PDA

View Full Version : 1st Solo tips?

JAF0
4th Jun 2005, 17:41
Hey, have been reading loads of posts and ive been getting some really great tips.

Im going to be doing my 1st solo in a few weeks, and Im wondering if anyone could maybe give me some advice, like what to expect.

My instructor has said to watch for a quicker pick up, and that it tend to lift backwards, with less weight up front.

Any other tips for things to look out for?

Thanks
Al

albatross
4th Jun 2005, 17:49
A- excercise jaw muscles so that large smile will not strain face.
B- Relax
C- It will tend to hover nose high.
D-Relax
E- It will be a lot more quiet without all that "RPM" "Speed" "Trim" jabbering going on.
F- If in doubt go around.
G- Have bottle in car to present to long suffering instructor - heavens knows he deserves it.

Whirlygig
4th Jun 2005, 19:11
When I said to my instructor, after my first solo, that I missed his couple of hundredweight next to me, he thanked me for the compliment ;) The difference in weight was such that I just shot upwards at much less power and in the hover, flew very much left skid low (Hughes269 - LHS PIC).

As was said before, if in doubt, go around. But I'll buy you a beer if you do a go around just for the hell of it. You are the captain, so if that is your decision, then your instructor should understand that! I chickened out and landed as I was told to!

But you'll be fine; if you're not ready, your instructor won't let you go. Good Luck.

Cheers

Whirlygig

bondu
4th Jun 2005, 20:01
Just enjoy it: its the best feeling in the world!!!:ok:

bondu:ok:

flyer43
4th Jun 2005, 21:34
You'll certainly notice the difference the "empty seat" makes, not only by the difference in response to power and a slight change in pitch attitude, but you should also notice a slight difference in lateral attitude as well due to the c of g change.

Above all, treat the flight just the same as any other flight with the instructor on board. i.e. Don't let it go to your head until after you have landed. Then you can really enjoy yourself!!

Good luck

PS: You'll also notice your instructor becomes very responsive to an invite to join you at the nearest bar for a drink.:ok:

paco
4th Jun 2005, 21:46
If it's anything like mine (a long time ago!), you'll be too busy to enjoy it until you get into the bar - I had to force myself to memorise every bit.

Good luck and well done!

phil

TheFlyingSquirrel
5th Jun 2005, 02:02
don't look down !!

ConwayB
5th Jun 2005, 02:05
I agree with PACO... just remember to check and double check, slow everything down (so you don't miss anything and so you can really savour the feeling) and enjoy yourself.

I didn't really feel the rush until I walked away from the aircraft and then the adrenalin wore off and I started to 'come down'.

You'll have a great time!

SASless
5th Jun 2005, 02:22
Lordy....fellows....we will have the poor fellow all confused here....why not just remind him of how cheap this solo flight will be....sans big mouth in the other seat and all that expense that bit of talking ballast costs.

We have warned him about the post-flight gratuity payment in the form of some nice adult malt beverage....which could wind up costing much more than the saved cost for the flight!

But pay attention young lad...if he asks for that gratuity upfront before the flight.....:E

Curtis E Carr
5th Jun 2005, 08:22
Try to come back with roughly the same number of rotor blades as you took off with. Also, maintaining the same shape always goes down well.

Above all, enjoy!:ok:

bladewashout
5th Jun 2005, 09:20
1. If the 22 gets to be a handful, don't panic, keep right arm resting on right leg or you'll overcontrol it with a waving right elbow!
2. Remember the carb heat
3. Be amazed at the stunning rate of climb when you take off
4. You'll think you're nearly in auto when you try to descend without that chunky instructor
5. Keep cyclic forward and left on pickup
6. Whatever happens keep flying it all the way to the ground.... :ooh:

.... and celebrate.....

BW

flyer43
5th Jun 2005, 11:17
Forgot to mention this in my first post:--

If you smell something rather nasty during the flight - remember you are on your own this time!! This is probably a signal to relax a little more and enjoy the flight. You'd best check the instruments and for any other signs from whence the aroma might be coming if you are sure that you are relaxed.......

CS-Hover
5th Jun 2005, 15:28
Hi

pickup to hover and landback again a couple of times before you get airborne to higher altitudes/make patterns .....a couple spot turns maybe , too...

this will help you to "feel" the "new" flying attitude, and get a visual picture how it should/will look like on final/landing stage...

make your W&B (you allways should check it ;)), and revise if you don't need some ballast

good luck

regards

TiPwEiGhT
5th Jun 2005, 16:09
I remember my first solo, a while back like!

