PDA

View Full Version : Staff Passengers, Worst Nightmare

T4Turtle
3rd Jun 2005, 13:39
My worst passengers of all time are Staff Passengers. Please don't misunderstand me, I don not paint everybody with the same brush as some staff pax are no trouble at all However, if pax are a problem they are generally always staff. The worst ever was a lady from BA personnel dept. She was upgraded with her husband (non BA staff) to Club World. As soon as they boarded the 'Lady' went straight into the galley and asked for hot tea for her and her husband. We had a full flight and the Purser politely advised that it wasn't possible to organise before take off. "You will make the Captain tea, why not us!" She demmanded. She did not get her tea. Consequently nothing was right from that moment on and I hadn't been advised of the danger lurking in Club World. The meal order had been taken by a fellow crew member and then I went out with the trolley. I correctly laid the tables infront of the staff pax and then held up a well presented plate of smoked duck and salad asking what starter they would each prefer. I can only describe the responce as like a kettle blowing its lid. "We said we didn't want a starter. What is the point....." I just couldn't believe it. I took the crap as I didn't know at that time they were staff pax. When I returned to the galley I explained to the purser that there were two unhappy pax and she asked; "Not the couple on the left?" I just couldn't believe they were staff pax misbehaving infront of full fare paying pax. The situation didn't improve. It got sdteadily worse. The purser wrote a four page report and the Captain had to come out of the cockpit to speak with the staff pax in the galley to give them a warning. The 'Lady' then verbally insulted the crew infront of the captain. The report was sent endorsed by the Captain and through the grapvine I heard that the lady lost her BA consessions for a year. What are your worst experiences?

CarltonBrowne the FO
3rd Jun 2005, 14:03
If I abused my staff travel perks in that manner, I would probably find my P45 waiting for me when I got back! Failing that, the ideal solution would be to cancel their concessions while they are overseas... let them pay full fare to get home!
The worst offenders I know of (ie only the ones bad enough for the cabin crew to tell us about) have been family of staff; why they thought it acceptable to treat someone else's daughter in a way they would never treat their own escapes me. :rolleyes:

PilotsPal
3rd Jun 2005, 14:14
As soon as I started reading Turtle's post, I guessed the staff in question would be of the non-flying variety. I am quite happy just to sit there as unobtrusively as possible and certainly expect to take my place behind fare-paying passengers.

flybywire
3rd Jun 2005, 14:34
I once had to tell off, in front of everybody, a couple of BA cabin crew commuting on one of my flights.
They were laughing, chatting, almost screaming in their seats while I was doing the demo, making it impossible for people to hear it.
After being told off hey became angry at me and complained to the purser, who of course backed me up :} what an embarassement.....for them, they were wearing the uniform as well!!

This kind of behaviour is unecceptable if it is a "normal" passenger, imagine when it comes from somebody who SHOULD know better!!!

On the other hand I've seen some crew treating staff pax really bad for no reason. Once I flew LHR-MXP on staff concessions and the crew were really horrible to everybody. They didn't know I was a staff passenger and I witnessed a few disturbing things done to passengers. When finally someone read the PIL and realised I was BA staff myself I heard one of them saying: "Oh well, she won't complain she's lucky enough we bothered to give her something to drink!" :hmm:
They had such an attitude problem I had only witnessed in my country's flag carrier before. They really made me ashamed of my own company. :(

FBW

ZoomZoom
3rd Jun 2005, 14:50
My father was a long time engineer in BA. I remember he used to insist that us kids dressed in our smartest clothes anytime we travelled. We were forbidden to even mention the fact that he was a staff member. I beleive Turtles right anyone abusing such a concession should have it taken away.

OZcabincrew
3rd Jun 2005, 19:31
I had a long haul Captain paxing on my flight the other day, he was extremely arrogant, wouldn't look at us when we were talking to him and seemed to act as if everything we did for him was wrong or second best. i must admit though, he wasn't directly rude.

My advice for staff travellers, shut up, stay seated, and don't be seen or heard.

Oz

lexxity
3rd Jun 2005, 19:43
I have had concessions taken off a couple of staff, only one of whom was a none flying member of staff. Remember it's a privilege NOT a right!For any member of staff to put another member of staff in an akward or embarassing position is just not cricket.

apaddyinuk
3rd Jun 2005, 20:48
I had a BA redcap from LGW a few weeks ago to BGI who insisted on food from First to be served to him in club!!! Arrogant as hell when he boarded so we knew he would be trouble, shame though cos the colleagues he was travelling with were absolute gents (and visibly embarassed)! When the purser was giving him his dressing down he tried to cover up by saying he didnt mean anything by it and that "I'm actually a really nice guy"!!!! :p

Flying_Sarah747
4th Jun 2005, 22:15
I've got the best story about this...You just wouldn't believe it!

LHR-AMS, a long haul, mainline steward in uniform was commuting home in Club Europe...I think he'd just got in from CPT.

He fell asleep before take-off, but we offered him a meal, at which he put his hand up in our face, so we thought what an idiot and continued.

A little before 10 minutes to landing he woke up and demanded he got a meal and some coffee...We gave it to him, to which he replied "How do you make your coffee on short haul, because on long haul we stir ours" We ignored his comment.

Cabin crew, 10 minutes to landing...We go to collect his tray, and he refused to give it to us, so we check in the rest of the pax, then go back to him. He still wouldn't give it to us...In the end we had to grab it away from him when the landing gear went down.

On disembarking, he pushed his way to the front, blocked the exit with his bag and went to the flight deck, in front of all our full fare paying Club Europe pax, pointing at the captain and first officer he says "You and you, out here NOW!" to which the Captain got rather annoyed at and told him to remove his bag from the exit and speak AFTER the pax had got off.

After pax had gone, there was a heated discussion between the crew member and captain, then he turned to the purser pointing in his face saying "I'm not finished with you Mr, I will be writing a full report on this."

In the end the captain told him to get off his aircraft, so the crew memeber left, and to this day none of us know what we did to upset this nutcase!

The outcome was that the crew member was suspended and we all had to come in and speak to his PE about the incident. Not sure if he's back with us now or not...Hopefully not!!!!!!!

redsnail
5th Jun 2005, 11:23
To all the FAs who look after me when I am paxing somewhere for work, thank you. :D

I fly with BA and bmi the most often. I also fly with easyJet too (I live at Luton). Also, Swiss and Air Luxor occassionally.

