PDA

View Full Version : BA revamp starts

traveller5
4th Jun 2005, 21:44
BA to start "the" productivity revamp for its cabin crews with certain 767 LH routes being handed to Eurofleet cabin staff. TLV, NBO and later EBB will be operated by shorthaul 767 crews. It is hoped that the 767/757/A320 licensed crews will provide the initial data for a mixed flying plan. Equally, the 777 in particular to be increasingly used on high density shorthaul routes from this month for 1 day trips. LGW Worldwide fleet will also soon see the trials for a 777/737 fleet for CC.

maxy101
4th Jun 2005, 21:48
Any idea of the type of shorthaul routes the 777 will be doing?

Carnage Matey!
5th Jun 2005, 00:52
777 on shorthaul? Don't make me laugh! 767 in EF config carries as many pax with half the cabin crew costs and without impinging on the 777 airframe life cycles. Sometimes I wonder where traveller5 gets his 'info' from.

TopBunk
5th Jun 2005, 03:54
Is it not more to do with the fact that the LH 767's are being dusked (flat beds etc) and that the new services to Shanghai etc result in more 777 flying. These facts are driving the requirement to fly some of the SH 767's on the TLV, for example. These will be flown by SH CC. The SH 767's flying some LH routes result in more work (again!) for the stretched Airbus fleet with talk of Lazarus (in the shape of the 737) having to return to LHR for some rotations.

As has been said before elsewhere, CC can only work 3 types of aircraft and at LHR we have A319/20/21, B757, B767, B777 and B747 - 5 types - making mixed flying less likely than at LGW with only the B737 and B777.

The B767 is unique in that it flies both SH and LH and as the LH CC are rumoured to be understaffed through the summer the plan has been developed to cover some of the shortfall from SH.

Still, never let facts get in the way of a good rumour!

[Edited to add:]

There may well be the occasional LH aircraft operating ad hoc SH routes - CDG recently springs to mind - they always have, BFS on Tristars for Xmas, LIS in Euro 2004 on B747, etc. They may, like the above be planned but they will be rare.

flyer55
5th Jun 2005, 12:39
777 will be covering some routes due to a shortage of aircraft at both LGW and LHR due to maintenance having to be done. 737 is just a rumour at the moment nothing definate.

P.s the 737 / 777 planned flying for the crew at LGW will happen and is not a trial .

Max Angle
5th Jun 2005, 14:31
LH CC are rumoured to be understaffed through the summer Understaffed by BA standards maybe, underworked by anyone elses, something that will change very fast under WW. The cabin crew and ground staff unions will surely be first on his hit list. Standby for fireworks.

maxy101
5th Jun 2005, 21:04
Max Angle, I thing WW will go for the union that he knows will roll over...and that will be BALPA unless it suddenly grows balls and/or gets some reps that want to rock the boat.

Jet II
6th Jun 2005, 09:30
The cabin crew and ground staff unions will surely be first on his hit list. Standby for fireworks.

LOL :D :D

Believe it when I see it - heard exactly the same thing when Skippy arrived but what happened? - zip.

MKDC8
6th Jun 2005, 15:44
Just wondering when WW is going try and revamp BA's profitable cargo operation and what direction he is looking at going.

Just wondering what WW's track record with cargo is, as Aer Lingus did not carry high volumes as BA does either on pax flights or dedicated freighters.

Interesting thought in what he plans to try and do ???

Whilst on the subject of cargo ops, any news from BAWC and where they will end putting their freighter operation ?

Anyone out there got any official idea's ?

Max Angle
6th Jun 2005, 17:41
and that will be BALPA Unfortunately you are probably quite right.

MarkD
6th Jun 2005, 20:49
MKDC8

his track record of SH cargo was to kill it - including a very bad press decision (revoked under pressure) to not carry coffins of Irish emigrants wanting to be buried in d'oul sod.

LH cargo in the 330s kept EI afloat in the bad times. Don't know what the attitude is now.

frangatang
7th Jun 2005, 19:26
777 short haul will only be accepted by cabin crew when it has sufficient bunk rest for the dears.

flybywire
7th Jun 2005, 21:07
The SH 767's flying some LH routes result in more work (again!) for the stretched Airbus fleet with talk of Lazarus (in the shape of the 737) having to return to LHR for some rotations.

REALLY!!!!!
Isn't it amazing how rumours change whether you're "up the road" or not!!
There was an airbus at LGW because of shortage of a/c. Now it's gone back to LHR but it will come back at LGW in august-or at least this is what was planned! Also the leasing of a few 737 is about to expire and there's thick fog around what's going to happen! I've even heard they might send another bus "down the road" with a view to convert even more crews in the near future!!
(thanks but no thanks!)

This company will never cease to amaze me!!! :E

FBW:)

apaddyinuk
8th Jun 2005, 17:21
PLEASE GET YOUR FACTS CORRECT!!!

TLV and NBO are being operated by shorthaul crew for July and possibly august ONLY as an interim measure due to a shortfall of Worldwide Crew!!!
As for the 777 in LGW, Being based on this fleet I certainly have not heard of this. Although I am aware that the occasional crew get called to operate the occassional shorthaul flight when various 737's go tech. Maybe when the shorthaul/worldwide fleets get merged (if it gets agreed to by the unions next year) this may happen but as it is, it is not cost effective for the airline to use worldwide crew on shorthaul routes!!!! And why operate a 4 class 777 on a shorthaul route when a shorthaul 767 has more seats????

ABird747
9th Jun 2005, 19:27
Sorry to burst your bubble but EF crew are only doing the TLV on days 1-5 and the NBO on day 6 because of a shortage of Longhaul crew until the end of July.
The shortage has been caused by bottlenecks in Cranebank so they can't handle the numbers of crew requiring:

1)New Entrant Training
2)Fleet Conversion Courses
3)Annual Recurrent Training

Not to mention the 3rd party training that goes on in Cranebank.

As far as the constant carping and whining about BA crews' benefits... would YOU turn them down? Of course you wouldn't

MarkD
10th Jun 2005, 23:04
Am I right in understanding some of the SH 767 are to become LH now they are not leaving for life in the military?