PDA

View Full Version : Do mods abuse their power?

octavo
4th Jun 2005, 10:33
I responded to the "Breitling watches" thread with a post which I thought was slightly humorous and on topic. I said I had a certain kind of watch and asked if was disqualified from being a pilot since it wasn't really that big.

I also recounted it's features and finally asked if I needed to either turn in my licence or buy a new watch.

My post was edited by a certain mod saying "See thread title". I deleted my post but then I started thinking (Took a bit of a runup). Was my post that far off topic to justify it being erased? Or do certain mods abuse their power?

Maybe I'm just being a whiny deleted

helicopter-redeye
4th Jun 2005, 10:44
Hey, where's my post gone ????

ShyTorque
4th Jun 2005, 11:49
I've had whole threads deleted without explanation but didn't argue because as the old saying goes "There's no point having a position of power if you can't abuse it!" ;)

Letsby Avenue
4th Jun 2005, 13:29
"Maybe I'm just being a whiny deleted."

That post alone should get you banned...:rolleyes:

Well said, but bettter removed.

Heliport

SASless
4th Jun 2005, 13:50
It has been my experience that Heliport does an admirable job of moderating. He has taken me to the woodshed on a few occasions and I am the better boy for it. I know him to be quite fair and even handed in his application of the paddle.

He does stand out compared to some others....there is a mod in one of the other forums that definitely enjoys the position. Must be some unadmitted envy or something by the airborne tea server that causes the mod to be that way. The net result of that attitude is that I simply never visit that forum.

Genghis the Engineer
4th Jun 2005, 14:04
He does stand out compared to some others....there is a mod in one of the other forums that definitely enjoys the position. Must be some unadmitted envy or something by the airborne tea server that causes the mod to be that way.
I hope that's not me - in fact I'm sure it isn't, since I never fly anything big enough to get served tea on board.

Seriously, speaking as a mod of another area (and one junior in the PPrune hierarchy to Heliport), we all have to accept that Pprune is not a democracy. It's a benign dictatorship run by Danny and Rob, with the rest of us helping out. But, it's important to realise that we all help out for free, in our limited spare time in between running the aerospace industries of much of the civilised world.

So, if in that limited spare time we see something that worries us, we tend often to go for the easiest action of "delete it before it causes trouble". Or fairly often "move it to the mods forum, and let somebody else decide what to do with it". Anybody advertising is likely to get a more severe action, and as soon as it's spotted.

This is not democratic, it's the actions of people putting their spare time into running this wonderful thing called Pprune whilst trying to maintain their own sanity. Of course the majority who stick to PPrune rules, obey the golden rule "Never Post Pissed", and stay reasonable on-topic and off-libel do help enormously.

G

Letsby Avenue
4th Jun 2005, 15:28
N.P.P is the best rule there is!:O

SASless
4th Jun 2005, 15:36
Ghengis,

I specified "airborne tea server"...not "chairborne tea drinker".

Heliport
4th Jun 2005, 15:58
Ocatavo

Welcome to Rotorheads.
When you've been posting for longer than one month, you might notice that very few posts are ever deleted or even edited on this forum. There are two reasons for that.
(1) We operate on very few rules.
We don't intervene as much here as on some of the forums. Opinons will differ about whether that's the right or wrong approach, but we find it generally works well. Occasionally if we're not strict enough the PPRuNe owners intervene (almost always about advertising posts), as they are perfectly entitled to do - particularly since they finance this website.
(2) There's rarely any need to intervene.
Regulars soon get used to what's acceptable and what's not, and don't need to be told. Some discussions (often concerning helicopter ops in one particular part of the world) become a little over-heated at times and require mod intervention, but it's not a problem.
All this means that I can spend time doing what I enjoy most - reading interesting posts, building up the forum, merging threads to create information databases for future reference and encouraging discussion.

When posts are edited/deleted, our members very rarely question it.
Either they know why and don't need to ask or, even if they disagree with the decision, they take the rough with the smooth and decide our system works fairly overall. Or maybe they think it's just not worth fussing about.

You have chosen to start a thread complaining because your post was deleted.
Maybe it's because you are "a whiny ........" (what you said above.) Seems like it, but use an expression like that here again and you'll need to find another helicopter forum. Putting an * or two instead of letters doens't work here. Letsby's warning was right, but I'll let it go this time because you're new and, maybe you didn't know any better.

I'm now closing your thread.
Maybe because I'm abusing my power.
Maybe because I've got better things to do with my PPRuNe time than monitor a thread about such trivia.
You can make your own mind up which.

Heliport