemisphere, this
year held in Perth.

Today, Ms Staines also announced the airline's website
australianairlines.com would have a new look from next month.

The Australian Airlines website will have a new layout and design which is
more user-friendly, she said. Customers will be able to find out more about
Australian Airlines and what we offer, they can research their holiday,
check our schedules, sign up for specials, offers and our newsletter.

Pictures shortly.

SkySista
22nd Jun 2005, 06:45
Says "you are not authorised to view this attachment"....

QF skywalker
22nd Jun 2005, 14:04
pics available at

http://www.australianairlines.com.au/newsroom/2005_6_21_newuniformsperth.html (http://)

http://www.australianairlines.com.au/images/img_uniforms_1_sm.jpg http://www.australianairlines.com.au/images/img_uniforms_2_sm.jpg http://www.australianairlines.com.au/images/img_uniforms_3_sm.jpg http://www.australianairlines.com.au/images/img_uniforms_4_sm.jpg

cart_elevator
22nd Jun 2005, 16:21
Well, I spose if you get bored, you can all have a quick game of 'Connect-The-Dots' in the galley :p

Its probably a lot more plain than I thought it would be - but then again I am used to the shiny-brown-frock. I think your last uniform was a lot more distinctive.... :)

Dots always remind me of bank uniforms

Sonique
3rd Jul 2005, 03:33
They both look gorgeous ! New uniform looks great.

Connect the dots ! I love it ! Beats playing count the boomerangs :)

Pro Golfer 69
3rd Jul 2005, 05:19
Sorry guys you'll soon be re-branded Jetstar International. Expect an announcement shortly.

RaverFlaver
3rd Jul 2005, 05:31
Can you back up that statement?

Seems a bit random, since we have just gone through the whole process of selecting a new uniform that is going to be out online in October.......given how tight AO/QF are I hardly think they would waste money on a new uniform and then shortly after announce we are changing to Jetstar International.

Cheers,

Pro Golfer 69
3rd Jul 2005, 07:21
Here is an extract from BRW magazine 30th June.

Qantas is at a crossroads. In the past few years it has segmented its business and created a series of brands: Qantas, Jetstar, Australian Airlines and Qantas Holidays. This has let it set up different labour conditions, introduce financial disciplines and try to add value to the brands. Jetstar Asia has not been a success and Australian Airlines is expected to be backed into a new airline, Jetstar international.

EAAFA
3rd Jul 2005, 08:10
The new AO uniform looks more practical than the original chioce. Removing inconveniently located stains from the original colours in order to look presentable for the remainder of a duty must have been a nightmare.

I also think it's a good move to have some connection to the image of the parent company, Qantas. The pants seem to be the same as ours (ie Qantas/link) which makes good economic sense.

I'm not sure about the end result, though. The guys and girls in the photos look a bit too much like parking lot attendants. No offense to the AO crews who will be wearing the uniform.

raft rower
4th Jul 2005, 10:52
Just my two cents worth,
'We'd love to have a pocket or two'
There'll be no more lending pens to passengers cause they forgot to give a pocket or two!!!!:p ;)

airbus_galley_girl
19th Sep 2005, 06:33
what about wings????????:rolleyes:

OZcabincrew
19th Sep 2005, 07:58
Hi!

I've heard the same too. Australian Airlines aren't bringing in the money like they were expected to, so they will be changed to Jetstar. Look forward to the 747's and long trips away from home! I wonder what the service would be on Jetstar International? Presuming it will still be a low cost carrier?

Oz

wine o babe
19th Sep 2005, 10:02
So is this actually true or just more "galley gossip"?
Have heard this a lot lately and am curious to see if it will really be the case.