You can't miss our uniform, it's the one with the distinctive purple tie. :D

The ground staff at LHR also deserve a thank you too. :)

urdy gurdy
5th Jun 2005, 21:01
from a ground handling point of view
they are a night mare
only speak to us if they think being"nice" will get them a jumpseat
turn up late delay flights
"is there any chance on that other flight to london"(which leaves in 10 mins)
i aint talkin about all staff pax but there is a few who get my back up
at my place of work they even know each others DOJ priorities
etc
and query how did he get on before me
to which they get the standard "its a friend of the captain"
usually get reported
and dont become a problem for a while

Bodum
6th Jun 2005, 02:02
Im afraid I can only agree with the above stories.. I find alot of the time its always staff that give me the heeby jeebies..

Ive had eyes rolled at me when they have missed out on their choice, generally get lots of attitude and the best one lately was last week. 0600 service, paxing Tech Crew and door closed 4 mins late as we had to wait for him, he was a "must ride."

Considering This person was signing on, and not transiting from another flight I fail to understand this lack of responsibility. I get my butt kicked if I close the door more than 3mins late, including providing a written explanation, and had to make sure the delay code didnt get put down to "Cabin crew late to board" as it usually does.

Back to the post... Ive also had some really lovely staff on board. I was always told to Sit down, Shut up, dont ask for anything and never put your seat back, especially when in uniform. This doesnt seem to be the case anymore. :\

RaverFlaver
6th Jun 2005, 07:36
It's so true isn't it. They really are the worst and always break the rules.

Had a ground staff employee of about 20 years on board, texting away, asked her to turn it off, she smiled stupidly like it was her first flight and said "oh I just thought you couldn't talk on it".

Another was a travel agent smoking in the toilet!

Never ceases to amaze me.

RaverFlaver :)

blueloo
6th Jun 2005, 09:20
No offence ozcabincrew - but the service reputation at QF probably encountered on frequent occasions by the QF long haul Capt, probably gave him preconceived ideas about QF service and that may have translated into arrogant behaviour. I was paxing the other day with other crew and after entrees we needed a knife and fork, the look of disgust when we asked for this was amazing (and yes we asked very politely) - the Capts comment to me was, I hope she didnt expect us to eat the mains with our fingers? .......

As to whether this QF captain on your flight was arrogant? - Probably :} (but then again, in the same way I have broadly and no doubt unfairly painted QF crew, you may have unfarly judged him)

The problam qith QF CC, is that you either get fantastic crew, who smile are chirpy and go out of their way, or you get some right at the other end of the spectrum........

(Dons flame proof suit)

ozangel
6th Jun 2005, 10:37
They should know better... On christmas day just past, I had just completed my active duty (11hours by this point) and as a crew we were positioning to Norfolk for an overnight (another 2.5hrs of duty). The FNQ crew on the way back were having a nightmare of a time, as they were not used to doing a meal service, and 2 of the three had only been flying 1 week! The other one had been in the air 6months. Projectile vomit went over 5 rows, and in the end, 2 of us from the previous crew ended up clearing, cleaning up the vomit, and looking after the back of the aircraft. On finals, the excitement of christmas day and our overnight was just a little too much, and our rendition of 'I will survive' may have been a little bit offputing to the pax around us - completely innocent, but maybe just the wrong choice of song and perhaps a little bit off tune/loud...

I had a manager on once, on a CBR overnight he slipped into conversation that the cabin crew (on their glorious $24 grand a year or the casuals on as low as $5 an hour) were paid more than what they are worth. Charming guy, really made us want to give a shyte about him the next day. He had the nerve the next day to complain that the business class cutlery (we were doing a full business class service for 60 on a 1 and a bit hour flight with min crew) had the ansett logo on it.
Then while securing the cabin he started dressing down one of the girls, because the blankets had the ansett logo on them.

I had enough, i strolled on down, and basically told him that I would not have him interfere with the safety duties of the crew, and that if he has such a problem with the blankets and cutlery, than he should perhaps be looking into it himself...

The best can be travel agents, the worst can be travel agents... However, my worst experiences involve the 'Tour group leader', who takes it on as their personal challenge to be seen haggling every aspect of the service, seating arrangements etc. Some even tried to help with the service, and one insisted over me that I did have the authority to relocate pax before takeoff without approval from the captain... After she got quite offstandish and rude, I politely put her in her place, and virtually had to tell her that if she didnt sit down she would have to get off, as her standing was delaying the flight.

OZcabincrew
6th Jun 2005, 12:50
Blueloo,

You're completely correct, i find that aswell, you either get a crew which is fantastic or a crew who just can't get their act into gear and are terrible, that is with any airline, not just with QF. However, whatever the case, this CAPT was on "duty travel", no one was rude to him, the service was good by all crew and as per procedure, no dirty looks or snide remarks, he was just arrogant and for no reason, fair enough it could've been his personality i don't know, but there is no excuse to be like that to anyone. If he had a problem with the way the service was done etc, he was more than welcome to speak to the CSM later on.

At the end of the day, there is no reason to be rude, arrogant etc etc to anyone, especially on work time, there is always ways around it.

Oz

wingzakimbo
7th Jun 2005, 14:13
A very sensitive issue for both staff travelling as non-rev as well as for cabin crew.

I am now non-flying, working for a UK based airline and have also worked for BA on the ground for some years in the past. I have always adhered to

1) the rules for staff/duty travel which dictates your conduct on board, e.g. order of service (eg. if your first meal/wine choice isn't available etc......), not disclosing to other pax that you are staff etc etc

2) common sense. I always treat others as I would like to be treated. So why oh why I have to be treated differently because I happen to work for the same company as the crew is beyond me. Conversely, why oh why would I treat the crew with disrespect just because I work for the same company?

Apart from the obvious point 1) above I have never understood why the service experienced by staff or duty travellers should be any different on board, I have even heard fare paying pax commenting on the fact that they have noticed how much better or worse they have seen staff being treated as well as how they have noticed how staff travellers have been behaving less than professionally on board.

I have been treated like scum in First Class on BA (my wife was in tears at the end of the journey by the rudeness of the purser - but we still just smiled and made no comments to offend), and I have been treated like a king in Economy - but I would really prefer to just be treated like all the other pax in a courteous and professional manner. No special favours or snide remarks just standard service 'by the book'.