The R22 gets quite twitchy, so as a previous post said just relax and keep that arm rested on your leg.

It will be very quick at getting off the ground! TIP:- Raise the lever so slowly and you can't go wrong!

Remember too it will be very nose up in the hover and on lifting, so put the cyclic forward a bit before you lift to reduce the chance of moving backwards, it's ok if you slide forwards remember!

After a while of solo flights you'll be able to "feel" the aircraft off the ground and bring it up nicely!

Last but not least, enjoy the experience!

ThomasTheTankEngine
5th Jun 2005, 21:48
Everyone here as given a lot of good advice.

Just to add, Take your time, Don't be rushed (This would increase your pressure)

Do what your instructor brief's you on, Don't experment further.

erchie
6th Jun 2005, 00:23
Relax , and do what you were taught. Much easier to fly if you're not as rigid as a board.
Dont forget to get everyone to sign the back of your shirt before you tear it out.
All the best!!

Cross-eyed
6th Jun 2005, 01:15
I'm not sure about traditions on that side of the pond but over here, I always advise to wear a shirt that you won't care to ever wear again, preferably of a light colour.

DanRS
6th Jun 2005, 12:01
Maybe it's just me, but I remember on my first Solo the feeling that the helicopter was not slowing down, and that I had to really pull back to stop.

This is obviously down to the nose up attitide due to the lack of weight up front, but do be aware as it feels very unnatural the first time.

As many others have said, enjoy it and remember not to hit the xmit while you are singing :}

Cheers Dan

JAF0
6th Jun 2005, 16:29
Thanks for all the tips guys.

Im sure i'll be too nervous to be excited till after I land. :}

I think the first solo will only be hovering, with maybe some circuits, but I think they wait to see how the student does with the solo hovering.

Ill let you know how it goes anyway.

Cheers
Al

JAF0
7th Aug 2005, 16:18
Well I was a while waiting, with crappy weather and holidays, but I finally did it.

That was brilliant, flew out to the airport with the chief instructor, did a hover-auto and some spot turns, he signed me off, back to collect my usual instructor and back to the airport again.

I took it slow and watched everything as I was lifting the collective, but it just wants to go up.

It was weird I could actually see the other collective when I looked left :D

Thanks for all the advice people.

BigMike
7th Aug 2005, 19:39
Well done. It is a big moment which you will always remember. Good luck with the rest of your flying.

Cheers BigMike

g0lfer
7th Aug 2005, 20:53
Congratulations. It only takes about 2 years to come off the cloud you are on today. But don't think you now know how to fly! You always are learning.

Simon853
7th Aug 2005, 22:36
I'm surprised they don't adapt students to the weight difference by strapping in half the bloater's weight in ballast. Or are FTOs *that* desperate for the fuel savings?!:D

Si

cyclicmicky
8th Aug 2005, 07:49
Well done JAFO, its almost a year since my first solo and my face is still split from ear to ear, just got my ppl(h) and it just gets better and better.
The stick is in a different place (forward and left) and the little bugger does not want to come down does it!!...I was down to 15 inches manifold on my final approach and even then I had thoughts of a go around coming at me.
Keep it up...you will never have any regrets.
:ok: :ok:

JAF0
8th Aug 2005, 16:42
Thanks guys.

And dont worry g0lfer, I dont think I do, like one of my instructors told me after he congratulated me, now all you have to do is learn how to fly :D

I can't wait to do more solo flights, besides the confidence boost, it really makes you watch everything more closely.

If you f**k it up, its all your fault :}

g0lfer
8th Aug 2005, 19:17
JAFO

I always feel that I have flown better when flying solo 'cos I don't have that source of noise in my left ear!

You just seem to have more time to do things but if you have too much time, you're probably not doing it right. Enjoy.

Agaricus bisporus
9th Aug 2005, 12:57
Don't wear brown shoes with a blue suit...

JAF0
9th Aug 2005, 16:51
Not to be ungrateful to the other posters, but thats probably the best advice Ive ever gotten :}

Thomas coupling
9th Aug 2005, 18:34
The most important thing to remember before going solo is to make sure there is no-one else in the a/c;)

I bet you $5...you will end up singing somewhere in the cct!

212man
9th Aug 2005, 22:19
"Whoopety doo day, whoopety day, my oh my what a wonderful day!"

Oh no, that was just during aerobatics..... silly me!