PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter FI job vacancies

Xrated
2nd Jun 2005, 13:46
Having recently obtained my CPL(H) and FI(R) on the R22 I have been somewhat distressed at the current lack of restricted Instructor positions available in the UK.

My current club is very quiet and there is insufficient work for the chap who is currently working there. It appears to be quiet generally everywhere at the moment!

Does anybody know of any clubs/organisations currently looking for a restricted FI ?

Where is the best place to look for Heli Instructor vacancies apart from PPRuNe ?
Does anyone know of a website commonly used for advertising helicopter vacancies?

I would currently consider Australia and the States to get my foot on the first rung of the ladder.

Bravo73
3rd Jun 2005, 09:48
X,

You might be better off asking this in Rotorheads but here's a couple of suggestions to start looking at for the UK market:

Helidata (I can provide a website address via PM if needed)
Flight International (very occasionally)
'Personal network' (ie who you know - BUT, be prepared to travel, even if it is just for a 20min TL)

Unless you've got 'right to work' (ie passport, greencard or visa), I wouldn't even bother with the States or Oz. They've got plenty of their own low time instructors to fill entry positions. Plus, there's the additional cost of converting your licenses.

Out of interest, I'm guessing that you did your FIC when the CAA lowered the requirements to 250hrs, did you? Well unfortunately, so did lots of other chaps & chapesses which has led to the current abundance of FI(R)s on the market.

Hope this helps,

B73

Xrated
3rd Jun 2005, 21:15
I actually had over 300 hours when I did my course so my total hours are now close to 400.

I'm suprised there isn't a decent website for advertising helicopter vacancies like there is for say IT jobs on JOBSERVE. Perhaps there is an opening here maybe!

I hear what you're saying regarding work abroad.

I suppose I need to keep hustling.....

Bravo73
4th Jun 2005, 07:23
No worries. Sorry to be a bit too presumptious on my part. But, unfortunately, lots of people were waiting for the requirements to come down then all took the course at the same time, hence the glut.

I know what you're saying about a centralised resource but unfortunately I don't think that there would be the demand for it. Think of the number of IT positions available (and the corresponding number of people looking) compared to the number of FI(H) positions available... Helidata's about your best bet, I reckon. It's certainly where I found my job!

Drop me a PM and I'll pass on some pointers that I gave out to someone else recently. Every little helps, I guess (to coin a particularly bad supermarket tagline!)

Regards,

B73

Wood Cutter
14th Jun 2005, 10:56
On no account should you look at working for a heli training school in Al Ain (UAE). The company is called Horizon and there is a whole thread dedicated to it in the Rotorheads forum..

Fore warned is fore ..., ahhh, where's the beer???

ThomasTheTankEngine
19th Jun 2005, 21:28
There was a company looking for a FI(H) in the north east, Advertised in Helidata, I think with 400 hours you have a beter chance than some other guys out there, Do you already have some real instruction time?

My advice is get a copy of the BHAB hand book, Also look on the internet (Do a search for heli companies) and phone every heli school, They will ask you to send a CV but start talking to them.