PDA

View Full Version : When will Leuchars remuster as a Typhoon base?

abbotyobs
3rd Jun 2005, 15:31
Hey I know this may be pie in the sky for me, but does anyone have any rough idea when Typhoon will replace the F3 at Leuchars. My next posting is due early 2008, my wife has tartan inclinings and with a bit of luck etc etc!
Thanks!;)

Brit55
3rd Jun 2005, 23:02
Leuchars is indeed going to become a Typhoon base however, Coningsby is getting first shout on the new jet. Not sure if dates have been set in stone but I do believe that 2009 is a rough estimate. I think the only current F3 base with an uncertain future is Leeming but lets face it, will we need 3 Typhoon MOBs if tranche 3 does not materialise.

Hope this helps in some small way!!

abbotyobs
4th Jun 2005, 05:32
Thanks a lot, I take it the Typhoon OCU will be approx 6 months long!
Cheers

Bob Viking
4th Jun 2005, 17:03
6 Sqn are due to become the first tranche two Typhoon Squadron and will indeed be based at Leuchars. They are scheduled to do this in 2008/9 but looking at current production numbers I wouldn't hold your breath!
BV

hotshots!
4th Jun 2005, 21:09
I think they should concentrate on making Typhoon work and then worry about where to put it!

The F3 will be at Leuchars for a while yet.

Beermonkey
5th Jun 2005, 09:42
Probably be at Coningsby for longer than we would all wish as well!!! Bu**er. I also hear they are going to turn the HAS sites at Leeming into a giant printing press. Apparantly, less of a need for jets but definately more glossy brochures required......

frodo_monkey
5th Jun 2005, 11:54
Beermonkey,

Methinks you have a point about EGXE! Work is starting soon on the A1 between Dishforth and Scotch Corner, and word on the street here is that there may be one less junction for the Highways chaps to have to rebuild...:hmm:

FM

Brit55
6th Jun 2005, 22:25
I've heard very similar rumours however, having listened to Fighter Controller friends, sorry people I know, at Boulmer claiming to be closing, not closing or maybe closing all in one day, I feel that Leeming may yet have a shot at staying open. I'm sure most of the F3 drivers and navs would sooner see that place down south close tommorrow and keep Leeming and the nearby McDonalds open!

Frodo, as an F3 backseater, are you looking towards the E3 as a WSO once the last F3 is parked up as a gate guardian at RAF somewhere? I'm just curious as to what you guys have in mind once the AD world is single seat (not sure if thats a good thing I might add). Seems to me that there are going to be a lot of very good AD people out there having to completely rerole.

Archimedes
6th Jun 2005, 22:48
For what it's worth, Leeming is in the frame to be a base for the JCA when (if) it arrives. St Mawgan, Marham, Lossie and Cottesmore are the other potential bases. There was an announcement to this effect reported on the RAF website a while ago.