PDA

View Full Version : Avery strange storey.

Loose rivets
2nd Jun 2005, 22:53
following some spam advertising anything from Rolex replicas to Financial advice, i notice what seems to be a strange storey at the bottom.

in is in tiny font and is nonsense...a bit like a typing tutor might push out randomly.

i you feel it would be safe, i'll copy some to this forum. LR

sky330
3rd Jun 2005, 05:32
Most probably it is random letters/ words to try to fool spam filter.

A lot of spam filter works by statistical analysis of the content. Roughly, they computed the 'probability' of every word to be spam and if the total for the message is higher than the limit, it is considered spam.

A message containing a word like 'sex' specially in accordance with 'free', 'big',.. has a great probability to be spam.
But a message of ten pages having only one occurence of the word 'sex' and associated with words like 'species', 'monkey' is probably genuine.

So they add words / letters, to try to lower the statistical analysis of the rest of the message, but as it is not part of the message they want you to read, they put it in very tiny fonts or try to put in the same color as the background, if it is html.

Loose rivets
5th Jun 2005, 21:13
That makes a lot of sense...thanks.

Of all the answers that i guessed at, that was not one of them:=

Maxflyer
6th Jun 2005, 09:23
As long as it is not a message to the fith columnsists! You can never be to careful!