I will always make sure that crew are treated with the utmost respect they deserve and I would hope they will treat me in the same manner when ever I have to fly on duty or on staff travel.

EAAFA
10th Jun 2005, 11:11
I'm so glad I'm not alone in noticing that in most cases the worst staff travel pax are actually the relatives of staff, not the staff themselves.

What has happened to good manners? It's a pity that the relatives can't be barred from staff travel benefits in cases where the staff themselves are polite, but their husbands/wives are horrible.

Leezyjet
11th Jun 2005, 23:45
I just get onboard, sit down and shut up and even feel embarrased to go ask for a drink in the galley on l/haul flights.

Only thing I'm a bit cheeky with is the queueing in the airport. I'll always try and blag my way to check-in/list at the C/F desk to avoid queueing in the Y queue where there is no seperate stby desk, but I'm never rude when I ask and I will not ask if it is busy at those desks and if they say no, then I'd thank them anyway and i'd go off the the Y queue - although never had to yet. :ok:

:)

Human Factor
11th Jun 2005, 23:58
Staff Travel is a perk of the job. The ONLY reason for it is to get a spare seat on an aeroplane assuming it isn't full of people who have paid full fare. If you are lucky enough to get anything beyond Economy (or WT if you prefer :} ), fantastic but you have to remember that you paid £50 for this seat rather than £5000. Therefore, wind your neck in and accept that you rank somewhat lower in the pecking order than the Black Card holder in 1A. If I'm on an ID90, my main interest is getting on the flight. Which seat I'm in ranks somewhat lower. If I want to guarantee Club or beyond, I'll pay for it like everyone else.

jetupset
12th Jun 2005, 05:02
EAAFA:

"What has happened to good manners? It's a pity that the relatives can't be barred from staff travel benefits in cases where the staff themselves are polite, but their husbands/wives are horrible."

Absolutely!

Airlines can ban relatives only if they chose to - it has happened before. Also, staff members can ban their own relatives if need be. A friend of mine had 25 years in Air Canada. His sister got him in hot water with AC twice for behaving bad whilst travelling on his concessions. About ten years ago she was banned - by my friend, and *her* concessions have not been re-instated.

Good manners though? Well, I'm a small town boy now living in a (relatively) big and busy city - politeness and good manners are nowhere to be found, and I miss those nice things.

HF:

"If I'm on an ID90, my main interest is getting on the flight."

If I'm under time pressure I agree, but when I travel stby I try to keep time in hand. On long haul I prefer to thank the counter staff for their time and help and decline the Y seat - and head to the local town for another night in a hotel and bit more being a tourist.

I realy don't understand why any staff traveller must bring any anger or bad feeling into being denied boarding, we all know the deal - if there's space we get on, if not we don't. Same goes for behaviour onboard. The staff dealing with us are our collegues and should be able to rely on the rest of us not to make their day any harder.

Best wishes to all who have to process staff pax.

JU

/Edited for typos/

EAAFA
12th Jun 2005, 09:10
Jetupset,

Unfortunately with Qantas (which is my airline's Big Brother), the staff member not the misbehaving relative gets into hot water. Banning a sibling is one thing, but I can't see anyone banning his wife.

Case in point, I recently had an FO and his wife on my flight. She was rude from the moment she boarded, but the final straw was her behaviour when I collected the rubbish prior to securing the cabin for landing.

Of the full fare paying pax, 99% put their ribbish into the supplied bags given to them with their refreshments, except the FO and his wife. Now, the FO was busy writing something (he later said it was a eulogy), but his wife was merely flicking through the Qantas magazine. Their rubbish was loosely piled up on her tray table and some of it was on the floor. Not wanting to cause a scene, I cleared their mess, and the only assistance she offered was to lift her magazine a fraction higher out of my way. She didn't even thank me when I finished. I was going to let it go, but then decided to inform them of the terms and conditions of staff travel, one of which is not to place undue demands on the operating crew's time (eg expecting the crew to clean up their mess). Her reaction was to accuse me of being rude!

Her husband apologised, and even though I felt bad for him, I reported the incident.

Kiwiconehead
12th Jun 2005, 10:40
Having spent a number of years living a long way from my family with no staff benefits I'm really appreciative of what I now get.

But then I'm polite whether I fly full fare or subload.

It is a priviledge and I wish more people were disciplined.

One thing I did notice was last 2 QF international trips on subload the CSM gave me a customer satisfaction survey to fill in. Was it because I was nicely dressed in Y or because it said Staff on the passenger list.

harry the cod
12th Jun 2005, 12:54
EAAFA

Bit harsh wasn't it? I know we've all come across people like that but isn't part of the training supposed to prevent people like this winding you up. Okay, I know you get it every day and maybe that was the final straw but it reminded me of a similar story years ago. It turned out that this particular awkward passenger had been told by her GP that her husband had terminal cancer and the only thing on her mind was how she was going to tell him. Remember, a minute to say something, a lifetime to regret it!
As they say at interviews " If you could have handled it differently, what would you have done?"

MaximumPete
12th Jun 2005, 13:17
You reap what you sow.

I've used staff travel a lot before I retired but now with the cheapo fares we tend to go for the firm seats.

Always turn up looking smart, whether on a firm or standby ticket.

Be polite to the check staff.

Be polite to the boarding staff.

It works!

We've been upgraded on numerous occassions.

MP ;)

RatherBeFlying
12th Jun 2005, 14:06
I did not have to deal with my wife's behavior onboard when I had staff travel privileges as we were separated at the time and she was not informed of said privileges.

The young children were on their best behavior onboard.

For older relatives, perhaps HR departments should have them sign that they have read the rules and that their travel privileges depend on their following the rules.

I was always polite to all staff and invariably found myself and my children welcome.

An AC gate agent deserves a special note of thanks for upgrading some full-fare Ys to accommodate three interliners who got bumped from their own outfit:ok:

SamGuest
12th Jun 2005, 16:03
It's not just in the aviation business that this occurs... it always has and always will happen.

Many times in my past jobs ive noticed staff coming in acting complete arse holes.

