PDA

View Full Version : Super Frelon to fly in Cape Town?

Deanw
3rd Jun 2005, 09:27
From another forum:

Also, the SA321 Super Frelon ZS-HTN (the long time resident at Lanseria) has been sold to the compnany in Cape Town (HeliCape, I think) that operate the Huey flights. Seems they have plans to return it to the South African skies.

This aircraft was given to the SAAF (SAAF Museum) during the 80's by a certain central African country which used it as a Presidential helicopter. As far as I know, it has never flown in South Afrca.

Balloothebear
3rd Jun 2005, 11:21
Now there's an interesting one!!
Wonder how he is going to get by the technicalities..........SA 321 Super Frelon, there is only one of its type on the ZS register,the corrosion on that machine from sitting out on the various ramps at FALA is pretty serious.
In the 80's and 90's there were a handful of Atlas and SAAF boytjies who kept them in the air at 15Sqd.Wonder where they are going to find drivers and licensed engineers?
SB and AD status of the airframe and engines should also raise a few eyebrows at our beloved CAA airworthiness department.
Good luck to the guys if they can pull it off, it will be great to see a flying"Putco" again.:ok:

Putcodrvr
3rd Jun 2005, 11:33
If they get it flying again, I will volunteer to fly for beers only!:cool:

clipboard
3rd Jun 2005, 15:55
Mmmmm, a truck was supposed to pick up the wreck from FALA today. They will never get that thing going. The "affirmative teams" working around FALA used to use the toilet onboard, and with years and years of sh1tting in there..... can you imagine???:yuk:

Another pipe dream to fly 34 pax in a piece of uncertified... never to be certified scrap. Here we go again!

Rumour has it that "Supervan" is going to sell shares in it, franchise it and take over the helo tourism industry in SA. Watch this space for more details!:D

What a joke!:ok:

SASless
3rd Jun 2005, 17:39
Is there a great big Cheshire Cat laying upon a tree limb somewhere watching the goings on down there?:E

MBDriver
4th Jun 2005, 10:58
Incorrect Deanw, It we flown by 4 well know chopper drivers at oyster bay off loading chokker from a stranded fishing boat in 88.

4HolerPoler
4th Jun 2005, 11:38
When, as I remember a storm came through overnight & bent one or a few of the blades the wrong way. Would be great to see a Putco airborne again.

4HP

Life'sShort-FlyFast
6th Jun 2005, 08:38
4HP you are correct and if my memory serves me correctly, it was put together with 'beg, stolen or borrowed' parts and flown to FALA from Cape Town. The approval for this flight was a one off. SD was the captain and I am not sure of the other crew members. It has been parked at Lanseria ever since. Sad sight! There was interest in getting it going again during the Mozambique floods. This idea was scrubbed when the negative potentail was weighed up against the positives. I do not believe that we should hold our breaths and expect to see the machine flying.

SASless
6th Jun 2005, 13:54
From the way it sounds....if you do see it flying...you better hold your breath!

Gauteng Pilot
6th Jun 2005, 16:06
What happend to the Original SAAF ones ?

Deanw
6th Jun 2005, 16:29
Of the 14 surviving SAAF examples:

4 are preserved (302 ThunderCity, 309 Swartkop, 312 Durban, 314 Ysterplaat)
3 were sold as non-airworthy (304, 305, 308, of which 308 is the only survivor)
7 were sold and scrapped (301, 306, 307, 310, 311, 313, 316)

Commander 690
15th Jun 2005, 07:51
"corrosion on that machine from sitting out on the various ramps at FALA is pretty serious"

Balloothebear Check your facts, The Helo is Clean there is no corrosion in her at all...

"Mmmmm, a truck was supposed to pick up the wreck from FALA today. They will never get that thing going. The "affirmative teams" working around FALA used to use the toilet onboard, and with years and years of sh1tting in there..... can you imagine??? "

clipboard... She was not used as a toilet at any point... I have some pics of her on the back of the truck.

tusker
15th Jun 2005, 12:27
Here we go again, : To see the Putco flying again would really be great. The last time it flew was back from Humansdorp where the "Spook" and the "Horse" lost an engine in the hover with plenty vrot fish on the hook. The thing was flying on "Ancom" borrowed bits from all over, including an engine and the odd scrap blade. Since then, the "Bims" are all red and the motor she is not.
If it were a project by the "normal people" then we really have a winner and it could do us proud. Unfortunately, the same as the Huey will apply, scrap bits from the SAAF "has been " sale and backyard mechanic mentality with "locally self certified" traceability on those slightly expensive and hard to find bits.
Also, for those who can remember, when a Putco gets airborne out of the Waterfront you will find little Elvis and Red Airways having to go pick up their helicopters from the Makana pad, or even better, the harbour entrance.
"Same monkey, longer chain"

Deanw
17th Jun 2005, 07:16
Apologies, Super Frelon 302 is still in Durban, earmarked for the Transport Museum.

bearman
18th Jun 2005, 06:10
Hey! just seen 312 loaded on a low bed truck passing through East London this morning Sat 18th looks like going in the direction of Cape Town. Looking quite sad broken windows, paint faded tail rotor assembley off. Any ideas where she is going?

glimmerman_alpha
21st Jun 2005, 10:42
Saw the Frelon at Supervan's pad next to the N1 on Sunday.

I take it that they took delivery then. Wont be surprised if he put that thing at his V&A pad next weekend.

Crazy people:p

They might even have their super engineer fly the thing...