PDA

View Full Version : Engine cooling

TheFlyingSquirrel
5th Jun 2005, 23:13
In the average piston machine, what percentage, if any, of engine cooling is achieved with forward airspeed - assuming cruise flight?

Disguise Delimit
6th Jun 2005, 00:12
You can answer your own question by looking at the R22 and R44 - how much of the 44's engine can you see?

The 22 sucks air in from the BACK and blows it around the engine to exit downwards. So unless you are climbing backwards, you get 4/5ths of stuff all from moving.

erchie
6th Jun 2005, 00:16
I suppose it would take an engineer to put a figure on it, but just for discussion...
Taking a 22 as typical, the only temp indicators in the cockpit are oil and CHT. The oil temp remains static in normal ops as its reguated by the cooler.
CHT can only rise during forward flight as the engine is under load. During ground effect ops, the CHT remains stable as a fixed volume of air passes over the cylinder fins and will only drop again when the engine is off load, on the ground at idle(or 75% for initial drop).
Long and short, the cooling fins are covered and a fixed amount of air passes over them for a given engine/fan speed, so forward speed,I think, has no direct effect.
Tell me if this is inccorrect.