ILS27LEFT
12th Jun 2005, 18:44
I have had ID90s for all my life.
I have been son of airline staff since born and then airline staff myself.
I have experienced bad and good staff travellers, both when I was a passenger or when I was working.
It is all down to common sense and respect for other people.
The basic assumption is that all concessions are a privilege and you are not entitled to the same rights as commercial passengers.
Anytime I have seen staff complaining because of long stand-by lists, missed flights, delays, setas,etc I felt sorry for the entire human kind.
This behaviour is unacceptable and they should be banned straight away whatever the rank.
I have even witnessed the following, you will not believe this:
a flight on a B777 was diverted to NewFoundland due to a medical case, a passenger needed urgent medical attention due to hearth attack.
Well, a passenger started complaining (he had an important meeting) with the CSD and the Captain had to intervene: this is another case of human madness. Nothing to do with staff in this case, it is just that some people are simply idiots, whatever the job they do.

:ok:

sixmilehighclub
12th Jun 2005, 19:24
I was positioning in uniform on a flight just behind the overwings. During the "please keep your seatbelts fastened, phones off, bags stowed...." pa on taxy after landing, I looked up and noticed a vs crew member texting away on her mobile. I stood up and walked two rows forwards to ask her to switch it off.

Though just 2 weeks later I was positioning again and another commuting crew member switched on his phone, which had received a text, prompting the crew just behind him to pa for phones to be switched off. I noticed it was him, he looked up and grinned then covered his mouth with his finger as if to say shhhhhhh!!! I was stunned.

speed freek
12th Jun 2005, 20:50
ZoomZoom,

exactly same situation as you mate, Father worked in BA as an engineer and all that. As for the code of dress, we continue it today, even though I don't think it's completely neccessary anymore, considering what I've seen other staff wearing. As for the double standards in service, this is Dad's brief as we walk down the jetty:

"If any of you mention we're staff, I'll leave you behind!!"

Shame it's like this. Oh well, you get what you pay for I guess. :{

Cheers.

Rollingthunder
12th Jun 2005, 22:50
With my mob you have to be on your best behavior. There is a dress code (mostly what not to wear) and you don't tell folks you're staff.

One of my staff had a guest on a guest pass, when we had those, and he created a bit of a scene in HNL with the gate staff. Apparently didn't like being treated like all the rest of the stand-by pax. That came to me as a complaint for investigation. I held a hearing. Guest was banned from further guest pass travel and staff member and family (for other reasons related to the guest pass) were suspended from staff travel for one year.

I've also written up a CSD for rudeness and arrogant behaviour when I had the audacity to question why the Fasten Seat Belt sign was on for 6 hours of a nine hour flight during one of the smoothest flights I've ever had. (He had conspired to do this to keep the pax out of aisles - not just during the meal service). Slimy little bastard was hauled up in front of his management.

browneyedgirl
12th Jun 2005, 23:41
Harry the cod,

Your judgement of EAAFA clearly shows that you do not know what it's like to deal with rude people on a daily basis. I applaud EAAFA for doing something about people who clearly showed no respect for his position. It sounds to me as if he was reasonable.
Harsh? I don't think so.

EAAFA
13th Jun 2005, 00:59
Thanks for the support browneyedgirl.

Harry the cod, to clarify, I'm a solo flight attendant and rely on pax to be co-operative. While I don't like being treated badly, it's something I can cope with when it comes from a full fare paying passenger. However, given the rudeness of the person in question (and she wasn't spaced out like the story you tell about a woman in distress, she was just plain rude), I don't think I acted harshly.

If I could change what I did, I probably wouldn't have said anything to her, but I would have reported her. I imagine she gets away with being a b***h throughout her life and not enough people tell her that it's not acceptable.

harry the cod
13th Jun 2005, 05:12
Fair enough.................

andyman_82
20th Jun 2005, 12:07
i flew my first staff travel flight not long ago..had the best crew and even sent in an email to the customer relations depatment coz i though the crew did a fantastic job... at first i was shy to tell the crew that i worked for the airline as i didnt want to be seen as another staff traveller who thinks they deserve extra but when i did they were so polite and asked me about my job and what i do it was really great!

keep up the good work cabin crew us staff pax can be a hand full lol jk

RevMan2
24th Jun 2005, 12:22
It basically comes down to everyone understanding the deal - the crew is there to ensure safety on board and to provide the airline's paying customers with a positive experience to reinforce brand loyalty; the staff traveller is there because it's a work-related privilege (or because they're on business or duty). Period

The staff traveller acts discreetly and dresses appropriately to avoid antagonising other passengers and doesn't make extra work for the crew (and is clued up enough to decline a meal if the flight is undercatered or a cosmetic kit if that's company policy.)
The crew acts as if the staff traveller is a normal passenger.
That's the theory, anyway.
Mostly it works, but you experience some absolute shockers (I'm somewhere up in the 2 million mile bracket by now, most of it on business travel...)
Good stuff like the CSD in First saying "Well, from your status, I guess you fly about as often as I do, so I don't need to give you the lowdown on the service" and bad stuff like being absolutely ignored by the CSD in First (different one..) to the extent that my neighbour was about to write a letter of complaint to the company.
Most of us are clued up about what the deal is, I reckon - it's just the idiot fringe of 1% that b***** it up for everyone

garthicus
25th Jun 2005, 18:35
Wow...

I'm ALWAYS early at checkin for Standby, at least 3 hours, I check the loads days/weeks in advance. I prebook a jumpseat if really urgent, but I NEVER expect it.

I'm polite to check in staff, never pull rank, always dressed in a suit.

I don't ding, barely leave my seat, I even take my own litre of water and snacks so that I don't have to bother crew. I take what meal I'm given and am grateful if there even is a meal for me. I sit quietly, I'm anonymus. That's the way a ID90 passenger should be and even if you ARE paying full fare ony ANY airline including your own, you should always behave like this.

From a happy ex Crew Controller.

Rongotai
25th Jun 2005, 19:31
I'm a father of BA staff, who travels far too regularly AKL to Europe, sometimes as a full fare passenger (when I HAVE to get there) and sometimes on staff travel (for personal travel).

In 30 round the world trips in the past 7 years I have therefore had to adapt backwards and forwards between being a treasured business class passenger and 'pond scum' as my son briefed me to understand my staff traveller status when he first got me privileges.

What I have powerfully learned from this is - there's no difference either way. If you treat people with respect and recognise their job constraints and pressures, almost everybody will treat you well and do their best for you. In 40 years of incessant travelling by air I have only had two bad experiences with staff in any class and with any status.

Yet every time I travel I see somebody else behaving badly and getting it back from staff. As it isso obvious what happens I can only assume that for some people demonstrating power is more important than the travel itself. And it istrue that if I want to observe human beings being ****s the most reliable place to do it is Heathrow T4 at staff check in just before the SYD flights close.

