PDA

View Full Version : UA ticket

ricky-godf
1st Jun 2005, 15:44
Hi
I hope here is the right forum to post this.
I have a United Airline ticket MCO-IAD-JFK-LHR but since I'll go to New York earlier, with another carrier, for personal reasons I will fly just the JFK-LHR sector.
Do you know if there is any possibility that UA could make me pay an additional fee for this (to me it sounds strange, but who knows?) or even refuse the boarding if I present myself at the check in gate straight in JFK.
I know I should call UA directly, but here where I am now (Rio de Janeiro) the apparently incompetent lady told me that it should be better to reissue the ticket... of course to make them gain money.
Cheers

heinzmanm
1st Jun 2005, 16:14
From my own experience here in the UK, if you fail to show for any previous sectors of your flight, they class you as no show and your ticket would be forfeited for the whole journey.
I was planning to do a similar thing and miss out the DUB-LHR sector of my flight and only fly LHR-JFK but was unable to do so

Matthew

PaperTiger
1st Jun 2005, 18:44
No doubt about it. As soon as you fail to show for the first segment, your entire itinerary will be cancelled. Depending on the fare class you may or may not be entitled to a partial refund, although I seriously doubt it.

redfred
2nd Jun 2005, 09:35
depends if you have a flexible fare or not, if its a high fare in y class or equivalent the chances are the ticket can be reissued but as you will go down as a no show you'll probabaly be hit with some sort of penalty, but if its a cheapy ticket you'll lose it completely, im sure you can get intouch with UA wherever you are and if you do it before departure you may be entitled to some sort of refund

Scottie Dog
2nd Jun 2005, 11:06
As has already been said, it depends whether you have a restricted ticket or not. Certainly you will suffer problems if you do not cancel any sectors before the JFK-LHR.

If you want to PM me (or email) with the exact details of your ticket - fare paid, tax,date and place of issue, fares basis, flight nmbrs, dates and booking class - then I will give you any feedback from the point of view of a travel agent.

Scottie Dog

mutt
3rd Jun 2005, 03:04
There used to be a scam where travel agents issued multi sector tickets A-B-C-D-E with the intention of travelling only from C-D. This resulted in a greatly reduced price due to the multi-sector pricing rules. Airlines realized that the loop hole existed and tried to close it.

I cant comment on your actual ticket, but dont be surprised if the airline doesnt accept you in JFK.

Mutt.

Scottie Dog
3rd Jun 2005, 07:57
Check your emails for a fuller reply, but I am in agreement that you are unable to change the routing of your ticket - you can change dates/times by paying a penalty of USD100.

Scottie Dog

Eboy
10th Jun 2005, 12:27
Please be aware of a relatively-new United policy that allows you to cancel your non-refundable-ticket reservation, but use that itinerary within one year without having to reschedule at the time of cancellation. You must cancel before the trip was supposed to start. This, basically, let's you put the itinerary on "hold" for up to a year if you have a problem.

Of course, you can always reschedule now and pay the change fee, but the new policy frees you from having to reschedule and pay a change fee when you do not yet know when you are going! I have used this policy myself a couple of times successfully. Eventually, you do pay the change fee when you finally reschedule.

I have also been able to change United non-refundable itineraries to make them multi-city as long as the departure and arrival cities remain the same.

Regarding United telephone customer service in foreign countries, you can ask them to connect you to United US customer service where you may have a better experience. Many non-US offices have that capability.

[edited to change "foreign" to "non-US"
:)]

ricky-godf
15th Jun 2005, 23:28
I've done it sucessfully, without paying any fee.
Thank you all.
Bye