PDA

View Full Version : aircraft down in Sudan

an-124
2nd Jun 2005, 16:29
CNN reports there is a russian pax aircraft down in Sudan
5 people killed
was taking off from KRT bound for Nth Dafur..
Anyone have any further info

aerotransport.org
2nd Jun 2005, 17:18
Marsland Aviation, An-24

/A

tomatolover
2nd Jun 2005, 18:43
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=8679292

Bit more info

Otterman
2nd Jun 2005, 21:09
Just landed in Khartoum on my way to Addis Abeba. The crash had occured three hours before our landing. The aircraft was lying next to the lights at the end of runway 36. Right wing showed fire damage, left wing was up high in the air. Was a bloody hot day out there. Temperatures of 45 degrees C during his take-off. Was told about eight people had died fifteen wounded. The flight became airborne, and reached about fifty feet and came back down, going off the end. Was a "heavily" loaded airplane. That is all I know, will have to wait for the officials to finish their work.
Greetings O.

Bishop of Baku
3rd Jun 2005, 23:29
What is it with these Antonov’s?

As soon as the ILS is repaired another one wipes out the aerials. Usually it’s just the U/C on a ‘normal’ departure snagging the poles. Sorry it has resulted in loss of life this time (again) but whose performance figures are they using?
The rest of us have to live with the complications of a VOR approach in a sandstorm with 3rd world R/T.
I know these outfits are hauling aid a lot of the time but they are getting paid by the KG so the temptations are there.
Something needs sorting out in KRT before there’s a real pile up.

Fox3snapshot
4th Jun 2005, 11:57
We can't even standardize units of measurement in the worldwide aviation industry, so the chances of uniformly regulating safety at an international level are even more far fetched.....:hmm:

montys ex teaboy
5th Jun 2005, 23:09
Fox3snapshot

Lets not forget the (one) all important language that was agreed but no one can agree to impliment!! Need I say more?

dusk2dawn
6th Jun 2005, 05:07
Oh yeah - spanish, wasn't it ?

latetonite
6th Jun 2005, 08:23
Kathoum is a hot place. After 9 in the morning temperatures sore well about 37 degrees, and performance now degrades `exponentially`. Your ten knot head wind also usually goes away and now comes the fighting with ops to offload A LOT. Even if you insist and convince you cannot personally weigh the cargo or pax for that matter, so you have to trust your loadsheet...feel how the plane flies and check the cruise performance. But this is after take off..
Been fighting myself, and left..

Bishop of Baku
6th Jun 2005, 10:30
If the company is knowingly providing false load sheets then the AOC needs to be pulled.
In our A320 passenger operation it is not uncommon to get 6 different versions of the load sheet in 5 minutes in KRT despite the gate closing 30 mins before.
I have no faith that this prang will attract any more CAA(Sudanese of whoever) pressure than the numerous other such overloading accidents.

barit1
7th Jun 2005, 12:20
Yet another case for the use of measured acceleration to confirm performance early in the T/O roll. Check my May 21 post here. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=148355&perpage=15&pagenumber=43)

Phileas Fogg
7th Jun 2005, 12:35
Excuse me for making the point but were it to have been a 'G' registered aircraft it would be condolence after coindolence.

Because it's not a 'G' registration there is speculation after speculation, what about the blOOdy ILS and not a single word of condolence to those that lost their lives.

Point taken?

Techman
7th Jun 2005, 12:44
Phileas Fogg old boy,

You should know the PPRuNe SOPs by now.