So thanks to all of you that have helped to make my travelling life almost always enjoyable, even when stranding me in BKK at midnight when I want to go home.

mikeymike
28th Jun 2005, 10:27
hi everyone

i would just like to add to this as this is one my pet hates

my father worked as c/c for ba for 25years, after which they gave him a letter and said thanks!

anyway i traveled to places as a child that my friends could only dream of going and every time school hols came around thay would stand in amazement when i told them of my travels to places like barbados, st lucia, asia, and oz, ok these are everyday hols now but 20years ago they wernt

my father allways made us were a suit and tie!!
we were told to sit in our seat and shut up and be gratefull we were on the ac full stop!!!!

why cant people be gratefull that they can travel for next to nothing, even when i was 9 or 10 i appreciated just getting on, sometimes we didnt

i myself followed my father into the industry and no work for a private airline

i travel on a full fair ticket paid for by my co, but i am still crew and try and make there life as easy as poss

tiggerific_69
29th Jun 2005, 08:29
i used my staff travel for the first time the other week and went over to DXB.i travelled with my bf who is 6'5",on the way out they moved us to an overwing and on the return they put us in WTP,which was nice of them.the only thing i was quite shocked at is that on a 6 hour flight there were only 2 bar services,i thought it would have been twice that,i am crew myself and on a2hr BCN or MAD flight we try and do two drinks runs.on the outbound they came thru once with water,but on the return they were fab kept coming thru with juice and water and timed the drinks nicely with the meal.the only thing i was bothered about was getting on the flight using an ID90,if we get upgraded or whatever its an added bonus.

Boeingmenow
29th Jun 2005, 09:13
I've travelled numerous occassions as a BA staff member (of the non-flying variety). I have probably travelled in Club more than WT or WTP. I have even had the pleasure of being in First on a 11hr flight (which was unlike anything I have ever experienced before on a flight). I accpet these are exclusive perks of the job and like the majority of people I am happy just to get on the flight. Yet, I do have one small complaint and that is....what is the point in having a dress code if some check-in staff don't even adhere to it. I was once at the stand-by desk (two years ago I think) waiting to be called forward for my flight. Before me were to girls dressed head to toe in denim and white trainers (at that time I had know idea where they were travelling to, or which class they were in), they didn't really thank the check-in staff very well, just a quick 'cheers' and dashed off. Then I was called forward, as usual I am smartly dressed exactly as per the dress code (smart trousers, and a open collar shirt as required for Club World eligibility). Well you can than guess who I saw sat in Club on my flight...yep the two girls dressed head to toe in denim and white trainers.

Again I was happy to get on the flight particularly as it was 25 over booked, but why have rules if people do not stick to them. Makes me wonder why I should bother making the effort at times. But sods law, I wouldn't bother one day and I would get denied boarding.

RevMan2
5th Jul 2005, 11:56
Tried to fly from HNL to LAX on one occasion on American - all togged up, with jacket, tie etc (this on a flight populated almost entirely by folk who looked as if they had drifted in straight off the beach - so much for remaining inconspicuous...) and accompanied by the good lady, wearing a silk jacket, cotton slacks and a white Ralph Lauren T-shirt. "I'm sorry maam, you're required to wear a shirt ..."
We declined their offer and flew with United!

NewZealand2
13th Jul 2005, 10:01
I travel on my fathers staff travel conssesions and i dress in a button up shirt, black dress trousers and black lether shoes even in Y class. I don't complain if something is wrong or anything. Thats how it should be.
Although i do sometimes let slip im traveling as staff, but usually only to the crew.

PS, im 14 yrs old.

mymymy
13th Jul 2005, 22:57
What about staff traveling with infants? I have a 6 month old and would like to bring him on holiday. Don't have a clue how he will react to an aeroplane ride.

Should I bring him along and not worry, or maybe wait until he is two?

I would hate to be included in the "worst nightmare" category.

Your thoughts appreciated

3my

NewZealand2
14th Jul 2005, 00:05
my mum took us kids in first class as infants, she never had worries, the crew (cx) were always helpful.

Qwannas
14th Jul 2005, 04:33
(I am not sure of where you are travelling to or how long your flight time is for the trip you are interested in taking....)

But, travelling with a six month old is probably going to be a lot easier on you than travelling with a two year old. Once they can walk around all they want to do is the 'circuit'! I also noticed that you mentioned 'he' - a two year old BOY just hates to sit still for any longer than say..... 30 seconds.

If you are going to travel with your beautiful boy when he is a toddler, a trick to making it easier (for both you and your bub - and every pax seated five rows either way) is to bring an extra piece of hand luggage packed full of little toys/blocks/books that will take his mind off the constant desire to climb over the seatback of the person in front of you!

I have done so many flights with my son (who is far more demanding at this age than his sister ever was) it has been a huge eye opener! Every trip is different. I have now learnt not to have any expectations and to just deal with each trip as it comes. I also dont expect to "sit back relax and enjoy the flight!" If I did that I think the poor crew and pax travelling with me would not be impressed!

Good luck! Enjoy that holiday :O

andyman_82
14th Jul 2005, 05:44
Omg staff travel is so hard to organise sometimes!! Will I get on??

SO stressful!!

If anyone here works for BA, Air France, Luftansa or SQ id really appreciate your help checking some loads of flights for me to get a rough idea if id get uplifted on an ID90 ZM Fare...any EK staff help wud be appreciated!!

:ok: :ugh:

andy

ps im trying to get from MEL- ATH :cool:

BYMONEK
15th Jul 2005, 12:36
ANDYMAN_82

Regarding your chance of an upgrade on Emirates......maybe the day hell freezes over. Sorry to sound negative but even as crew you are never upgraded, period!

BA on the other hand...............

Good luck anyway.

NewZealand2
16th Jul 2005, 03:11
my brother got upgraded (he knew the check-in lady)

(not staff travel though)

Nearly Man
18th Jul 2005, 10:39
Virgin lot have been great, really nice guys and girls when I was travelling friends and family.

BA bit hit and miss, cabin crew been nice but ground staff abroad seemed to delight in making me look like a muppet (easy to do) when I was on ID90's.

Thankfully, my outfit is small enough to still be friendly so when staff travelling there's no antics.

redfred
18th Jul 2005, 10:48
Regarding your chance of an upgrade on Emirates......maybe the day hell freezes over. Sorry to sound negative but even as crew you are never upgraded, period!

even as crew?

BYMONEK
18th Jul 2005, 18:42
'Crew' as in 'Crew' flying as a passenger, employed by the Company who, even if recognised by operational 'crew',would still not get upgraded.

BA299
18th Jul 2005, 21:04
The non-ops pax are the worst staff traveler (personnel dept win the medal).
When I travel with my ID I always report the Purser that I'm an employee and I ask to report to the captain that I am onboard.
Unfortunately I have to say that sometimes some cabin crew are not so polite to me as with the "normal" paxx.

Dnomyar19
26th Jul 2005, 06:40
Paddyinuk reported a LGW dispatcher causing trouble on a BGI flight.

Just to set the record straight, this passenger was in fact a T4 LHR dispatcher.

As stated the passengers travelling with him were extremely embarrassed at his unacceptable behaviour.

woodpecker
26th Jul 2005, 08:39
I picked up my wife's new BMW recently. Being a regular traveller (in her last one) I asked for an upgrade to the series 5 with no luck. Something about if I wished to pay the difference.....

RevMan2
26th Jul 2005, 09:28
BA299
I wouldn't think that notifying CSD/captain should be necessary, given that it's standard practice these days that both CSD and captain are provided with details of any "specials" including ID and their seat location at flight closure.

Rananim
27th Jul 2005, 10:29
A good FA never loses his/her temper with ANY passenger,whether fare-paying or staff on ID tickets(they are passengers too).Singapore cabin crew remain the industry's best and would never do this.WASPS(esp Brits) think its above them to be hospitable and respectful and lead with the shoulder.No wonder then that they reap what they sow.A Singapore girl,when she gets a demanding passenger,sees it as a challenge..can she tame the beast before the plane parks?Its entertaining to watch.But in any case they usually disarm any moron within seconds by using their charm and impeccable manners.

speedbirdhouse
27th Jul 2005, 12:12
CC of the world unite and bow to the Singapore Girl.....

BA299
1st Aug 2005, 10:01
RevMan2

In the first airline where I worked it was mandatory for all ID pax to report to the crew that you are onboard.
BA didn't require it but I think that it's polite to do so. It can help the F/A in the event of missing meals or others troubles.

RevMan2
1st Aug 2005, 19:35
BA299

Back in the good old days (when they charged for drinks before dishing them out for free before they reintroduced charging for them..) we used to let them know who we were in the hope of a free G&T.
These days they KNOW who we are - just let them get on with the job.

Sven Sixtoo
1st Aug 2005, 20:18
Hi

I have experienced staff priveliges a couple of times.

My bro-in-law is a BA pilot -

I was delighted to get a Club upgrade on our honeymoon.

One of my ex-service friends also flies for BA - when we found ourselves on the same flt in March a few words were enough to allow me to join him in Club.

On the first occasion I think we got First service in Club seats (never been out of Economy before so I wouldn't know - but walking off in SFO with a bottle of Champers seems a bit beyond normal service!).

On the second, as far as I could see we were treated exactly like the others in Club.

I hope we were no trouble!

Both were hugely appreciated, many thanks BA.

The only time I've had better service was when 32 Sqn gave me a lift once in Maggie T's reserve HS125 ...

Sven

STANDTO
13th Aug 2005, 21:14
I ask for an aisle seat, first two rows from the front. If I needed to be, I would be there. I would hope others would be in my role.

Only benefit is to be first off!

twisted-diamonddolly
14th Aug 2005, 12:36
I have been flying for 14 years and am a csd/ifs.

For me its chinos and shirt for shorthaul, tie and jacket aswell for longhaul. I get there early, I'm always ultra polite even when staff are being really grumpy and rude.

I'm always happy just to get on. Upgrades are nice but not expected. I drink water , decline the meal unless I'm starving and try and keep my head down.

My worst nightmare when in charge is the staff family ( normally flightdeck have to say) who manage to get on the flight but are seperated. They get on and and then try and revise the whole seating plan to get themselves together. Then they wonder up to business and see free seats and start demanding an upgrade for themselves and their family who are all dressed in jeans and t shirts..

EAAFA
17th Aug 2005, 01:25
twisted diamonddolly, I have to agree, it's almost always "flight deck" staff who are the worst offenders. Most are courteous and sensitive to the time constraints under which we operate, but a small minority are very inconsiderate.

It may not seem like much to them, but every request makes a difference to the time available for us (on short haul) to serve the full fare paying passengers.

mutt
19th Aug 2005, 00:17
2 of the best requests that I have ever overheard….

Captain there are 27 Air X Crew presenting their ID cards seeking upgrades.
Captain I have worked for this company for x years, im suffering from cancer and this is my final flight, I would like to know whats first class is like….

Mutt

Autobrake Low
19th Aug 2005, 02:10
I dont see the problem with helping out fellow staff with upgrades when on stby travel - unless it is against company policy. What is wrong with identifying yourself and asking if an upgrade is possible? We are all in the same job after all- granted that if a staff member or, his/her family then wants the moon on a stick and kicks up a fuss - well throw the book at them by all means. However some of the comments here about ' usually flightdeck' suggest to me that there is some resentment towards the sharp end crew when the CC are wielding the power!
Personally speaking if I am flying longhaul as pax (sometimes but not always) I would tell the CC I am crew and would ask politely if any upgrade was available. Surely the worst that can happen is an equally polite reply that it is not available - or not company policy- then you just take the seat allocated to you. - no damage done!!
Is this such a crime??
:confused:

cavortingcheetah
19th Aug 2005, 05:55
:D

Of course, if economy is overbooked then a staff/ fellow crew upgrade frees a seat in peasant class thus allowing a standby fare payer to travel.
Contentment all around? Above all, keep it low keyed and polite and try not to let fellow passengers twig.
I usually identify myself as crew at the gate or to the Chief Purser immediatley upon boarding. Once down the aisle as it were on a full flight; I usually find that the poor overworked cabin crew have enough on their plates.;)

crew-use-only
3rd May 2006, 13:48
The worst offenders for staff travel in QANTAS are our management.
Every flight I get on these days has some upstart! and they are they are very painful, they simply have no concept of staff travel.
However I must say that Nothing beats the Captains wife!
Faaark are they that suppressed at home that when HE finally takes them away on a free trip they act so uncouth!

verticalhold
3rd May 2006, 15:15
Positioned as crew more times than I care to think of with BA. I never had anything other than the same care and concern for a passenger that the crew give to anyone else.

On one occasion going home having been injured in an accident the gate got me pre-boarded and the cabin crew got me off last. The angel who took me to the rear galley and let me spread myself out in the available space will always be remembered by me as the very best of a superb crew.

Once in Miami the former mrs VH and myself were trying to get home after a wedding. BA was full, we were offered flights via JFK. Needing to be home for work we jumped at the chance. At JFK we were sent to staff travel. The chap on the desk apologised for the fact we had had to go via JFK (I was just grateful to be moving in the right direction!) and told us we would be on the first available flight. We were, and in first with the full service.

A letter of thanks to BA elicited the response "you were probably the only ones who were polite!"

N Arslow
4th May 2006, 01:40
Thank you to all the crews who have looked after me on my many flights either fare paying or ID90s. I hope I made sure you knew I was grateful at the time. Upgrades have happened more often than deserved especially on ID90s where my links are tenuous (and about to be cut) but thanks for this.
A tip to others in my position: Politeness and courtesy are rarely rewarded with anything less than pleasure ... and genoristy.

SkySista
4th May 2006, 09:02
The only time I'd go to the CSM/Purser and tell them I was crew is so they would know I was there should I be needed to help out in an emergency etc...

Saying that, I see no harm in people advising they are crew, esp if they are paxing to a duty, then the CC can try to minimise any disruption to them etc...

TooFiddy
4th May 2006, 23:04
I have had concessions taken off a couple of staffYou sound proud of it... :rolleyes: I know a place where you can get silhouettes painted on the side of your cabin baggy, if it makes you feel better.Remember it's a privilege NOT a right!A privilege??? WTF?? No it's not, it's part of the deal and half the reason why most hosties are even in the job. Management love it when people think the way you do, but the truth is:

-You do the job, they pay you.

-You put in a few years, they give you pension benefits/long service leave/whatever

-You purchase (PURCHASE!!) a very cheap ticket, and they fly you from A to B - but only IF there's a spare seat.

It's all part of the deal, kiddies. It's even in your contract but some people fill your heads with this BS about it being a golden privilege and you all believe it.

Being on staff travel doesn't mean you have to grovel and kiss everyone's a$$, just behave like a regular human being. Why TF is that so hard to understand??

Since everyone here agrees staff are rude sometimes and no one admits to being one of them, then just who the heck ARE the bad eggs?

And it's amazing how QF staff have such a bad rep for being rude to everyone in the cabin (and at check-in) including, it seems, their own crew, and then they start whinging that their own staff are being rude to them. Ahhhh, the irony.

(PS You people whinging about a staffy being painful should try flying to/from the sub-continent.)

lexxity
5th May 2006, 08:09
Just to defend myself, at my airline it is a privilage, it is not in our contracts. As for getting concessions taken off people, then yes I have no problem with my actions, why am I expected to take cr@p off people who work for the same company as me, yet feel that they can be rude, abusive and ignore all the basic rules of staff travel?:confused:

angels
5th May 2006, 11:09
Mr fiddy - A most interesting rant. lexxi has sussed you bigtime in that with her airline it is a privilege. You owe her an apology.

You also bollock people for having the decency to show good manners.

When I was last in Mosman it wasn't too bad a place apart from delays getting there from Dee Why caused by the booze buses on the Spit Bridge -- but if people with your surly and contemptuous attitude have moved in then its gone downhill. :oh:

Pip pip!

ThreadBaron
5th May 2006, 13:53
fiddy

Since everyone here agrees staff are rude sometimes

I assume you are staff and that this is one of your 'sometimes'!

Your ESP, evidenced by your knowing what is in others' contracts, should be telling you something just about now!

FloridaCandle
28th May 2006, 20:23
I used to work for BCAL years ago, and am still involved in travel though, sadly, no longer able to get concessions.
However, whenever I did fly on staff tickets, we were under the strictest orders to be on first class behaviour at all times, not just on the aircraft but on the ground too. We also had to dress immaculately, no jeans, trainers, etc, etc.

A couple of years ago I was on a full flight to MIA. There were a number of staff passengers boarded at the very end. I was in Premium Economy - seat 17A - nice bulkhead with space on 747. I'd booked online the day before to get just that seat! A few minutes after boarding a lady (?) approached in jeans and trainers and asked if I would move to a seat at the back of the cabin. I politely refused saying I'd really wanted to sit there. Her response - "I wouldn't want to sit next to a bitch like you anyway". Nice! Stupid woman though - she made her comment right in front of crew member who immediately reported it to CSD. I later saw him talking to her in no uncertain terms.

Had I done that as a staff member years ago, I would probably have never got a staff travel ticket again.

dustybin
29th May 2006, 00:36
I just had a staff pax like that tonight, he was a captain for another airline and when i asked to see his boarding card he drew me a dirty look. I'am sorry but a uniform is not a boarding pass ( you can buy them on e-bay). When we were going out with drinks he asked are they not comp? with an attiude. When i have crew onboard i alway offer them a crew tea or coffee but he didn't even get offered a glass of water, even the pax next to him looked embarssed.

However i have also been on the other side when i was going on holiday and the crew did not know i was crew. Everything was fine until i wanted a soft drink, i waited till after they had cleared in the meal service and went to the galley to ask for it only to meeted by such a cheeky member of crew. She huffed and puffed and informed me that they were about to talk a break even as she was standing next to the drinks cart. i told her i would wait but that drink service never came so b4 landing i asked if i could have that soft drink now to be greated by a hand in my face basically telling me to stop speaking, she also had her back to me the whole time. i was fuming, when she did give me the drink i told her to keep the change as not wanting to make things worse and i walked away. They gave me a questionaire to fill in and i had given them a good report up till then. I went back to me seat and wrote that i was crew and i would never speak to a pax like that and wrote her name down. A few minutes later she came over and apoligised for her behaviour and gave me my change:yuk: So she thinks it's ok to speak to pax like that? := That is just a few thing that happened that flight i would bore you still with the petty things she did. I was told by other people that she had a stressfull day but that is no excuse for speaking to pax like s:mad:

apaddyinuk
29th May 2006, 04:29
In my experience it is the operating crew that seem to have an attitude with staff passengers. I have been mortified on more than once occasion by my operating colleagues and their treatment of staff passengers I have had onboard. I also have had my mother who was traveling on a trip with me treated like a leper by a colleague of mine while I worked down the back!!!

In my airline there does seem to be a percentage of crew who seem to think that staff passengers in general are a burden yet these people are probably the first to expect the best service when they fly on standby.

I firmly believe that if you cant look after your own then you are not fit to look after anyone else!!!

But dont worry, I am not niave...yes I know there are some difficult staff passengers out there!!!

smile
29th May 2006, 05:54
I love seeing crew I know travelling on my flights!! They are usually the first to give me that "knowing" smile when dealing with painful passengers. Just warms my heart!!!

striparella
29th May 2006, 10:28
twisted diamonddolly, I have to agree, it's almost always "flight deck" staff who are the worst offenders. Most are courteous and sensitive to the time constraints under which we operate, but a small minority are very inconsiderate.

No, it's the flight deck SPOUSES!!

They're the rudest pax ever - especially when their husband is operating the flight. The demand the earth - whether i've been crew or on the ground.

I remember just a few weeks ago a FO's wife got all stroppy becasue she didn't know the address of where she would be staying her first night in the US, and the system wont check you in without it.

From the moment she stepped up to my desk she was rude and aggresive as if she was above everyone else because her husband was helping flying the plane and she didn't like it that she'd been made to ring him and find out the address as it apparently it made her 'look stupid'.

Was i bovvered? Was i hell.

apaddyinuk
29th May 2006, 15:07
No, it's the flight deck SPOUSES!!
They're the rudest pax ever - especially when their husband is operating the flight. The demand the earth - whether i've been crew or on the ground.
I remember just a few weeks ago a FO's wife got all stroppy becasue she didn't know the address of where she would be staying her first night in the US, and the system wont check you in without it.
From the moment she stepped up to my desk she was rude and aggresive as if she was above everyone else because her husband was helping flying the plane and she didn't like it that she'd been made to ring him and find out the address as it apparently it made her 'look stupid'.
Was i bovvered? Was i hell.

I think that is a massive and unfair generalisation!!! The VAST majority of Captains and FO's spouses I have had on board are always a pleasure to deal with. If you hold this attitude about them before they have even boarded then it probably shows once they get on board and yeah, quite deservedly give you hell! Suggest a review of your CRM skills here. As for having them at the check in desk, same applies.
My mother is a Captains wife, I am a captains brat and from the moment I could talk I was always told to "sit down, shut up and if I press the call button I will be grounded for a year"!!! I was always polite to the crew and I always brought chocolates for them (something I still do except on the commute to DUB cos lets face it, I do it so often now Id be broke...sorry guys and gals). After all, its all about personality. If you have none and the green eyed monster appears of course you are going to hate them.

striparella
29th May 2006, 16:42
^

So from YOUR experiences you say they are good people - so that makes it gospel?? From MY experiences i am saying that they are the worst staff pax.

I think you need to check your own attitude - my customer service skills are nothing but exemplery but i will not stand for being spoken to or treated like **** on someones shoe just because their husband is flying the aircraft.

Good customer services skills are not all about being nice and subserviant to everyone all the time, it's also about being able to assess the situation and resolve it in the best way you can but if someone doens't want to hear it - there's not a lot you can do to help them whether you're being polite and helpful or not.:p

And that IN MY EXPERIENCE is the catergory Flight Deck's spouses fall into.

PS - What's all the crap you are chatting about green eyed monster? You think i'm jealous of people that rude and obnoxious?!?!

wiggy
29th May 2006, 18:09
Wow, and some Cabin Crew accuse us "Flight Deck" of being rude and lacking people skills.

So your customer skills are "exemplery" (sic)? Well modesty obviously isn't your strong point and judging by the way you are prepared to sound off I guess your CRM isn't up to much either. As apaddyinuk said, I think you are making a massive, unfair and incorrect asssumption, but I guess you don't care.

I look forward to not flying with you in the future...

TightSlot
29th May 2006, 18:41
Calm down please...

tart1
29th May 2006, 22:07
striparella I am sorry to hear that you have had this sort of flight deck spouse on your flights.

I was the wife of a captain and, on the few trips I managed to go on, I was always extremely courteous and appreciative to the cabin crew.

It was (sometimes) my experience that cabin crew were not very nice to me to begin with...........perhaps they had some previous bad experience with other captains' wives, as you describe. I usually managed to win most of them round with my pleasant, co-operative, considerate and friendly manner, but it would have been easy to be put off by their initial attitude.

It's a chicken and egg situation really. Neither person should pre-judge someone just because of who they are.

I agree with apaddyinuk though.........it is a massive and unfair generalisation to say that all flight deck spouses are like this, just because the ones you have dealt with have not been very nice. :hmm:

apaddyinuk
30th May 2006, 06:56
Oh Striperalla, You sound like a delightful individual with wonderful interpersonal skills as you suggest. Shame your internet manner is not the same.
By your attitude, if I had not been a check in agent myself in a past life I could say that ALL Check-in staff are flippant and arrogant, but fortunately I know that this is not the case. :ugh:

Remember, Treat others as you would expect to be treated. If they treat you badly, just be calm and greatful you are not them...or their husband!

flybywire
30th May 2006, 12:26
As for my experience, the worst nightmares I've had were caused by Reservations staff who upgraded themselves through their computer system at the last minute and didn't inform anybody.....so on the return sector we eneded up with +6/7 pax in Club and NO EXTRA MEALS...very unfair on us having to try to arrange things and find a solution at the last minute!!!

It happens every other day....Captains are getting fed up by the delays all this causes, but I am sure that after all the reports we've sent, our company will finally look into it!!!

I agree with Tart and Paddy, saying that all FC spouses are rude is a bad generalization. In other companies it might be different, but in mine and especially my base most of their wives/girlfriends/partners of both sexes know the airline industry quite well or are in fact part of it too. I have always had good experiences I have to say. I have also been on some of my other half 's trips and I would hate to feel that my very own colleagues hate me just because I am his girlfriend!!!!!

What I do not stand though is crew in uniform laughing and talking really loud while we are doing the safety demo.......please guys, do not make me act like a kindergarten teacher!!!:E And one other thing for those staff "mums and dads"......you have no excuse here, you should know that your kid must be secured for take-off and landing, so do not make me call the captain and fasten that seat belt!!!!

Aaaaahhhh.....feel better :ok: